Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

EvoJoeRacing: 1st Place Win in NNJ and 2nd Place for Season in Street Modified

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2011, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EvoJoeRacing: 1st Place Win in NNJ and 2nd Place for Season in Street Modified

Hey Guys,

So this past weekend I had my final race with NNJ SCCA at Meadowlands Stadium. Recently NNJ SCCA has invited me to become part of the core workers running the NNJ Region. For next season I will be the Worker Chief in charge of worker assignments for the events. Saturday was a beautiful day, perfect weather, nice and sunny, a great day to race. It never ceases to amaze me though how I always run into an issue though every time I race. On my way driving out to the event, while driving in traffic on the Cross Bronx Express way at 630am (got to love NY traffic) A beautifully big chunk of metal that looked like a piece of ducting shows up right in the middle of the road. Being that the road was reduced into 1 lane with construction happening on both sides of me and 3 miles of traffic behind me, all i was able to do was straddle the duct and pray that i clear it. Well I have about 4" of clearance for my lip but with my GTSPEC lower ladder brace its more like 2" of ground clearance underneath. Well of course, BOOM. I hit it with the brace and start dragging it under the car. I knew this wasnt good as i felt the car lift up a little bit when i hit it. Ughhh. I slow down to a crawl and try and turn right to left to try and loosen it, but it wasnt having it. I stopped the car and tried to back up but the line of cars behind me were so close I had no where to go. I tried driving close to the edge of the road to see if I can get some more ground clearance and nothing! I had to drag this piece of metal nearly 200 yards until the lanes opened up again. The most painful sound in the world hearing metal grind and clunk around under the car. Finally was able to pull over and back up and un wedge this metal mess under the car. But the damage was already done, the lower ladder brace was all bent up and mangled. Luckily the Meadowlands was about 10 minutes away so I just drove there to do a further inspection on the car. When I got to the event I jacked up the car. Luckily it was only the GTSPEC bar that took the hit. The oil pan, downpipe, transmission had no damage or anything to them. So far I havent seen or felt any issues with the car but I will be monitoring it carefully for the next few weeks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/evojoeracing/6283192130/http://www.flickr.com/photos/evojoeracing/6283192130/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/evojoeracing/, on Flickr

On to the event itself, Perry designed a HUGE and fast course using the entire parking lot! Fast sweepers and a wide variety of turns and slaloms. By far one of the best courses that he has designed! It was his interpretation of a Nationals Course so we were expecting 60+ seconds per run. One of the older instructors / pro drivers was looking for a car to drive and I decided that I was up for another challenge and let him codrive the car. Anthony Crea has over 17 years of AutoX driving under his belt along with a few trips to Nationals and a few trophies at Nationals as well. He was the first instructor in my car back at my first AutoX event ever. So we had a show down, teacher vs the student! We were set up to have 6 runs out on the course. As usual I go out on my first run to warm up the tires, get familiar with the course and the visuals and test the speed on some turns to see its limits. I took Anthony in the car for this run to give him a feel of the car, its power and what it can do. Right off the start I got into full boost in first gear and he started screaming "WHOOOOOOO!" LMAO it was priceless! First run came in with a 62.142 with a 1 cone penalty. I clipped one on the slalom. Anthony was laughing as we crossed the line telling me the car is an absolute beast! Next it was his turn to jump into the driver seat and take it out. He was nervous I can tell but was filled with excitement. Haha i think i made the old mans day! He went off on the first run and man did he drive the car! I was very impressed. He crossed the line with a 61.626 with a cone penalty. Laughing, smiling and breathing heavy he begins to rant and rave about the car. Loved the way it felt, power, handling, he said the car was unbelievable and ridiculously fast for being on street tires! We put up times that were only 1 - 1.5 seconds behind the Pro drivers in their GT3's and SSM Prepped RX7. So it was on! Battling back and forth between Tony and I. My second run I attacked the course a little harder but got sloppy and clipped 2 cones. Tonys second run clipped 1 cone. My third run I was on a mission to set a killer time. Recorded a 59.941! But had a late cone call... ughhh. Tony pushed it and clipped 3 cones on his run. 4th run I was running really fast, got to a section with a fast offset gate. Went to give a quick brake check and as i went to transfer from WOT to brake my sneaker got caught on the back of the brake. I missed the brake zone and went off course. Tony recorded his first clean run 60.967. Well now I have a time I have to go and beat. My 5th Run I went out on a mission to beat Tonys time and crossed the line with a 60.634. Beat his time and put me in 1st place for the class! Tony went out on his 5th run and ran a 60.624. 1 HUNDREDTH OF A SECOND FASTER! Oh man this is ridiculously close! Last and final run... I wasnt holding anything back. I came across the line with a 60.033! I picked up 6 tenths of a second on that lap! Tony went out on his last run and ran a 60.274!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/evojoeracing/6283189926/http://www.flickr.com/photos/evojoeracing/6283189926/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/evojoeracing/, on Flickr

I beat Tony by 2 tenths of a second and placed first for the class! Man what an awesome battle we had and it was so much fun! Tony is an awesome driver and it was great to be able to race against someone extremely experienced on the same platform. As far as total results I placed in the top 15 in Raw Times and top 25 in PAX which is extremely hard to do in Northern New Jersey when you are not built fully to class. And as you guys know im not running RCOMPS which is a HUGE disadvantage.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/evojoeracing/6283190058/http://www.flickr.com/photos/evojoeracing/6283190058/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/evojoeracing/, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/evojoeracing/6283190148/http://www.flickr.com/photos/evojoeracing/6283190148/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/evojoeracing/, on Flickr

Both GJ Dixon and Jake Namer came up to Tony and I after the race and told me how great of a season I had and how awesome this car is set up. Jake said that the times that I was putting up on street tires was insane and when the car gets on RCOMPS it will be extremely competitive at a National Level. It was amazing to hear such talented drivers like GJ and Jake say such kind words.

