Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

FilthyEvo's track car build/track day writeups

Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn son, mad track time!! make sure you stay hydrated, yo.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have nearly enough gas, and my NT01's don't have too much life left. It's okay though, I feel like sh*t, so it's nice to relax.

Oh I am!
Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
This is when you wish you ran 93 pump gas.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

Thought you north east guys who frequent NJMP would appreciate this. This is Andrew Aquilante at NJMP thunderbolt yesterday for SCCA stuff doing what looks like practice. He's the main driver for Phoenix Racing and they used to campaign the Subaru STI in Grand AM GS until this year and now they are in a Boss Mustang. Super cool guy and fast as hell.

http://trackattackapp.com/?raceid=b6...3-33c97fb7df5c

https://twitter.com/AndrewAquilante
Old Jul 27, 2013, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

^ wow, that's fast. i can only manage 1:28 with my car in nasa TT3 class.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

yeah - I know. I haven't been to NJMP or any track in the northeast but I'm using the Grand Am non-rich guy drivers as my personal benchmark. Specifically with the guys in GS for my Evo. Each car is different and they don't necessarily use power to weight to regulate the cars but I'm thinking that if I can have my car set up for TT2 with no real aero (aero is for the most part not allowed in GS), and put down laps on the tracks they run within their ranges, that will be good.

Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Been a while since I've updated, but I did pretty well at my last event! I ran with COMSCC, at NJMP Lightning. This was the first time I've ever run this track, and it's definitely one of my new favorites.

After a rough start to the weekend - getting a flat in the truck an hour into the trip, and spending the entire day messing around with the STUPID spare tire setup on my '01 Ford, I ended up arriving at NJMP around midnight the night before my event.

Woke up exhausted, and feeling sick. Threw back some OJ, and headed out to the track. Got signed off for solo after 5 minutes, and got my COMSCC License. Once the instructor was out of the car, it was time to drop my times. My NT01's were on there last legs, so I tired not to overdrive the tires at all.

I could only muster up 10-12 mins out of each session, as it was 95* (felt like 115*) and humid as hell - not to mention I didn't feel up to par. My best of the day was in the 1:14's. I knew my line through 1-2-3 was slowing my down, so I switched it up day 2.

I don't have a lap timer in my car (resolved that issue for the next track day), but it felt a lot smoother and much quicker. My shift points were earlier and I was having to brake harder into T5.

I skipped a few sessions on day 2, due to feeling like crap. Kept drinking as much OJ as I could, and by the time TT came up, I felt much better. The car had been sitting and I only had 3 laps to run my quickest times, so I bumped the tire pressure up a few psi and headed out.

Ended up running my three best times of the weekend on my three TT laps; 1:13.5X, 1:13.3X, 1:13.6X.

For my first time at the track, I was pretty happy with the results, but I really wanted a 1:12X. I ended up setting a class record with COM for Prepared B, so that was pretty awesome!

Next track day is with NARRA at Pitt Race August 16-18th.

Old Aug 11, 2013, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Someone made my car in Forza!

Old Aug 11, 2013, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Good **** Joe! Keep kicking ***!
Old Aug 12, 2013, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

Thats freaking awesome....
Old Sep 13, 2013, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Well, it's been a while since I've updated this. I've been super busy working 2-3 weeks at a time, building moving in NJ, so I can afford to race. It sucks, but its totally worth it when I get to the track.

Anyways, most of the update will be pictures - and screen shots of my posts on Facebook (don't feel like typing them out again). I'll start with Pitt Race with NARRA...

This event was awesome. It was my first time running TT with NARRA, as well as my first time at PITT Race (formerly Beaver Run). The track is super fun, and I absolutely love running with NARRA. Anyways, I arrived a day early to make sure I had time to setup, and go over the car etc. Well, Friday I am swapping wheels, and I noticed a heat crack in my front rotor rings had made it to the edge and split!! So, I desperately searched for replacements in the area with no luck. Kaizen Tuning came through and found a set in NC, and had them overnighted to me.

The rotor rings arrived at 9:00am, which meant I had to sacrifice the first session of the TT.

The next day...

First time doing this..

This was the first time I've ever ran Hoosiers on a road course. I can't explain to you how awesome it was turning in on that first corner and realizing how much grip I had gained over the NT01's. I was literally smiling ear to ear under my helmet the entire first session with the R6's on.

I left a lot of time on the table at that track - considering I only ran a total of one full session on the R6's. My goal for next year is to be sub 1:00 at this track in TT3 form.

Video:

Last edited by FilthyEvo; Sep 13, 2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

My last event was Watkins Glen, with COMSCC. I was really looking forward to this event, as I've wanted to run the glen for a while now!

I got up there two days early, and spent a mini vacation with the girlfriend. I highly suggest checking out Watkins Glen State Park, and the WildFlower Cafe (great food and local beer) if you're in town.

Anyways, on my third lap (basically my 1st flying lap) going into the carousel, I downshift into 4th only to find out its not there anymore. It sounds like a can of marbles is inside the car and, at first, I thought a wheel was loose. I shifted back into 5th and putted along. I downshifted back into fourth - it went in smoothly - but the car wouldn't move - it would only rev as if I were in neutral.

I putted the car back to the garages, and drained the trans fluid only to find chunks of 4th gear. 3 laps in and my weekend was over.

Unfortunately, with a short time frame until my next planned event - Thunder at the Glen with NASA (sept 27-29), I will be missing this event as well.

I'm sending my trans out to Shep to have it rebuilt, and also having the Evo 9 5th gear installed. At my power level, when I shift to 5th, it feels like I hit a brick wall, so the shorter 5th will definitely help!
Old Sep 14, 2013, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Welcome to the Shep trans club! Don't really want to be a member, but this car kind of ends up that way once you track it. I just changed all my fluids this past week so I hope to be good for another year of drivetrain abuse...

One lesson I've learned over the years is not to register for my next event until I've survived the current one.

Any chance you'll have it ready for COM in October? I registered last night.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by delongedoug
Welcome to the Shep trans club! Don't really want to be a member, but this car kind of ends up that way once you track it. I just changed all my fluids this past week so I hope to be good for another year of drivetrain abuse...

One lesson I've learned over the years is not to register for my next event until I've survived the current one.

Any chance you'll have it ready for COM in October? I registered last night.
Oh yeah, it'll definitely be ready.

I, too, always register as late as possible - just incase. Plus, my work schedule always changes so its tough to plan ahead.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

i always register early to make sure to get a spot. can always use the credits for next event if you can't make it. there has been several nasa TT events last year where it was full. the TT list for glen this year looks like it might be full also.

you did great at Pitt, flying for your first time there. too bad i couldn't push hard on sunday because of cracked wheel. too bad you can't make it to Glen. get ready for Thunderbolt, it's my home track

Last edited by honda-guy; Sep 14, 2013 at 11:04 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FilthyEvo's track car build/track day writeups