Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Video of SCCA T2 National Championship

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2011, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice Marty! Always cool to watch a properly driven Evo win.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

So wait, they tore engine apart. Who pays for this? Do you make sure they put it back together properly, or can you have it put back together on their dime? I don't think ill trust them tearing it apart and putting it back together and be in good working order without even double checking the work before the next race. Or was it you who took it apart for them and put it back together? Im sure some of the gaskets needs to be replaced since it breaks the seal and all that. Sucks if you have to eat all this teardown bs costs.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Way to go Marty. Per your comments at the interview, it would have been real easy to overdrive those rain tires when the Mustang started pulling away, but you kept your head and stuck with your plan. Very well done sir!
Old Oct 3, 2011, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

In general, NASA has much less restrictions on what is allowed as long as the power/weight is met. SCCA does not have a ton of National classes that the EVO fits into. The classes that do, T2, STU,STO all have pretty set rules as to what is allowed. Aero is a big one that is highly regulated, as is some engine mods and turbo upgrades. (In fact, from a refresh glance at the rules, you cannot run an aftermarket turbo in any class.). Some of the gutting the dash and other stuff that i see alot of folks do is also illegal.

Last edited by jerdeitzel; Oct 4, 2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Great drive, make it three in a row next year!
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:20 PM

Great driving and great video. Keep it up
Old Oct 4, 2011, 07:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Pure EvoIX
So wait, they tore engine apart. Who pays for this? Do you make sure they put it back together properly, or can you have it put back together on their dime? .
+1, interested in the answer to this too...
Old Oct 4, 2011, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As far as Tech teardown. We have to tear it down with the tech inspector instructing us what to do ie take out turbo restrictor, pull off turbo, take off head, remove cam from head etc.. Then they inspect bore/stroke, check for porting or coatings of intake and exh etc... A tech inspector is always with the car once its impounded and you are not allowed to touch the car unless the inspector says so. Tear down takes between 4-5 hours. Then you push your car out of the tech shed to your paddock. So as it sits half of my motor is in my trunk. Last year we decided to slap another HG on and run it another season. I plan on freshening up the motor this time. Its a pita but of course its worth it. Funny part is the tech inspector was amazed at how exact the numbers were, I guess he was used to doing Chevys or something.

Marty
Old Oct 4, 2011, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Seems like a big PITA. If this was big money racing, I wouldn't see the issue. You already met the Pwr to Wgt ratio to be eligible, so that seems like overkill. IMO of course.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 08:32 AM

Sweet!
Old Oct 4, 2011, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by metalsaber
Seems like a big PITA. If this was big money racing, I wouldn't see the issue. You already met the Pwr to Wgt ratio to be eligible, so that seems like overkill. IMO of course.

to some it is big money racing as far as how much they spent. Ford Racing spent a lot of $ on the Mustangs-they were a factory backed effort as well as Nissans factory backed effort for the 370Z. The highest one I heard this year (remember is amature with no prize money other than contigencies) was the Porsche in STO. From what I understand he spent over 500k this year to win the Runoffs. Most of that was the cost of his car at 300k.

Marty
Old Oct 4, 2011, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Galant VR-4 #34
to some it is big money racing as far as how much they spent. Ford Racing spent a lot of $ on the Mustangs-they were a factory backed effort as well as Nissans factory backed effort for the 370Z. The highest one I heard this year (remember is amature with no prize money other than contigencies) was the Porsche in STO. From what I understand he spent over 500k this year to win the Runoffs. Most of that was the cost of his car at 300k.

Marty
yeah I meant prize money. However $500k to win a Runoff event. /gulp
Old May 9, 2013, 03:40 AM

Ucs ftw!!!!