Well this First place finish also locked me in as 2nd Place for the season in Northern New Jersey SCCA in the Street Modified Division. And it was all done on Street Tires!

So thats it for the season! I want to thank all my sponsors for 2011 who help me accomplish an amazing goal. We were able to place 2nd in both NY and NNJ SCCA in the Street Modified Division on Street Tires! I also entered my first National Pro Solo and placed 5th out of 7 again racing on street tires! I met a lot of great people along the way this season and learned a TON to help me grow as a driver. I am extremely excited for 2012 and Im looking forward to push myself even further and challenge myself on a National Level.

I have a few things planned for the winter. The car is getting a make over and going on a diet so keep your eyes peeled for a 2012 build thread. Im also starting to look into some new sponsors for next year. Im proud to announce that MISHIMOTO has joined the team and will be sponsoring me for 2012 along with Amsoil, GoPro and K&N. Also for next season with GoPro's new HERO2 announcement, Im looking to get 1 or 2 of the cameras and start broadcasting my races live on the internet! You will be able to watch the videos live from my Facebook EvoJoeRacing or my website www.EvoJoeRacing.com
Old Oct 26, 2011, 06:46 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats man!
Old Oct 26, 2011, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks BJ! I appreciate it
Old Oct 26, 2011, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvoJoeRacing
Went to give a quick brake check and as i went to transfer from WOT to brake my sneaker got caught on the back of the brake. I missed the brake zone and went off course.
Happened to me on a high speed sweeper on a road course in Canada. Wasn't pretty. I'm glad this didn't result in any damage. Congrats on the great season!
Old Oct 26, 2011, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4cdndctn
Happened to me on a high speed sweeper on a road course in Canada. Wasn't pretty. I'm glad this didn't result in any damage. Congrats on the great season!
Ouch. Yeah its not fun... you instantly go into oh **** mode But thats the beauty of autocross, mistakes like this doesnt turn into destruction or severe damage. I will have to be careful of this next year though on the road course like you have said above.

Thanks for the kind words!
Old Oct 26, 2011, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Congrats on a good season.

Sucks to hear about your drive there the first day. I run my car on the road sometimes with a splitter and i have to be very cautious on even small bumps. One question. Isn't the ladder brace illegal in SM?
Old Oct 26, 2011, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jerdeitzel
Congrats on a good season.

Sucks to hear about your drive there the first day. I run my car on the road sometimes with a splitter and i have to be very cautious on even small bumps. One question. Isn't the ladder brace illegal in SM?
Im pretty sure lower suspension bracing is aloud as per the Street Prepared rules as long as they attach at stock mounting positions.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

I just thought that was considered chassie stiffening. They do attach to the original points but are attached to each other which the stock ones are not. I havn't read the rules in a while but i always thought that was not legal. I just remember looking into the cusco chassie stiffening stuff and that it was mostly illegal in SM. I'm just curious!
Old Oct 26, 2011, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

To be honest im not 100% sure. It connects the lower control arms to the chassis. The cars came stock with a smaller bar that did the same thing, I just replaced it with an aftermarket one to make it a little stiffer. I took it as the same as replacing the stock upper strut bar. I could be completely wrong, but i took this as a suspension component and lower bracing which was ok to be replaced as per the Prepared rules.

If someone else has knowledge on this please do chime in. Ill do a little more research though on it.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

I'm not 100% sure either. . I just remember when i was buiding my car for SM a few years back that i thought about doing some of those under bracings on the car. And i thought i read/interpreted/heard that you couldn't do them.

I've looked at too many classes and rules over the past few years that might have clouded my memory on the subject but your story just made me think of it.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Everytime I read your posts, you make me want to start autocrossing. Especially since I live in in Northern NJ and an actually see you race. Maybe next year when I have another car to drive.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BigT
Everytime I read your posts, you make me want to start autocrossing. Especially since I live in in Northern NJ and an actually see you race. Maybe next year when I have another car to drive.
Thanks Man! I appreciate the kind words. That is exactly what my goal is by posting this stuff. Im trying to reach the every day person who wants their car to be a weekend warrior and go out and race. Id like to show people that you can be the little guy out there and still win.

Definitely come out next year to some events and try it out. Be sure to come say Hi
Old Nov 2, 2011, 11:50 AM

Good show Joe.

And congratulations on your great season!

See you next year - with some Hoosiers maybe?

- Sandro
Old Nov 2, 2011, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
congrats!!!
Old Nov 2, 2011, 12:14 PM

Just keep running and pushing yourself. Sticky purple-crack hoosiers and more seat time is where it's at. I want to see you take it to the Street Mod G-Fab 240SX next year at nationals!

-Jake
www.HamfistRacing.com

Quick Reply: EvoJoeRacing: 1st Place Win in NNJ and 2nd Place for Season in Street Modified