Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evolution Dynamics Pikes Peak Build

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2012, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car looks great!!!!!
Old May 28, 2012, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey Jeremy,

LMK if you want me to set you up with our new Evo wing package . You may have seen it this weekend at the SCCA Spring Nats on McKee's car. I don't know if your rules allow a bigger wing? It can be used with a single or dual element, depending on your DF needs.

Good luck!

Rick

Name:  MckeesideET.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  79.4 KB
Old Jun 4, 2012, 06:17 AM
Former Sponsor

well this last weekend was a long but productive weekend for us!

i spent my free time between customers cars during the week rewiring the ABS system and fixing a few small bugs that we had with the power cutoff, and getting it ready to dyno saturday night.

saturday morning we took it to the the mitsubishi owners day car show at don herring mitsubishi, so big thanks to them for hosting that event. it was hot, but there was a good turn out.
(these are piranas pictures that i stole from his MOD day picture thread)
Name:  IMG_8806.jpg
Size:  101.1 KB
Name:  IMG_8922.jpg
Size:  105.3 KB
Name:  IMG_8936.jpg
Size:  113.3 KB

after the MOD day, i took the car over to PRT performance to dyno the car on their low reading mustang dyno. this was nothing short of a heroic effect by myself and todd

to start, last weekend on the first shake down, we had a freeze plug pop off on the first laps on the track. on the first run on the dyno, the same plug popped out again we fixed it AGAIN on the dyno, second pull, another freeze plug popped out :O

by this time i inspected all of them and realized they werent pushed in far enough from the machine shop, and a third one was leaking. we took some time to push as many as we could reach back in farther, and used JB weld to slather the reast to keep em in

it worked great, except on the next pull, the water line to the turbo finally burned through and ruptured

so 3 pulls, 3 times we had to completely refill the coolant system. we changed out a fitting so it didn't come so close to the manifold and replaced the water line, and finally got the cooling system working correctly!

all this time the car was making 480-490whp and 400-420ftlb of torque at 22psi (close to wastegate pressure). next pull the dip stick popped out and covered the windshield in oil

a few zip ties later, the dyno nightmare was finally working properly, and i was able to raise the boost trouble free. i ran it up to 550whp and 500ftlb of torque at 27 psi which i feel is a nice safe power level and not to out of control. our intent is reliability on our first hill climb attempt.

Name:  9dda8492.jpg
Size:  86.2 KB

video is coming soon of it on the dyno.

sunday, we took the car out to mineral wells for the equipe rapide autocross to give myself and Jeremy some seat time in the car. i was primarily focused on the health of the car, and making sure all the bugs are worked out, and jeremy was getting the seat time he needs.

for those who don't know what mineral wells is, its a GIANT parking lot. the biggest autocross course by a mile that i've ever been to. however this day the course was setup pretty slow and tight, so full throttle was only achieved about 2% of the run.

after initially having some really bad tire rubbing issues, we mounted a set of A6s in the size we will run and the tire rub issues went away! afternoon runs were all flawless, and jeremy got several back to back fun runs after the event was over to get a feel for the car.

a quick video:
Old Jun 4, 2012, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
I'd like to hear more about the dipstick issue. Any crankcase vent mods?

car sounds like it spools up nice and quick.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 06:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by EVOizmm
I'd like to hear more about the dipstick issue. Any crankcase vent mods?

car sounds like it spools up nice and quick.

nope, just a catch can connected to both the crank case vent and the PCV vent hole. i havent had a built motor not pop the dip stick out if it wasn't secured down. usually i just pinch the tube a little and it works fine. this time we opted for the zip ties cause they were right there
Old Jun 4, 2012, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Stolen from our regional thread NTEC

Originally Posted by ratt_finkel
Was a good day overall. The new air pressures and shock settings we ran seemed to work well. Unfortunately, we still have a terminal push in the car. I'm hoping that we can get the rear diff checked out before the double header weekend in Blytheville this weekend.

The car feels better than it ever did last year. Yet our times both raw and pax are off from where they should be. Which tells me something in the setup is not working.

The pikes peak car worked great! Kevin really put together a great machine here. For having practically no testing or dial in: It was down right fast. All we had were crappy tires and a turbo WAY too big for auto-crossing. But I was very impressed with the overall balance of the car. The brakes are phenomenal! OMG the brakes!

And the motor Kevin put together was down right bullet proof. For an engine that makes well over 500whp on low boost. It just took the lashings over and over. We did fun runs during the hottest part of the day and I think I did 5 runs back to back. All over the limiter ad hard on the boost in 2nd and 3rd gear with no over heating, misfires or any malfunction of any find.

We are going to do VERY well in Pikes Peak
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Narrower rear track would help... and the ability to run less rear camber HINT HINT.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
Narrower rear track would help... and the ability to run less rear camber HINT HINT.
In reference to what?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 04:55 PM
Former Sponsor

i've got a bump steer gauge and of course we have found also by trial and error how much to lower the car and how much rear camber to run before everything becomes very non-linear and unpredictable in corner.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

I was referring to using my links and higher numerical offset wheels but yeah that too!
Old Jun 6, 2012, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinD
i've got a bump steer gauge and of course we have found also by trial and error how much to lower the car and how much rear camber to run before everything becomes very non-linear and unpredictable in corner.
How does that gauge work? Never seen one.

Back when I took a look at bump steer I did it on an alignment rack. I set my ride height and alignment to what I wanted to run, then removed the rear shocks and used the rack's jack to raise and lower the rear of the car and watched what it did to the alignment and toe. Is that a valid way of testing bumpsteer?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary

Back when I took a look at bump steer I did it on an alignment rack. I set my ride height and alignment to what I wanted to run, then removed the rear shocks and used the rack's jack to raise and lower the rear of the car and watched what it did to the alignment and toe. Is that a valid way of testing bumpsteer?

removing the shock works in the rear. and yeah, basically the bump steer guage works by measure the toe angle as it moves up the compression stroke. using an alignment rack would achieve the same thing i believe. just have to make sure the car doesn't move when you lift it. when i did mine tests, i also measured the camber angles so i could have a camber angle plot and a bump steer plot. i'm going to do the test again with the whiteline bump steer correction kit on it now to see how much (or little) it helps.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary

yup. That works. You want to graph/plot it ideally. It would be nice to see the camber/toe curve.

You guys want to share?
Old Jun 7, 2012, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
yup. That works. You want to graph/plot it ideally. It would be nice to see the camber/toe curve.

You guys want to share?
yes please do share. hasnt anyone done this?

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets16.html
Old Jun 7, 2012, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I didn't write anything down. I just looked at the numbers, thought hmmm. . . interesting . . . then put the shocks back on and went racing. That was probably 3 years ago

Quick Reply: Evolution Dynamics Pikes Peak Build