Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

OFFICIAL: Track videos thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
not Evo but i had a great fun race this weekend at NJMP Thunderbolt. the race winner would determine the season champ, we were very close on points. too bad he got black flag because window net feel down.

Old Nov 21, 2018, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
any advice from you track warriors on fixing braking too early and winding up lifting before corner entry? i think a big part of it is that I lost brakes the last few times on track, which has made me nervous in braking. the X brakes i have should be way better, but on track actually i didn't notice a TON of difference, and the pedal doesn't feel unbelievably firm or anything, which is what i was hoping for. i think it did improve on street, but maybe i already got used to it

Autobahn full:
Old Nov 21, 2018, 03:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
any advice from you track warriors on fixing braking too early and winding up lifting before corner entry? i think a big part of it is that I lost brakes the last few times on track, which has made me nervous in braking. the X brakes i have should be way better, but on track actually i didn't notice a TON of difference, and the pedal doesn't feel unbelievably firm or anything, which is what i was hoping for. i think it did improve on street, but maybe i already got used to it

Autobahn full:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W7RBVoBow4
What tires and pads are you using?
The following users liked this post:
kyoo (Nov 22, 2018)
Old Nov 22, 2018, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

My lines are horrible and Im leaving to much on the table haha.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
What tires and pads are you using?
rt615k+, which i hate, on 265/35-18 ce28n's, with st43 pads in from, girodisc s/s rear. running castrol srf, so i should be on a bulletproof no brake fade setup... but the pedal still feels like it'll go an extra quarter inch down than i'd like once they get some heat in them.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 10:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
rt615k+, which i hate, on 265/35-18 ce28n's, with st43 pads in from, girodisc s/s rear. running castrol srf, so i should be on a bulletproof no brake fade setup... but the pedal still feels like it'll go an extra quarter inch down than i'd like once they get some heat in them.
Did you bleed with a motive or old school method?
Old Nov 22, 2018, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Did you bleed with a motive or old school method?
both methods actually, but for when I'm "serious" I alread have a helper bleed manually
Old Nov 22, 2018, 10:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
A few things/questions:

- The X stuff isn't going to be earth shatteringly better. Moving to a larger disc will help stopping power a bit but the bigger reason to do it is the thermal capacity.
- I'm surprised those tires are screeching like that. I've not driven on 615s but I'm not sure I want to either haha.
- Are you using titanium pad shims? If so you will lose a bit of firmness in the pedal.
- If all you've changed is the calipers and rotors it's not going to make the pedal any more firm than it was before.
- Were you experiencing any brake fade at ABCC?
- Were the calipers rebuilt recently? Be sure none of your pistons are seizing.
- Are you sure what you experienced was brake fade and not pad knockback?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ayoustin
A few things/questions:

- The X stuff isn't going to be earth shatteringly better. Moving to a larger disc will help stopping power a bit but the bigger reason to do it is the thermal capacity.
- I'm surprised those tires are screeching like that. I've not driven on 615s but I'm not sure I want to either haha.
- Are you using titanium pad shims? If so you will lose a bit of firmness in the pedal.
- If all you've changed is the calipers and rotors it's not going to make the pedal any more firm than it was before.
- Were you experiencing any brake fade at ABCC?
- Were the calipers rebuilt recently? Be sure none of your pistons are seizing.
- Are you sure what you experienced was brake fade and not pad knockback?
thanks for the detail.. yea, they have been hollowing - there's a flat out kink in t6-7 where a good part of the time (not in this vid) the tires would screech. i was like.. really? i'm barely turning the wheel right now..

yes i am using ti pad shims - i'm curious as to why that would make me lose firmness though - i had a big issue with a set in the past but that was when they weren't sitting flush against the back of the pad

no brake fade to speak of. calipers were rebuilt very recently, over the 2017-18 winter i rebuilt them, then earlier in march or so i believe because the high temp dust seals were leaking, switched to oem with no issue since. i'm not sure what i'm experiencing is not pad knockback, i assumed that would be something that i could feel distinctively through the pedal. this could all be nothing and i just need to man up and go hard on the brakes and see what happens. brake harder, deeper, and stop lifting before the corner
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:31 AM
EvoM Guru

If you doubt that you're not braking hard enough, you're probably not lol. Pay attention to braking markers and try to push a tad deeper each lap.

As for the titanium shims losing pedal firmness, I'm not sure how true it is. I ran them on my stock calipers as well and never felt there was an issue with firmness but I also never ran without them. But as far as science goes, the metal will expand as it gets hot (and it does get hot, mine were heat colored) it will get compressed a bit as the cooler pistons push on them. It's only going to be a couple thou at most though so I wouldn't think that'd make for a huge impact on pedal feel.

If it's knockback it'll feel like you have no brakes for some of the initial pedal travel, kinda scary if you don't know it's coming. Often you'll see guys tap the brakes before going into a braking zone. The initial tap takes up all the slack in the caliper from the knockback and then when they go to use the brakes for the braking zone they won't lose any pedal travel to taking up that slack.

Last edited by Ayoustin; Nov 26, 2018 at 03:06 PM.
kyoo (Nov 26, 2018)
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

hm... how do you cure knockback? aside from changing calipers
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Stiffen the caliper/knuckle, puts antiknock springs behind the caliper pistons, make sure the runout on your rotors isn't excessive, make sure there isn't a lot of play in your wheel bearings. That's about it.
kyoo (Nov 26, 2018)
Old Nov 26, 2018, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ayoustin
Stiffen the caliper/knuckle, puts antiknock springs behind the caliper pistons, make sure the runout on your rotors isn't excessive, make sure there isn't a lot of play in your wheel bearings. That's about it.
actually - i did notice the lower bolt on both my calipers was not very tight - not loose, but it did not take a lot of effort to loosen them. that maye have contributed a little. i'll consider the antiknockback springs the next time the calieprs get rebuilt, and i just had the rotors cut. going to rebed them in once everything is back together and it's not 20 degrees outside lol. again though, could all be nothing - i'll pay more attention the next time i'm out there.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Was going through some videos last night from previous years and decided to upload this one. Shows how fast crows is, I couldn't run this thing in 2nd gear because it was all over rev limiter. The back sweeper was just a bit under 90mph. This was also back on stock block, stock turbo in 2015 Crows Tour. I did get the win that weekend, so was certainly a good weekend.

Old Dec 11, 2018, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

what do you guys use to track lap time data, ie your personal best, most recent, etc?

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL: Track videos thread [MERGED]