Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

EvoJoeRacing: Wins Mirrokhana event this past weekend

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EvoJoeRacing: Wins Mirrokhana event this past weekend

Hey Guys,

This past weekend NY SCCA hosted 2 events, a standard Autocross event in the morning and then the Mirrokhana event in the afternoon. There was a great turn out of cars and a few pro's came out to get after it. Randy and his brother came out with the Porsche GT3. Randy opted to co-drive an S2K while his brother piloted the GT3. GJ decided to get behind the wheel of a BSP wrx and Yury brought out his STU STI which he won Driver of the Year with in NNJ last year. We all were on the same playing field as far as cars so the day was their to be won. The mornings autocross event was set to only be 5 runs each and again just like the previous weeks our group was scheduled to do course clean up running the first heat. So of the first 5 laps the first 2 or 3 were going to be a waste sliding around on the pebbles to try and clear a line for faster runs later on. My first run out I always run conservatively, get familiar with the course at speed and record a clean run in the books. I put down a 55.834 which for the first run was an amazingly fast time. Everyone was running 57-58 second laps for the first 2-3 times out. I knew today was going to be a good day. Laps 2 & 3 i went out and tried to push it a little harder. Lap 2 went out there and hit a cone on the slalom while running a 55.585. Little fast but still made a few mistakes. There was a lot of time to be had out their. Still at this point I had the Fastest Time of Day set by my first run. Lap 3 I was pushing real hard and having an awesome run until I got just a little wide and my tires hit the pebbles in a brake zone. My driver side tires lost traction and sent me sliding into 2 cones. Damn. 3 runs down and only 1 clean run so far. At this point the other Evo their had run a 55.450 and had taken FTD. Time to step it up. Run 4 I went out there on a mission to get that FTD back and pushed a little to hard, again got just a hair wide and caught the pebbles and put me into a spin. I recovered but missed a gate and got a DNF. With the spin I had a 56.384. I knew I had this win if I could just get a clean run. Last run and time to make it happen. I came out of the gates flying and was having an amazing run. Got to the finish and recorded a 54.180. The Fastest Time that ANYONE had run all day! Not 1 car the entire day had even seen a 54 second run and I had just recorded a 54.180. A full 1.4 seconds faster then the FTD! I go to the tent and check the run and they tell me that I just barely nicked a cone! Uhhh what a let down! They said on the last turn my back tire just taped the cone and slid it out of the box. I was so pissed!

For the rest of the day not 1 car including all the pros ran a 54 second lap. FTD was set as a 55.231 by Yury in his STU STI. If that would have stuck I would have won FTD, PAX and Class. I could have claimed the Trifecta of awards. Ughh I was so pissed! I ended up with the 6th fastest time of the day.

Well now pissed off knowing I should have won this event it was onto the Mirrokhana event. The way this event was set up was the mornings course was modified to be a complete circle. 2 cars would go on the course exactly half was apart from each other. They would say go and both cars would take off. The first car back to where they started won. What was awesome was as you came to the finish you could see your opponent as you were finishing head to head. It made for a real intense finish! The way it was set up was in a King of the Hill style double elimination. The bracket was set up by your PAX placing from the mornings event. So the car who was in 40th place in PAX started by racing the 39th PAX car. The winner would race the 38th PAX and so on. If you lost you went into the Loosers Bracket where you raced to say alive. The looser bracket was king of the hill as well. At the end the winner of the winners bracket and the winner of the loosers bracket would battle out in a best of 3 race. I was 14th in PAX so I had to win 14 races to get to the final race. My time came to race and I was battling the BSP wrx. We were faced head to head and on go I launched the car. Racing around the track as hard as I could. Coming to the final turn I see ahead of me the wrx making his final turn also. I put my foot on the floor and wasnt lifting it till i crossed the finish. The boost kicked in and the back end came flying out, I was drifting the hell out of the car but wasnt lifting! I came through the finish sideways and spun out after the finish. When the smoke and dust cleared i looked up and saw that i took out the finish line cones. DAYUM! Into the loosers bracket I went. They finished off the Winners bracket and Adam in his ESP Forester was the winner. He won last years Mirrokhana event as well. So onto the loosers bracket. I had 12 cars to beat in order for me to win the bracket. I went out there and gave it my all. Flying around the track I beat out all 12 cars which included GJ in the wrx and the GT3. On to the 3 lap battle for the win. First lap I went out and killed it! So I was up 1 vs 0 to Adam. We switched sides and went again. This one came down to the wire! Me and Adam came flying through the finish and it was so close. He just squeezed me out be a bumper. We were 1 and 1. Winner of the next lap wins! We line up at the starts and just before they scream Go Adam jumps and DQ's. I won?!?. HELL NO! I was not going to win that way. We were racing for the win. He lined back up and we took off to determine the winner. Coming to the finish I see Adam pushing it hard and he lost it! He spun out just before the last turn. I crossed the finish an won the Mirrokhana event!

It went from a disappointing morning to an awesome finish to the day. If I would have not coned that 54 second run I would have won FTD, PAX, Class and Mirrokhana for the day. That would have been a day of Domination! But things happen and I am happy with the Mirrokhana win! It was a great event and a lot of fun. I have another race on Saturday with NY SCCA and its the last event of the season. Im battling for 2nd place in class with 3 other cars and we are all within 2 points of each other. Who ever wins this next event will get 2nd place for the season. Hopefully I can take a win and lock in 2nd place in the Street Modified/Street Prepared division while racing on street tires!
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Congrats
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Nice job, got any video?
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys. I do have some video. I have to edit it down. From the looks of it though the footage wasnt all that great. It was very shaky when it was on the rear wing. Ill cut it down and make a quick video