Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

The Ultimate Track OIL Temp / Pressure / Starvation Thread!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2018, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
i don't drive more than 4-5/yr. could probably live with one change a year if not for the track days

on the 5w30, not the race oil
Old Feb 1, 2018, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
Are you dead set on going with the electronic valves? Everything I read is that the orifice isnt large enough so the volume of oil being pushed back from the Accusump when needed is lacking. I too would put it in my trunk if that weren't the case but if all the racers prefer the manual ball valves that'll be my approach so I just need to find a good spot.
Yeah the convenience and mounting options along with some conversations with the guys at Canton got me to go with the electronic valve. Pre oiling was most important since the car sits a lot. (It has 21K on it). The discharge rate is slower but they explained that has some pluses and minuses when it comes to recharging. I'll have to put some break in miles on the car and I'll keep tabs on it to see how it performs.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-accusump.html

If you look in this thread you'll see the fitting used to connect to the OFH which converts things to AN. He used a NPT which is close but really that fitting is BSP tapered threads according to my research. I know personally Im using a 42 draft designs adapter currently for my oil pressure gauge and its BSPT so that's how I came up with the BSPT spec.

Im thinking Ill move my oil pressure sender to the pre filter side and setup the accusump where the current sending unit is. Either way still need to track down a 3/8 BSPT to -10AN

Is JIC 37 the same as AN? Bc once again Im seeing theyre close but not necessarily the same. I friggin hate oil leaks so If much prefer a perfect seal.
So I was curious what people are doing with an Accusump AND a oil pressure sensor. Which fitting is the "pre-filter" on the OFH?

For maximum flow rate, wouldn't a sandwich adapter be optimal (1/2")? https://www.cantonracingproducts.com...ion&key=22-568
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Is that your OFH from an IX? Ill take a look at mine tonight but I think mine is a little different. It appears as though your factory oil pressure sensor is chilling there whereas mine is on the back of the block.

Im not sure about your question about maximum flow but I guess its a function of where the current bottleneck is. Personally, I never liked those sandwich adapters. That to me seems kinda ghetto and another potential leak point.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
The OFH is different between the 8 and 9.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Yeah thought so. Does the IX get its oil for the MIVEC in the back of the block where the VIII's have the pressure sensor or something?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 01:31 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
wrong thread.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is that your OFH from an IX? Ill take a look at mine tonight but I think mine is a little different. It appears as though your factory oil pressure sensor is chilling there whereas mine is on the back of the block.

Im not sure about your question about maximum flow but I guess its a function of where the current bottleneck is. Personally, I never liked those sandwich adapters. That to me seems kinda ghetto and another potential leak point.
I feel like 3/8" OFH to -10 AN SS hose is a bottle neck...

Inner diameter of SS -10AN Hose is 0.563 in, and I'll ignore adapters decreasing flow cross sectional area because I don't know wall thickness. Assume a fixed flow velocity.

Volumetric Flow Rate (Q)
Q = flow velocity * cross-sectional area

3/8" fitting = 0.110in^2
1/2" fitting = 0.200in^2

I'd think that would make the volumetric flow rate of the 1/2" fitting 1.8x larger.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

I did some of my Accusump install.

The tank mounts on brackets that sit below the strut brace.

A waterproof grommet is on the front passenger side of the tire well, just below the brackets. I used a 1/1/8" hole saw and painted the edges before installing grommet

Tank and hose installed, Have all wiring in the trunk, will tackle that next.

Hose exits the grommet and runs over fuel tank

Rubber insulated clamps along the frame rail to keep hose up against the floor. Clamped to empty stud on the firewall also. Will route the rest when there is a motor to connect it to.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice set up above!
Old Feb 6, 2018, 05:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I think your engine might be in the wrong place...

Originally Posted by BillAce
I did some of my Accusump install.
The following users liked this post:
Nimpoc (Feb 8, 2018)
Old Feb 7, 2018, 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
I think your engine might be in the wrong place...
Apparently you didn't know about the rare mid engine option. The package also included a 15" VTA BOV, high wattage COP and fully programmable ECU (DSP). It really improves the driving experuence IMHO.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Don't forget to change your amp fluid.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Its a sealed hybrid electric amp, just needs to be plugged in. Its the way of the future...
I'll be mounting the upgraded oil cooler and making a new air guide for it and my aftermarket bumper next. Just need the weather to cooperate.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm currently prepping an Evo 8 RS for track duty and obviously oil starvation is one my concerns. I see that oil accumulators don't seem to solve the problem, just help it but most of the datalogs I see seem to come from people using manual valves?

I recently spoke with a tech from Accusump and he strongly recommended using an electric valve as to maintain enough in the accumulator to be able to use when you really need it instead of having it slowly bleed off whenever there is a slight pressure differential.

I also asked if the 3/8" port on the oil filter housing we commonly use was enough, he said that he does not recommend ever going smaller than that. Maybe we would be better off with a larger port via sandwich plate?

Quick Reply: The Ultimate Track OIL Temp / Pressure / Starvation Thread!