Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Where is the best place to try out seats?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2012, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is the best place to try out seats?

Hey guys and gals, I have been looking at racing seats online, but that only tells me so much. I don't want to buy a set of seats without sitting in them...I am in Michigan, does anyone know of a good place I can go to and sit in a bunch of different seats? I am willing to drive a great distance. Can anyone point me to the right place? I don't want to buy a set and be disappointed. Thank you in advance.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would say if you're at the track from time to time, ask people with the seats your looking at what their thoughts, likes and dislikes about the seat are. Then ask them if you could sit in it just to to get a feel. I have done this a few times while looking for a seat.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ReaperX
I would say if you're at the track from time to time, ask people with the seats your looking at what their thoughts, likes and dislikes about the seat are. Then ask them if you could sit in it just to to get a feel. I have done this a few times while looking for a seat.
That is a good idea, and I will do that, but I was just curious if there is some race shop somewhere that has a bunch of different seats. I realize I could just buy a set of ____ (input big name seat company) and more then likely be extremely happy with them I just want to find the right fit for me.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
seats will also come in various sizes. test sitting is very important.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOizmm
seats will also come in various sizes. test sitting is very important.
This is exactly why I made this thread.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 07:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Look into your local autocross group. If the events are big enough (50-100 people or more) then you'll probably find some good opportunities and opinions at an event.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Go to a local driving event.
When I was looking for race seats I felt like Goldilocks sitting in all those seats.
Most folks at HPDE, autocross etc will have no objection to letting you try out their seat. I was able to sit in quite a few in one day, and make the right choice.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

I normally go to the local road courses, but I will look into the Autox events as there may be a lot more people at them. Good suggestion.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 11:10 PM

I'm 6'1 180lbs I really like the fitment on sparco seats and they are also good on price.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
A few other questions that can help narrow things down?

What organizations are you running with? Class? some have minimum weight rules and may require it to be FIA certified.

what budget are you working with? under $500, $1000?

I'm using the Corbeau FX1 ($320) seat in the regular (smallest) size. Fits me very well but anyone over 175lbs seems to have a problem sitting in it. (I'm 5ft10, 155lbs) But thats perfect, the seat by itself should be enough to hold you in place, not the harness. (I'm not saying to forget your harness)
Old Jun 7, 2012, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOizmm
A few other questions that can help narrow things down?

What organizations are you running with? Class? some have minimum weight rules and may require it to be FIA certified.

what budget are you working with? under $500, $1000?

I'm using the Corbeau FX1 ($320) seat in the regular (smallest) size. Fits me very well but anyone over 175lbs seems to have a problem sitting in it. (I'm 5ft10, 155lbs) But thats perfect, the seat by itself should be enough to hold you in place, not the harness. (I'm not saying to forget your harness)
I am trying to get the car lined out to run in NASA TTU, a small hurdle to get over. I may actually turn down the power and run TTS, I am still on the fence. There may be a thread started for everyone to give their input. I am wanting an FIA approved seat with a budget of $850 give or take.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Keep in mind that with NASA, a FIA seat is only good for 5 years without a seat back brace. ( personally i wouldnt bolt a seat back brace to any seat not made for it!)I have an outdated sparco evo seat that I would sell cheap.

Edit, not all groups require this because it's highly debatable!

Last edited by jerdeitzel; Jun 7, 2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jerdeitzel
Keep in mind that with NASA, a FIA seat is only good for 5 years without a seat back brace. ( personally i wouldnt bolt a seat back brace to any seat not made for it!)I have an outdated sparco evo seat that I would sell cheap.

Edit, not all groups require this because it's highly debatable!
You only have to worry about the expiration dates in the racegroups. Even so, all you need is an $80 brace - or something custom (like I have) to keep it legal.

If see the OP is in Michigan, there's a NASA event this weekend in South Haven if that's anywhere close to you...
Old Jun 8, 2012, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

I did not pass tech for TT with an outdated seat! They even called Dave Royce for verification. The closer to a racecar you have safety wise the more strict they are to following race prep. Stupid, yes!

Fwiw, I wasn't really happy with that call but there is a clause in the rules that says they can require higher levels of safety for a TT car if they feel it's necessary.

Last edited by jerdeitzel; Jun 8, 2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Seats -- measure your ***/self. Go to NASA events - 1 to drive, 2 to test seats.

My TT car when though race tech. Why? It's a race car. Dave and I agree there. Not stupid - safer. Motor sports is dangerous. He, as the Director, takes the heat if there is an incident.

Some of us in TT have been talking about making TT closer to PT for rules/safety. If you look at the GL group. 90% of us have race cars that are at least half-caged.

Quick Reply: Where is the best place to try out seats?