Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

EVO9 Wing Failure/Track Related/ FYI

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kognition design wing ftw.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverShadow03
looks like a larger wicker bill then i've seen previously installed on our oem wings. Evo 8 or 9 wing? the 9s are weaker than 8s. with the high winds you stated and your 130-140 mph speeds on the straight...this could happen.

sorry to see this happened to you!
Seems like a combo of the bold and the weaker 9 wing that happened here. Loving my 8 wing with the OEM wicker bill even more at this moment. I think VIII wing prices for track cars are about to go up...better get in some now folks.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:41 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
You guys are right. The 8 wing is the way to go

What I still dont understand is how it dented my trunk. Hard to believe it was under that much load just before if failed
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

People seem to think a stock wing doesn't generate that much down force. EFI Logics use to run NASA super touring with a Evo 9MR. They were trailoring it to Pocono on a open trailer when a tractor trailer retread flew over the rig and smacked the Evo's wing and broke it like yours. They tried to repair it at the track repeatably with strips of aluminum and wood. When they drove it on the superspeedway the wing would colapse no matter what they tried!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^Thats a good point

A failure like this really shows how much load the stock wing is under at a high speed track

Be curious to have a Aerodynamicist look at this failure & explain it in terms that a simpleton like me could understand
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Why not just reinforce it? The 9 wing doesn't have the clear coat failures like the 8 wing, and from your descriptions it sounds like it's lighter weight maybe. I'd just as soon put a nice support in the middle, or two. Esp if it ends up being faster to keep stock aero and run a better tire in TT3.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
i've had this happen to my 9 wing - for the TB, i got an 8 wing, never had an issue ever again. for the WW, I'm not sure what I could do.. i guess try to find an 05 ww 8 wing?
Old Mar 8, 2013, 05:38 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

This is my fix for the wing failure. Just got it today

APR GTC-200 (EVO specific AS-105948. Also got the 2" riser kit AS-100228). The 300 seemed a bit too wide for my application & level of required downforce

Opened the box to find no install instructions. Was curious about the torque values of attaching the mounting brkts to the wing. Plan on using some blue Locktite & will not apply a lot of load to it

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Mar 8, 2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 05:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
You guys are right. The 8 wing is the way to go

What I still dont understand is how it dented my trunk. Hard to believe it was under that much load just before if failed
When it initially snapped it probably slapped down the hardest then went back up once there wasn't any force on it........
Old Mar 8, 2013, 06:18 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Any of those huge aftermarket wings use the stock mount holes? I'd hate to have to drill my trunk, **** that because racecar.

Old Mar 8, 2013, 07:11 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by l888apex
When it initially snapped it probably slapped down the hardest then went back up once there wasn't any force on it........
Youre probably right Ben. With both windows down & so much wind & noise, I didnt hear it fail, but just blows my mind that it was under that much load

Originally Posted by golgo13
Any of those huge aftermarket wings use the stock mount holes? I'd hate to have to drill my trunk, **** that because racecar.

Noah. This GTC is EVO specific. You dont have to drill your sweet trunk

Joe

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Mar 9, 2013 at 06:13 AM.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

I'm glad you upgraded Joe. I got an APR-GTC200 with the 2" risers as well. There are no specific torque value given, or at least that I could find. I just torqued them until I couldnt see a gap in between the trunk and the wing's support plates. I also did the shake test to make sure it was on solid. Basically just grabbed each side of the wing and shaked it back and forth and side to side to make sure it was mounted securely. You will notice a big difference even just going down the freeway!

The front to back rolling sensation you get going over undulations all but dissappeared. Car feels very stable at speed.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
Why not just reinforce it? The 9 wing doesn't have the clear coat failures like the 8 wing, and from your descriptions it sounds like it's lighter weight maybe. I'd just as soon put a nice support in the middle, or two. Esp if it ends up being faster to keep stock aero and run a better tire in TT3.
I'm with you. The HP penalty for aero in TT3 makes it an all-or-nothing proposition. If you are taking the 0.5, you'd better pretty much have max aero installed. Taking it for just a rear wing would not work out so well.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by golgo13

Ciro Racing has a wing package with trunk mounts that bolt to the stock holes,

Rick
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Joe, who's wicker bill were you using when the wing broke? It sure looks taller than the others I've seen.

Quick Reply: EVO9 Wing Failure/Track Related/ FYI