Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

FilthyEvo's track car build/track day writeups

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
according to NASA TT rules, the power to weight ratio has to be (also depends on aero package and tire size)
TT1 >= 5.5:1
TT2 >= 8.0:1
TT3 >= 9.0:1

so if you run TT3, and your car weigh 3250 lbs.

3250 / 9 = 361 why (dynojet)
361 - 10% = 325 whp (mustang dyno)

you have to submit your classification for along with certify dyno graph. if mustang dyno is used, then add 10% to HP value.

they have portable dyno at the track at most events.
if you win, and someone suspect that you are running over the power limit, they can protest and put your car on the dyno.

at national events, they have tamper proof tape to put over your odb2 port and boost controller. then can also put gps receiver on your car to see your acceleration and determine HP while you're on track.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by honda-guy
according to NASA TT rules, the power to weight ratio has to be (also depends on aero package and tire size)

you have to submit your classification for along with certify dyno graph. if mustang dyno is used, then add 10% to HP value.

if you win, and someone suspect that you are running over the power limit, they can protest and put your car on the dyno.

at national events, they have tamper proof tape to put over your odb2 port and boost controller. then can also put gps receiver on your car to see your acceleration and determine HP while you're on track.
Wow. I did not know this. Always wanted to get into road racing. Maybe soon Thompson is building a new track I have heard. It's 30 mins from dynotechtuning.

-Brian
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lots of good info posted today - thanks guys!

Brought the car down to Kaizen Tuning today. Finally got to meet Scott and all the Kaizen guys! All I have to say is wow! The guys are awesome, and their shop is amazing. Nothing like walking in and seeing 8 GTR's being worked on, haha! Really looking forward to working with them, and happy to have my car in their hands!

Basic run down of what will be done to the car;

- Fab up a passenger seat bracket and/or modify the cage.
- Mount NT01's
- Alignment
- Full tech inspection in prep for CTD
- I talked with them about doing a pump gas tune, so I could switch between maps for race days vs. track days.

I'll be picking up the car next Friday on my way down to NJ. Looking forward to CTD so much; can't wait to hang out with everyone and finally get on a real track!

Anyways, I was stoked to be there, and I completely forgot to take any pics - this is the only one I snapped right after I unloaded the car.

Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You will move up from NT01s rather fast.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Drifting Away
You will move up from NT01s rather fast.
They're for HPDE's.

I will be picking up a set of wheels (probably RPF1's), and I will be running A6's for timed events.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FilthyEvo
They're for HPDE's.

I will be picking up a set of wheels (probably RPF1's), and I will be running A6's for timed events.
. After watching those in action I would have to say they are magic hahaha. enjoy the grip!
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Oh, interesting. So if I have my Evo tuned on a Dynojet, I don't need to add the +10%?

For those talking about using E85 to broaden the power curve and not increase peak whp, does anyone have examples? Don't have many E85 stations around but would def dive into this if makes a huge difference and I can get into a rythm of filling up on E85 when the light turns on so it would be more like E70 or E60.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gannieevo9
Oh, interesting. So if I have my Evo tuned on a Dynojet, I don't need to add the +10%?
that's correct.

"AWD using Mustang or Dyno Dynamics Dyno add 10%"

here's the NASA TT classification for form for TTU/TT1/TT2/TT3

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/t...cation-sur.pdf
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

For those talking about using E85 to broaden the power curve and not increase peak whp, does anyone have examples? Don't have many E85 stations around but would def dive into this if makes a huge difference and I can get into a rythm of filling up on E85 when the light turns on so it would be more like E70 or E60.
Yes my car made around the max allowed whp for TT3 for my car but the TQ was what was amazing (cant remember the exact numbers) at around 18 psi and my curve was amazing. E85 is rather nice Ill ok for the dyno sheet if I can find it.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:48 PM
Former Sponsor

here is one of TT cars.

this is the TT3 dyno. hes only allowed 332whp with the weight of the car. for the TT3 tune he has 300whp+ from 4400rpm all the way to 8000rpm. so he is within 10whp of the max allowed for nearly the entire RPM range the car runs through.

then we flip a switch and the curve looks like this:

this is the TT2 tune. again, it easily hits the power to weight limit. it has 330whp from 4900-8000rpm. not quite as impressive as the TT3 tune cause it doesnt hold the max whp as long, but it still has 380ftlb from 3400rpm to 5000rpm.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Drifting Away
. After watching those in action I would have to say they are magic hahaha. enjoy the grip!
Thanks!

I've autocrosses on A6's before and the grip is amazing. I can't wait to try them on a real track!
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

^ that's an awesome torque curve on E85

but a detuned C5 z06 in TT3 has 300 ft/lb of torque from 2k rpm and up to 370 lbs by 4k rpm
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Cant beat that curve
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:20 PM
Former Sponsor

^ that's an awesome torque curve on E85

but a detuned C5 z06 in TT3 has 300 ft/lb of torque from 2k rpm and up to 370 lbs by 4k rpm
N/a engines can't compare to our hp curve. We have the max allowed whp our entire power band. Notice we also have 370ftlb at 4k rpm, tapering down to keep power exactly at the limit. We don't ever use 2k rpm so I don't really care if a z06 had 300ftlb at 1000rpm cause he won't have nearly as much power output, and thus will be quite a bit slower accelerating if that's where he's driving.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

they redline at 6500 rpm, so they'll be in the lower rpm range than evo. they cut timing to reduce power after peak power and keep the power curve pretty flat with minimal power drop till redline.

that power curve for TT3 evo is definitely nice. if local gas stations near tracks have E85, i'll make the switch for sure.

Quick Reply: FilthyEvo's track car build/track day writeups