Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Balrok's ST2 Racing Debut

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Balrok's ST2 Racing Debut

Well, at long last another long time coming thread. This weekend I revisited one of my home tracks, Sebring International Raceway - home of the 1st event in the ALMS schedule. This track history most of you may know as being brutal and always changing due to the variations in track surfaces (basically everything but elevation). Earlier last month I sucked it up and submitted the paperwork for my provisional racing license and give w2w a try, as TT was fun but boring because I pay more for less time and end up loosing to guys who really just outspend and outdrive me. I always for some reason tended to do my best laps while either being chased or chasing somebody. So knowing my w2w dream would someday become reality, I built the car specifically to the ST2 rules starting back in Nov of 2008. Since then I've gone from DE3, straight to TT, then straight to w2w over a 2 year span. But enough about me.

The car prep I owe a huge debt to several groups of people out there in my Sig. Robi for all the years of support and advise, STILL on the original shocks since 2008. Mach for the hood work, AWD for the tune and repairs, EvoD for the short but extensive work, Gruppe-S for the ACD controller, HMS for all of the car's safety gear, SafeRacer for all of my safety gear, RaceCarBuilders for the cage and fab work, and Performance Tread for the on-site tire support at our events. A very big thanks goes to my father and new wife who support my passion and know (reluctantly) what it takes to compete in this sport, both in time and money. I'd also like to thank Essex Parts particularly for this event because Jeff came through with what can only be described as one of the most badass non-monoblock brake kits i've ever tested, but i'll make a separate post about it.

The weather couldn't have been any better this weekend. Clear, not a cloud in the sky, roughly 78-80 degrees with a cool breeze. I came in on 6 heat cycled A6's that I used in TT the event prior. I spent most of my money on a GoPro, brakes, throttle body seals, and other ends I needed to fix. Knowing it was my rookie weekend I didn't expect to stay out in front or anything and was curious just how much can you get from the A6's at race pace.

Friday - didn't get to the track until dark around 8pm so left the tools/car loaded and met up with my Father/dogs in the RV camped at the track.

Saturday - Got up at 6:45, ate, and started unloading the trailer/tools and setup camp. Made it to the racers driver meeting and was one of the two rookie/rookie's that weekend. We were told we'd be starting at the back of the pack today so we're not in anybody's way or feel pressure. OK cool I thought, no pressure to qualify and would give me a chance to bed in the new brakes. The other rookie was a young lady driving a 650hp stock car in SU. Yep, you'll see it. So the morning practice and qualifying I did my best to stay out of everyone's way but I didn't go fast enough to put heat into the brakes, they still had shine on the rotor and squeaked quite badly, I also didn't want to wear my A6's any more then they already had been. Come race time it was 3:50 in the afternoon. This was the worst part about the weekend....hurry up and wait fighting tension and nerves. For this weekend 3 cars would be joining me in ST2. A regional champion and series director in a PTA prepped 350z, points leader in PTA James in his very fast Porsche 964, and also starting at the back also was my friend and 2 or 3 time national champion in FFR Scott McKay. Knowing he was a crazy guy and having the Stock car there I wanted to give them plenty of room. No sense in bending the car trying to fight them. In doing so the Stock car put me so far back I fought for positions and only caught the 10th place guy at the end and the Porsche wrecked out early, but never saw the other two ST2 cars. This was good enough for 3rd and a podium in my first race! Let me disclaim...the 'racing' line is nowhere near as good or smooth as a standard line...it's like learning to drive fast all over again. Onto the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snM9x2FYqV8

Sunday - Still high off of my debut race I wanted to get a chance to "mix it up" and do a real qualifying. Nobody had any objections so they approved it. Sunday's you don't get a practice session you only get to qualify then race. But today we switched it up with Lightning due to an accident earlier and qualified together (Lightning is spec miata 20+ cars in our region). Knowing my A6's were very tired I jacked the car up and rotated them inspecting for any cords. Amazingly enough no cords showing but pretty decent wear. I was praying for them to get me through this, and I managed a 2:27.9 so i'm not too far off pace and I was just in front of both remaining ST2 racers. This time it was Chaos. If any of you have ever raced against these Thunder Roadsters it's insane. They don't tend to pay any attention to the drivers door rule and pass you wherever they can squeeze into. I got bumped in the rear once and kissed the fender of another with my wheel. We traded positions again and again but I walked away with my first ever Win! The Grey 350z and the tiger striped FFR were in my class. I had the HP advantage but they've been doing this quite a bit longer. Onto the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJVuCn78xcE

Last edited by Balrok; Oct 3, 2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great write-up and congrats on the huge success you achieved on your first ST2 weekend! You are definitely braver than me at this stage

Get those vids posted...
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Uploading/converting as we speak
Old Oct 3, 2011, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Congrats!!

How many cars do you typically have in your Thunder races?
Old Oct 3, 2011, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

If we get a large SM field like usual then it's everyone else, so 20-30+ cars.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Video's posted!
Old Oct 3, 2011, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

So much history there. Can you post a picture of your Evo? You went for it and removed the dash!
Old Oct 3, 2011, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apex electric
So much history there. Can you post a picture of your Evo? You went for it and removed the dash!
I'll post some action shots when the guy puts em on his site from the weekend. Ya one of the first things I did lol. Then I realized I need this switch, oh and that switch...we'll just zip tie this here and there....cool done
Old Oct 3, 2011, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Get your shocks dyno'd I think you have one dying on you.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
Get your shocks dyno'd I think you have one dying on you.
Which one?
Old Oct 3, 2011, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

I would guess left front or left rear. With my money on the left front.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Gotta remember that Sebring is bouncy as sh*t. Watch some of the ALMS video's.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

From what I noticed you only bounce on corner exit on throttle turning right.

May not be your issue, but it looks really similar to an issue I had. Maybe check it out when you take your shocks off next time. You can check it pretty easily by compressing the shock and if it collapses pretty easily, you know you've got a dead spring holder.

you're probably right though, it's probably just a rough track :P

Nice work and congrats

Last edited by R/TErnie; Oct 3, 2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
From what I noticed you only bounce on corner exit on throttle turning right.

May not be your issue, but it looks really similar to an issue I had. Maybe check it out when you take your shocks off next time. You can check it pretty easily by compressing the shock and if it collapses pretty easily, you know you've got a dead spring holder.
Gotcha, will do. Most of the right handers including turn 17 are concrete slabs which can bounce you into the wall if you don't enter it just right.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Great job man! Congrats on a spectacular finish your first race weekend!

Quick Reply: Balrok's ST2 Racing Debut