Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Safety Equipment Discussion (Seats, Harnesses, HANS, Rollbars/cages) [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2010, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
+1 On everything mentioned. Sync of the sholder/seat/bar/belt level is very important. It's always best to go sit in the seat first, but if you cannot you can have someone measure you sitting down and compare that to the specs. Also check out HMSmotorsports.com as they have all of that plus they usually hook up a club discount if your a member of one. I believe they're the only US distributor/service center of Schroth so everyone else gets it from them. You can score fiber/kevlar FIA seats in the $550 range as well from various sources. Only other thing i'd mention is if you are going to get a HANS, i'd also look at the 2 inch sholder/3 inch lap hans compatible combo's as they fit a bit better then a standard 3 inch.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 09:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
A couple years ago when I got my HANS, I was advised by a well regarded shop here that, while there are HANS specific harnesses (which they sold) with the narrowed shoulder belts, that HANS themselves recommended a 3" belt over the device. Not sure if that is still HANS' recommendation...
Old Dec 30, 2010, 09:48 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While we're discussion safety, what brand of HANS device are you guys using? Ihear the HANS brand itself aren't all its cracked up to be, and that there are much better solutions out there.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chu
While we're discussion safety, what brand of HANS device are you guys using? Ihear the HANS brand itself aren't all its cracked up to be, and that there are much better solutions out there.
The guy from US Race Gear (http://www.usracegear.com/) is at all our local NASA events. He actually doesn't like the HANS. It's been proven to crack collar-bones and crush the chest in certain impacts.

He's recommending the Hybrid or Hybrid Pro Rage. Here's his .02 for input:
They are far superior to a Hans or Dfender (same technology for both of these) in SFI certification crash tests. * see attached chart. Also, I Hans was only designed to work up to a 45* angle of impact. The Hybrids protect at all angles including side impacts. A Hans will not protect you here. That is why Grand Am and ALMS have required right and left side head nets. Also, the Hybrids are much kinder to your body in the event of an impact. A Hans or Dfender uses your chest for leverage to hold your head back potentially resulting in broken collar bones and ribs. A Hybrid uses the straps to dissapate the load without injuring your body.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
A few brief thoughts:

-- a fiberglass seat is safer than a tubular construction seat and often more comfortable;

-- you may want to consider a seat with wings up top to keep your head from moving too far to the side to prevent neck injuries in sideways impacts;
Maybe OMP WRC for me and OMP TRS for passenger. I did originally eye the WRC but moved to TRS due to cost.

-- a good quality full face helmet rather than an open face;
I wear glasses but think I could work it out

-- once you have harnesses and a roll bar, it probably makes sense to disable your airbags when on track (SCCA recommends against airbags with full face helmets);
I'll look into this

-- it's possible to mount the inside harness mount to the seat frame rather than drilling a new hole. It's generally a good thing for the belts to share a mounting point with the seat so that they move together in a collision.
Is that what this picture shows? I haven't taken my seat out before.

Originally Posted by boomn29
I assume you had snap sub belts for the eyebolts and bolt in for the lap? That's one reason I liked the Schroth, is you can choose which attachment method it comes with. Granted, you could always just swap them to your liking as you apparently did with the G-Force. If I had to do that anyway, I might as well save the $100 and get the G-Force.

Nice find on the OMP FIA rated seats for $369!
Cheap seat, but still FIA rated.

You can get quality belts a little cheaper, Scroth is a good name, but a LOT of people use G-Force and you can get the camlock belts for $150 here:
http://www.saferacer.com/g-force-pro...?productid=952
I looked into this one first but flipped because of the mounting topic above. I guess it's a non-issue, though.

I have an Autopower 4pt bar - with reinfored backing and G-Force harnesses myself. I've had a range of seats, but after the stocker it's always been FIA and Sparco.

I have my belts mounted to the stock holes seatbelt holes. Below are some OLD pics from 2008 when I first set everything up. I used grade 8 bolts from Lowes/Home Depot.
Yea, I've read through this thread and just about all others on here regarding harness and seat installs.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:48 AM

I was reading posts in the past about bolt on roll bars vs. welded in cages..

Most people were arguing that a bolt on wouldn't protect you in the case of a roll..Not sure how accurate this is, but maybe some of the road course races in this thread could give you some insight.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Well of course a bolt in roll bar won't compare to a welded in cage. The backing plates will help prevent a potential 'Mustang roll bar through the floor pan' incident.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
fire extinguisher, if you live or race in the hot dry area, rule of thumb : never stop on grass and so...
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
on the side note i dont understand how people can compare the shroth to the g-force...
I mean not just the weight and look itself....
about FIA rated seats price, if its too cheap then check date on them, they might be already expired or you have a half year left....

Last edited by Robevo RS; Dec 30, 2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
on the side note i dont understand how people can compare the shroth to the g-force...
about FIA rated seats price, if its too cheap then check date on them, they might be already expired or you have a half year left....
^this. Just cause it passed a test doesn't mean it'll work 100% of the time.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by delongedoug
Well of course a bolt in roll bar won't compare to a welded in cage. The backing plates will help prevent a potential 'Mustang roll bar through the floor pan' incident.
I would do a "hybrid" bolt-in cage in your case, where instead of using a backing plate to sandwich the shell, I'd have reinforcements welded to the shell and drilled to accept the cage feet. The advantage is that the reinforcements can tie into structurally beefy bits like the sills, and they're going to resist punch-through much better than just a backing plate on the other side of the shell.

Having a reputable cage builder weld in 4 reinforcements shouldn't be that expensive, and it does quite a bit to mitigate the potential "Mustang" event.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
I said it's not for racing. I don't care if it expired a decade ago, I don't have a rulebook. Of course nothing's 100% with a dangerous activity, but expirations are a non-factor for an HPDE car.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Important read:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/art...fighting-fire/

I realize that you might feel a bit silly in a suit during an HPDE, but when I first started out, mostly driving with PCA HPDE's, I was surprised by how many of the drivers would have a suit or at least some form of fire protection.

A good majority of my instructors had on Nomex under cotton pants and shirts, full balaclava, SFI gloves and shoes. Anything that buys you a few more seconds in a fire......
Old Dec 30, 2010, 01:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by goforwand
Read the article. Wow...
Old Dec 30, 2010, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Yup...

Quick Reply: Safety Equipment Discussion (Seats, Harnesses, HANS, Rollbars/cages) [MERGED]