Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

EVO9 Wing Failure/Track Related/ FYI

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2013, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And I thought I was being paranoid when I noticed mine wobbles when shutting my trunk lid lol.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Pirana
Im sure it would help. But I don't know how you would inject the foam.
You'd have to drill holes in the bottom and reseal them properly. Most of the retail foam is too thick to push in from the sides only.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

Holy! Thank god I have an 8
Old Apr 11, 2013, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
You'd have to drill holes in the bottom and reseal them properly. Most of the retail foam is too thick to push in from the sides only.
I agree, the foam would be better in a more liquid state

But, If there was a way to gain side access to the wing, you may be able to foam the wing. If you could extend the dispensing straw down the full length of the wing & slowly extract it while spraying, you may be able to fully pack-in the foam

Working w/ polyurethane is not easy to work with & it stains & drys very quickly & is almost impossible to remove
Poly U is everywhere, even on what youre sitting on right now Been working around this stuff all my 24 year career
Old Apr 11, 2013, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting thread.... have you guys seen or heard of any EVO X wings braking on track? Or are they solid like in the EVO 8's because mine seems solid and firm.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by GoodTimes
Interesting thread.... because mine seems solid and firm.
That's what she said Bah, someone was gonna do it
Old Apr 12, 2013, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

WOW, Time to find me a evo 8 wing!!!
Old Apr 15, 2013, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Gentlemen... I just heard about this post in the general forum and I wanted to add my 2 cents.

First, I only read through the first page. So perhaps it's been covered but...

2 points.

1. Relative wind, and wind shear. If you're traveling at 140 mph into a 60mph headwind, that is obviously a 200mph wind speed. Being that lift/drag charts function on an exponential rate. A wind shift of 100mph when turning a corner can be quite severe. However...

2. Applying a flap to the trailing edge of the wing. It's difficult to tell from the photos, but if there is even a slight variance in how this product is applied, at speed, you could easily create a new pressure center. That pressure center, combined with the type of service a wing on a track would see, vs the type of service a wing on an aircraft would see, and you essentially create a situation where you can have something bending back and forth (think like a pop can tab).

More over, a wing structure is only designed to support a certain load, and I'm doubting HIGHLY, that the stock Evo wing is capable of handling anything over 175mph, let alone with the addition of the factory option gurney flap, or this aftermarket option. Remember, these vehicles were electronically limited to 155mph from the factory.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 05:59 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
^^^Thanks for the detailed reply

I agree w/you & certainly feel the day I ran was ripe for something like this

It still boggles my mechanical mind that a wing set at a zero angle would see that much load. Enough to snap it with such force as to dent the steel trunk
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Correct. And my 2 failed wings have been with the gurney flap.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
^^^Thanks for the detailed reply

I agree w/you & certainly feel the day I ran was ripe for something like this

It still boggles my mechanical mind that a wing set at a zero angle would see that much load. Enough to snap it with such force as to dent the steel trunk
Well, as the wing flexes, and ultimately develops a crack like the one in your photos, the relative angle of attack changes. So it's much more likely that the wing deformed itself to the point that rather than generating lift with both Bernoulli (the top spiked portion over the wing in the photo below), and Newton (the portion under the wing in the photo), Bernoulli essentially quit because the angle of attack was so severe that only Newton's force was able to function. So the wing became more of a speed brake than a wing, and that's how you got your dent. The wing essentially deformed itself from a zero angle, to having such a high angle of attack, that it turned into more of a projectile.

To any other aerodynamics people out there... don't hate, I'm trying to simplify simply to convey a point through text.

Moreover, I think many people who add the factory gurney flap, or any after market gurney flaps misunderstand how it actually effects the aerodynamics of the car.

The factory gurney flap was an option only because Mitsubishi realized that the rear end got too light at certain speeds. Rather than redesign the whole wing again, they added a small gurney flap.

When someone decides to add something more though, it's imperative that it is done with an exacting precision, especially if the wing should be used at speed. More to the point, drag, and lift function largely on an exponential curve (see below image), so adding a very small amount will yield SIGNIFICANT benefits at higher speeds. I would argue that, and that alone is the issue at hand here. The fact that your vehicle was likely seeing a relative wind of roughly 200mph, WITH an additional device added. It's highly likely that you simply exceeded the structural limitation of the wing. This is also why many factory wings on a car that can go 155mph look mundane, and the wings on a car that can go 175mph look much more serious.

Sorry to drone. Aerodynamics... heh.

Point C on this chart is where a manufacturer would ideally like their wing to exist. Maximum lift (downforce) and minimum drag. But that happens at a critical speed... obviously.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Serious question. At what speeds are you guys seeing the wings fail? With or without the gurney flap, and with or without a factory installed vortex generator?
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:15 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Thanks again for the aero details

Judging by your screen name, avatar & reference to VOR, you must be a pilot?

Do you fly professionally or recreationally?

EDIT: As you read, I was pushing 140+ in high winds. If Vic (Pirana) chimes-in he was pushing north of 175 mph

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Apr 15, 2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by ProPilot04
Serious question. At what speeds are you guys seeing the wings fail? With or without the gurney flap, and with or without a factory installed vortex generator?
i dont think i've ever gone above 90 (and not in terrible winds) when my spoiler failed. no vortex generator. this was a while ago. not sure what happened really.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Thanks again for the aero details

Judging by your screen name, avatar & reference to VOR, you must be a pilot?

Do you fly professionally or recreationally?

EDIT: As you read, I was pushing 140+ in high winds. If Vic (Pirana) chimes-in he was pushing north of 175 mph
Both? Haha... I did a bunch of random "career" flying for a bit... I've since (recently) moved to a desk job (groan) and if the money in aviation wasn't so god awful, I'd probably be heading back. Most of the flying I do now is rec, or instructing though... no big... just trying to add to the knowledge base.

Plus, all the good Evo screen names were taken (WHO TOOK MY EIVLEVO!)

Do you have a factory vortex generator? I think it'd be interesting to figure out a vspeed (reference speed) for this wing. Might have to tape some yarn up, and stick the gopro on the trunk on my next track excursion.

Originally Posted by kyoo
i dont think i've ever gone above 90 (and not in terrible winds) when my spoiler failed. no vortex generator. this was a while ago. not sure what happened really.
Kyoo... that's definitely got to be something structural unrelated to the airflow. I went over 90 yesterday haha.

If I had to make a recommendation, I'd wager anyone that is REGULARLY driving at speeds of over 125mph with an Evo 9 wing should consider looking for a real wing.

Bear in mind... the stock Evo 9 got thrown around the nurburgring, and I'm sure they were over 130mph. So as long as it isn't prolonged use, you should be fine.

Quick Reply: EVO9 Wing Failure/Track Related/ FYI