Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2010 World Challenge GT Series

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2010, 11:40 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 World Challenge GT Series

I have a quick question. I wanted to know why the Evo is not in the World Challenge GT Series.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 12:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Because nobody is.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In 2009 they moved the EVO into TC class with a bunch of rule changes. So the guys who built the 2008 GT class car gave up. World Challenge is losing guys to other series these days.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:46 AM
Former Sponsor

If EVERYBODY petitions Grand Am, I bet we could see a couple Evos homologated for GS by the end of the year to battle the STi! LET'S GET ON IT!!!
Old Jan 25, 2010, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

I am really not familiar with the SCCA series but from I found on line, eligible cars in the GT Series go from Lambo's to Volvo S60...so why was the EVO X placed in another class? Was/is SCCA afraid of the competition? Changing eligability all the time is more than frustrating and suggests exclusions are based upon limiting the types of entry cars. It can't be because of AWD drive since some of the above are so equipped. So what is the stated reason for moving EVO's to another class...I am sure it is very convoluted aka bulls****t.

Later, Ken
Old Jan 25, 2010, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KPerez
bulls****t.
This. They do what they want without reason. The EVO from 2008 wasn't even up to pace and they dropped the car into ST in 2009.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jid2
This. They do what they want without reason. The EVO from 2008 wasn't even up to pace and they dropped the car into ST in 2009.
it was awalys at the back and it awalys got lapped theres no point in racing if you cant win or at least be competitive. probally didnt have enough money.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by matt@works
because nobody is.
this
Old Jan 26, 2010, 01:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Yeah, as awesome as SWC was a few years ago, it seems the high price and low marketing potential of the series sent people to other race groups. It sounds like it wasn't SCCA that moved them, but more the teams felt they can't be competitive in GT so asked to be homologated in TC instead. SWC TC should be a cool class this year as long as they have the consistent teams that they need.

As I mentioned before, if Evo racers petition and say that convince Grand Am (in Continental Tire Challenge) that letting an Evo X race in GS class would attrack n-amount of fans, NASCAR would likely allow the homologation process to continue. I KNOW for a fact that if the rules were in place, there would be Evos racing-- further diversifying that class. I'll be in a Camaro all year and I'd love to have a quirky battle with a lighter AWD car!
Old Jan 26, 2010, 03:20 AM
Evolved Member

What ever happened to the factory (Riley) Camaro's that were built to race in the Koni Challenge?
Old Jan 26, 2010, 04:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by newevil
it was awalys at the back and it awalys got lapped theres no point in racing if you cant win or at least be competitive. probally didnt have enough money.
I am confused here: the EVO was supposedly removed from the GS Series because it was not competitive AND the currently listed eligible cars are competitive. This makes no sence since the Volvo S60 is one of those cars. Are U telling me the Volvo is competitive with a Porshe or Lambo? No way, unless they put a bizzilion dollars into it which I doubt. Second, the EVO, specifically, the FQ has been shown to outperform a Lambo a la Jerome on Top Gear some years ago. Yes, it was an EVO 8 or 9 which is lighter but the X has outperformed these earlier EVOs.
Bottom Line: Something other than being competitive or potentially competitive is keeping the EVO out. If it is the politics of SCCA, I can accept it but do not like it. That said, it is inaccurate to say EVO's are excluded because they are not competitive.

Later, Ken
Old Jan 26, 2010, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

The Volvo's are competitive, but it's because they have the best team in WC (Kapax) supporting them and two of the best drivers (Randy Pobst, Andy Pilgrim) driving the cars. That team would make ANY car competitive. The EVO that campaigned really was getting lapped every race and had budget issues.

WC is dying a speedy death, they need to move back a few steps, and go back to near production cars. They continue to allow all kinds of new stuff on the cars while keeping the same CRAP tires (R888) which aren't nearly up to what those cars have to offer.

It all started with GM bringing a factory team in to race CTS-V's then all hell broke loose. This series is dead if they don't do something quick. All the teams are fed up with it. Too hard to get sponsors with next to no TV coverage.

I guess we'll see how the VS thing works out this year. But I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks Bluestreak for the clarification. In short, the cars that have the $$$$,no matter what the car, are allowed to participate; those that do not, are out. It is too bad AMS did not enter their Time Attack X...that would have put some sweaty palms on the other entrants. I guess they had better fish to fry. And yes, it appears that this was GM showcase to try to get sales up on Monday.

Later, Ken
Old Jan 27, 2010, 06:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by apex electric
What ever happened to the factory (Riley) Camaro's that were built to race in the Koni Challenge?
I'm driving them this year... ...as well as the Camaro GT.R in Rolex for a couple races. It's a change being the biggest pony in a pony race!

The Volvos are VERY competitive. They have a massively powerful 5-cylinder, an awesome AWD system, and a great chassis and body platform. The Evo has a tiny 4-cylinder, a weak AWD system, and terrible aerodynamics. It did take a lot of money from K-Pax to get those Volvos competitive, but I feel it may take even more to make a decent Evo.

GS is the place to race for those cars. There was some political hacking that took place when NASCAR took over the series. Cars homologated before the buying of the series were allowed into GS, cars that were not are disallowed. The reason is that NASCAR is afraid of the need to deal with constant performance modifications with the Evo-- they're already quite busy with our Camaro, the Audi S4, and the Subaru WRX STi! They feel their effort to add an Evo to the mix won't be worth the relatively small demographic. This is why petitioning may bring a change, proving to GAC/NASCAR that the demographic is very large and active.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Mat, I am totally confused with UR last post. Specifically, U say, " The Evo has a tiny 4-cylinder, a weak AWD system, and terrible aerodynamics. It did take a lot of money from K-Pax to get those Volvos competitive, but I feel it may take even more to make a decent Evo." First, the STI which U mention is in the series also has a 4 cyc engine. Clearly there is no difference between a Subaru 2L and a Mitsu 2L ? Second, please show me the evidence that the EVO's AWD is "weak" relative to the OEM systems of the S60. Volvo until recently never had an AWD system while Mitsu has been racing and developing theirs for over 10 years. I suspect the AWD system on the S60 entrant is not OEM and mods to it, if not completly replaced, costs big bucks, very big bucks. Third, AMS EVO X Time Attack track car got 751whp from the "tiny 4-cyclinder"to which U refer and has won some major events with it as evidenced by this http://www.metacafe.com/watch/363876...me_attack_car/ . Fourth, I do not have the figures for what K-Pax put into their car but I will wager it was orders of magnitude more than AMS spent. Bottom Line: This racing Series, while it lasts, allows/recognizes only those cars that have put in sufficient $$ to become competitive. The only reason the EVO X is no longer accepted in the GS series is because of the apparently minimal funding from the entrant to do same...not because its platform is incapable of doing so if the $$$ were available as evidenced by AMS's Time Attack car.

Later, Ken

Quick Reply: 2010 World Challenge GT Series