Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Strange RS3 tire wear...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2014, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Strange RS3 tire wear...

Here is the picture of this strange wear that I was getting over the weekend event:
Strange RS3 tire wear...-hkik86d.jpg

The left side is on outside and you can clearly see lot more heat effect to that side of the thread. Interesting part happens for the two section on the side of the middle ring that have those curvy impressions. As you can see the one on the right side shows more wear than the one on the left side which is closer to the section that got lots of use.

Anyone has any idea what would make it to create that kind of uneven wear?

Fedja
Old Apr 22, 2014, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
are you talking about the "flame" looking things?

Old Apr 22, 2014, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Yes! Those flame things on the right side (which is inside) have much more wear then those on the left side (outside on the wheel).
Old Apr 22, 2014, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Old Apr 22, 2014, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by MrAWD
Yes! Those flame things on the right side (which is inside) have much more wear then those on the left side (outside on the wheel).
Well your camber is -2, so there's a key factor right off the bat. And not to side track but those tire pressures you posted, are those the pressure cold or hot?!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 07:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
My best guess would be from tire squirm cause the surface to sort of roll like ~ . I get odd wear kind of exactly opposite on the race tires with a ring around roughly where your outside flame is.

Also, and not quite apples to apples, when testing my ZII's they did some really funny things with lower pressures. Inside temps were really low and outside and mid would change equally with in the 30psi range. I tried lower based on roll but that just lost grip. Then I went up in pressure, got more grip and more roll. Also the temperature across started to get closer to linear when tested on our skidpad.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Those are the pressures I start each run with. I would start with them and keep them at that level through the event.

Last edited by MrAWD; Apr 22, 2014 at 07:40 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

What type of racing do you do?! I ask because I feel like your setup is opposite of what's usually ran in a Evo. Try to get the car to rotate more by running a higher tire pressure in the rear as well as a stiffer sway bar in the rear as well.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by e_kobz
What type of racing do you do?! I ask because I feel like your setup is opposite of what's usually ran in a Evo. Try to get the car to rotate more by running a higher tire pressure in the rear as well as a stiffer sway bar in the rear as well.
Just autoX.

I just don't understand were that notion of EVOs being tight and need to rotate them more is coming from. I have yet to experience understeer with EVO and rear is the only part that needs to be taken care for! That is why I had to run 34 psi in rear vs. 41 for front when running 285 Hoosiers...

Fedja
Old Apr 22, 2014, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Just autoX.

I just don't understand were that notion of EVOs being tight and need to rotate them more is coming from. I have yet to experience understeer with EVO and rear is the only part that needs to be taken care for! That is why I had to run 34 psi in rear vs. 41 for front when running 285 Hoosiers...

Fedja
When you say "the rear is the only part that needs to be taken care of" what do you mean?!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
My best guess would be from tire squirm cause the surface to sort of roll like ~ . I get odd wear kind of exactly opposite on the race tires with a ring around roughly where your outside flame is.

Also, and not quite apples to apples, when testing my ZII's they did some really funny things with lower pressures. Inside temps were really low and outside and mid would change equally with in the 30psi range. I tried lower based on roll but that just lost grip. Then I went up in pressure, got more grip and more roll. Also the temperature across started to get closer to linear when tested on our skidpad.
I will try to measure the temps next time to see what is going on in that regard too. It is possible that pressure is too low and combination of narrow rim and wide tires creates that. It could be also that this is a brand new tire and only the surface is scratched so far. If they would be shaved down to 4/32s they would not do this any more...

Fedja
Old Apr 22, 2014, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by e_kobz
When you say "the rear is the only part that needs to be taken care of" what do you mean?!
What I mean is that rear end is the one that is getting away and moving more than is needed. When you are in the slalom for example you still have to be careful and keep the rear end inline otherwise it start to get out too much and you ended up loosing lots of time. Another place is when you have decreasing radius turn and have to turn and slow down, rear end is one that has to be take care for - it likes to go out more than needed.

Steady state seem to be fine for me at this time!

Fedja
Old Apr 22, 2014, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

What I mean is that rear end is the one that is getting away and moving more than is needed. When you are in the slalom for example you still have to be careful and keep the rear end inline otherwise it start to get out too much and you ended up loosing lots of time. Another place is when you have decreasing radius turn and have to turn and slow down, rear end is one that has to be take care for - it likes to go out more than needed.

Fedja
That's strange my friend. I track my IX and have tracked a bunch of X's and I think they all under steered like crazy at stock-ish suspension levels. Are you on the stock suspension (springs/struts) as well?!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Yup...still stock dumpers...in process of getting something that is worth having...like 8300s
Old Apr 22, 2014, 08:16 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts

Fedja
this is the first time i've ever heard this regarding any Evo, for the most part. i'm curious to know what your suspension setup is. i had to rebuild my rear diff, put stiffer springs on the rear, and adjust the rake of my car to get it even close to neutral. i've never heard of one being tail happy. very interesting.

Quick Reply: Strange RS3 tire wear...