Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Racing mirrors

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2011, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Racing mirrors

I would like to ask what mirrors are available and who has experience using them on the race track? When I bought the used Siebon doors from Kyle at Hot Lap Motorsports (speaking of him, what's he up to these days?) they came with the little formula mirrors on stalks. They are not proper for a sedan because you are too far away, for them to be useful. Out side of stock mirrors which work very well what choices are there? The ralliart style mirrors for sale everywhere never have a picture of the actual mirror. Being that rally cars could give a damm whos behind them are they a good mirror to use in traffic at the track? I have a wink rear view mirror that works well but I wonder if I should just install stock mirrors and call it a day.

Last edited by apex electric; Apr 27, 2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

I'm using the stock side mirrors but an AllView rearview mirror that clips on to the stock mirror. If you have a cage, they have ones that mount to the bar instead. Very panoramic and I can see out both my rear door mirrors/blind spots quite well. Ok, not the driver's side, but that's because I have an OMP RS-PT seat with headwings that block a lot of sight. I'm happy with the purchase but being harnessed in and unable to adjust your head much while having your peripheral vision eliminated is not ideal. I've only been out on track with the setup once but was ok with it.

Old Apr 27, 2011, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
I agree, my eyes are bad as it is staring at a computer screen all day so the smaller mirror option was out for me as well. I figured the OEM mirrors were sac'able in the event of some rubbing so a $ carbon mirror wouldn't make me any faster.

+1 for the allview, i'll be picking one up soon and bolting it to the cage. Mirrors are like free spotters so the more you can see, the more advantage you have.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant...egory_Code=MIR

Ordering that tomorrow.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

I thought Dave is asking about side-view mirrors, not rear-view mirrors? Dave, in the event you want to hear about side-view and rear-view mirrors, ill tell you what ive experienced. Im happy with the current rear-view mirror that i have, but i havent been able to resolve my side-view mirrors.

In the event someone reading this who doesnt have any experience with this matter, here is what i recommend. If you can, DEFINITELY look at every single mirror before you buy it. Advertisements, and even pics from friends arent going to help you. Even if you know someone who has the mirror you want and they tell you what its like, go see it in person if you can. Because choosing mirrors is a preference issue. At least that is my experience.

When i first started looking into all this, based on the pics and reviews that i had read, i thought i was going to love those convex type mirrors. The longacre 17" mirror was recommended by a lot of people and after seeing pics online i thought i was ready to buy it. Good thing i didnt. A friend that i race with has one, so i went to see his. I was really disappointed when i sat in his car and saw the longacre convex mirror for the first time. It was way too narrow (top to bottom), and it was way too convex which hurt my eyes and made me dizzy every time i looked at it. When i say it was way too convex, its curvature was too extreme not only side to side, but also from top to bottom. I was really disappointed and didnt know what my options were at that point. And i also realized that whatever other mirrors i found i would have to see them in person.

I ended up looking at a few that i found, ranging from wink mirrors, and a few convex mirrors like the longacre one. I believe one of them was the Allview. Funny thing is i ended up choosing a mirror i didnt see in person. I couldnt find anyone in my area that had one, but i found a racer in Norcal and he emailed me some pics along with his experience. Out of all the rear-view mirrors ive found, this one is the biggest. Beyond that, it comes it 2 types, a flat version and a curved version. I ended up buying both. I bought the curved one first. I like it because its curvature is minimal, but it still bothers my eyes a bit. But its much better than the longacre one. So i ended up buying the flat one also. Ive measured it and its around 17.75" x 3". I wouldnt be surprised if i find something better someday, but so far, this is the best one ive found for me...it doenst really bother my eyes, and its the biggest:

- Five Star Flat

The pic they have is obviously not great, but you can see both the flat and curved one. Just as a heads up in case you guys call that place... From what i recall there are 2 people that typically answer the phone, a girl named Alissa and a guy (forgot his name). The girl was really nice, but that guy was a headache to deal with. So if you guys call, ask to speak with the girl, or the manager. I think the managers name is Ed. He was really helpful and nice also.

As for side-view mirrors, im still looking around. Ive also considered those Ralliart side-view mirrors. Ive seen some threads from Socal guys who have replica versions, so im looking around to see if i can find someone so i can see it in person. If any of us sees them in person, we should post the pics here. So im still running my OEM side-view mirrors, but ive added some cheap circular convex mirrors on the inside of my car. I was hoping that if theyre good enough i would just remove my OEM ones. But im not excited about them so ive kept my OEM ones.