Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

AMS Wilwood rally front brake kit for evo X

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2011, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS Wilwood rally front brake kit for evo X

Whos got a set of these? I'm running the AMS Wilwood light weight front kit and a custom Wilwood rear setup with 15" team dynamics wheels and rally tires. I'd like to upgrade my front brakes to the rally kit in hopes that with some cooling ducts I can track my car too. I know it's not an ideal kit for that but I want to be able to rallycross, autocross and track the car without braking the hydraulics.

Will the front kit be up to occasional track use with some cooling ducts added? If not, anyone know of a front kit that I can just change the rotor and mounting bracket so I can run smaller diameter wheels for rallycross and larger rotor and wheels for track and autocross? I know I'm asking a lot but I want a versatile setup so I can get the most seat time since rallycross events are pretty rare in my area.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 04:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I am running them on my X. It works fine I did run one full 2 day tartmac rally with them. There is no issues or anything I could point out.
They are exeptional, specially for the price.
You might want to have a different pads with them.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
I am running them on my X. It works fine I did run one full 2 day tartmac rally with them. There is no issues or anything I could point out.
They are exeptional, specially for the price.
You might want to have a different pads with them.
good to hear! I'll be getting these for sure then. Thanks
Old Oct 27, 2011, 03:49 PM
Former Sponsor

be very careful on the track with mini brakes. we can quite easily overheat the brakes even with full sized brakes on an X, so reducing the size to fit a 15" wheel is dramatically reducing the clamping radius thus the stopping torque. i don't see it being "ideal" for road courses, but i simagine it would work for a couple laps at a time.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
be very careful on the track with mini brakes. we can quite easily overheat the brakes even with full sized brakes on an X, so reducing the size to fit a 15" wheel is dramatically reducing the clamping radius thus the stopping torque. i don't see it being "ideal" for road courses, but i simagine it would work for a couple laps at a time.
Defiantly not ideal but hopefully good enough. Like I said, I'm looking for something for both rallycross and track. My focus is rallycross but I wan to be able to take some driving school classes and do some track days without braking my hydraulics and switching back to brembos. I'll add some cooling ducts to try to help the heat issues.

If anyone knows of a caliper that can be used with small and large rotors let me know as that would be ideal.