Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Who wants to try the newest Ferodo Racing brake pad compound...for free?!?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2011, 07:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who wants to try the newest Ferodo Racing brake pad compound...for free?!?

Hi Guys,
Ferodo has just released a new pad compound called DSUNO (Dee-ess-oo-no). It is also referrred to as their Z compound. It is a high coefficient of friction pad, with a slightly rising torque curve.

We've run it on a number of pro race cars and have received extremely positive feedback thus far...including a few race wins. It has also been doing exceedingly well in European racing.

I also have these pads running on a few Evo's and Vettes with our Essex/AP Racing competition brake package, but I want to get them on a few Evo's with stock calipers to gather some feedback.

If you fit the following criteria, and are interested in participating, please email me:
  1. You are running stock Brembo calipers on your Evo 8, 9, or 10. If you want to verify the shape, it is FCP1334.
  2. You have a number of track events, time attacks, track days, and/or races coming up during the next couple of weeks/months, in which you are definitely participating.
  3. You are willing to provide feedback and data to myself, Essex, and Ferodo on on ongoing basis. I'll be looking for subjective comments on wear, feel, comparison to other specific pads you've run, and of course hard data on temperatures, etc. are certainly welcome and preferred.
Please do not contact me unless you meet all of the points above. If you aren't sure you'll be attending events, or aren't willing to consistently give feedback, please don't contact me. These pads are $400 per set, and I don't take giving them out lightly.

If you contact me and aren't chosen, please don't be upset. I only have a few sets to give away, so I'm going to pick whoever meets our objectives most closely. I'd like to get them on a variety of cars with differing power levels, capability, etc. I'd also like to get them on cars seeing heavy/frequent use so I can collect data quickly. People with the capability to record temps, log data, etc. will get preference.

The Evo community has been a good one for us, and I look at this as a way to give back to some of the members. If everyone plays nice (which I'm confident you will), there will certainly be more opportunities like this arising in the future. Thanks again to everyone for your continued support of Essex and the Ferodo brand.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I am interested as I had issues before with my pads from Ferodo. I had them back on my VIII and I thought that they were soft and only bit really hard when I stabbed the throttle. They also wore out rather quickly, the rears did anyway. Now I run Hawk HPS and they are OK, still not that impressed with any aftermarket break pad as of yet. And yes I had my breaks bled properly with DOT-4.

PM me I am getting my car back together shortly.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the temp range they are rated for?
What PF, CL, ST or Hawk pad would you compare them to?

Like will they haul me down from 150mph on Hoosiers time and time again like my Hawks do safely?
Old Oct 6, 2011, 07:38 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^Good guy to choose for testing!
Old Oct 6, 2011, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
I do nasa time trials and instruct for hpde. I have use hawk, raybestos, CL, carbotech and can give comparisons between those pads.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

PM Sent.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 07:50 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by honda-guy
I do nasa time trials and instruct for hpde. I have use hawk, raybestos, CL, carbotech and can give comparisons between those pads.
Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
PM Sent.
I can vouch for these two gentlemen and their track experience!
Old Oct 6, 2011, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by honda-guy
Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
PM Sent.
Both these guys have a lot of experience and know their setups very well. I'll vouch for them too.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

I posted up an initial review on this compound in conjunction with the AP Racing Race brake package....unfortunately it was just a few sessions in a non-racing environment so wasn't able to get a full review in, but they performed very well with the limited time I had.

Definitely looking forward to some more time with these pads next season...
Old Oct 6, 2011, 11:40 AM
Former Sponsor

I am interested as I had issues before with my pads from Ferodo. I had them back on my VIII and I thought that they were soft and only bit really hard when I stabbed the throttle. They also wore out rather quickly, the rears did anyway. Now I run Hawk HPS and they are OK, still not that impressed with any aftermarket break pad as of yet. And yes I had my breaks bled properly with DOT-4.

PM me I am getting my car back together shortly.
High PSI,
It sounds like you were likely running Ferodo DS2500. They are more of a street/track pad than a full blown race pad, particularly on a car as heavy and fast as an Evo. They should still significantly outperform HPS though! The pads I'm giving away are a much different compound than the DS2500. They have significantly higher mu and temperature threshold.

What's the temp range they are rated for?
What PF, CL, ST or Hawk pad would you compare them to?

Like will they haul me down from 150mph on Hoosiers time and time again like my Hawks do safely?
Boomn29,
This is precisely the environment for which these pads were designed, and I wouldn't anticipate any issues with those speeds, tires, etc. This new compound is the sister compound to Ferodo's DS1.11, which we've been running on everything from boosted C6 Z06's, to high power GT-R's, to Daytona Prototypes. I had a customer cracking 180mph at Road Atlanta in a GT-R with the DS1.11's and he didn't have any fade or issues all weekend. These are top-tier pads, and from what we've gathered so far they are certainly on par with the best from the other manufacturers you note such as the PFC01, RC8, DTC-70 compounds.

I have a vid on our site highlighting Ferodo's winning the 24 hrs. of LeMans in 1968 on a GT-40. They've been making top-level race pads for a very long time.

Shoot me an email or PM if you'd like to try them.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 11:43 AM
Former Sponsor

High PSI,
I don't think this is necessarily the best pad for you given what you've posted. It sounds like you are looking more for a track/street or street/track pad. I think a CL Brakes RC5+ would be a good next step for you. They are an extremely versatile compound with good cold bite, that works well enough on the street without too many negatives, yet will still hold up to a moderate track beating. Let me know if you'd like to try them.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
High PSI,
I don't think this is necessarily the best pad for you given what you've posted. It sounds like you are looking more for a track/street or street/track pad. I think a CL Brakes RC5+ would be a good next step for you. They are an extremely versatile compound with good cold bite, that works well enough on the street without too many negatives, yet will still hold up to a moderate track beating. Let me know if you'd like to try them.
Sure. I am not a big fan of my Hawk pads now. They are soft until heated up then they grab. So I gotta race my car to get the best of my breaks, on the street it could be an issue. I would love to try anything you think would benefit me.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 12:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Okay...I've got two testes...I mean testers! One more pad set up for grabs. Who's hungry?

High PSI let me see what I have in the warehouse. I may have a slightly used set of the CL's on the shelf or something, but I can't promise anything. Thanks.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
I've run these pads on the AP kit and as you can tell from my video they were stopping me from 145 to 40 in cone 4/3 territory. Once I got used to them on Sunday I was outbraking 1800lb Thunder Roadsters. Some of this was the AP kit but the pad makes a difference too. Took me a bit to get heat into them for proper beding and made noise, but once they got hot and transferred a proper layer at race pace they were bloody golden and quiet. These were combined with the DS1.11 compound in the rear. I'd say the 1.11 is comparable to the ST43's with slightly better bite and release. The Uno's had MUCH better bite and release then ST47's, ST43's, DTC70's, 60's, PF01's 05's or CL8's. DTC70's I've actually shattered at the track. Next time you swap a set of 70's toss them gently on the concrete and see what I mean, brittle as sh*t once they're in use. I'll start an ongoing thread so it's got all the back to back data once I get time to inspect this weekend, but I've still got plenty of material left after the beating I gave them. You won't be disappointed.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 01:22 PM

Jeff I left you a voicemail

Quick Reply: Who wants to try the newest Ferodo Racing brake pad compound...for free?!?