Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

OFFICIAL: Track videos thread [MERGED]

Old Dec 11, 2018, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
I'll be getting Racelogic's vbox sport for next year. It's controlled with any IOS device so it's pretty user friendly, works with Harry's Laptimer and other track time apps, 20hz internal GPS, automatically starts logging when you get above like 2mph so if you're forgetful like me you won't lose a session from forgetfulness. It's not the cheapest solution but IMO it's the most user friendly solution that requires the least amount of setup and attention, I'd rather take time to focus on setting up the car and not worrying that telemetry stuff is working properly or having to troubleshoot that but I'm also technologically retarded so others may not see the value in it.

Pair it with a cheap gopro and you can get some decent overlays with accurate telemetry.

https://www.vboxautomotive.co.uk/ind...ers/vbox-sport

https://racelogic.support/02VBOX_Mot..._Sport_Logging
Old Dec 11, 2018, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
when choosing data, make sure you pay attention to the file format. Its always nice to be able to have files that can be analyzed/compared/shared etc easily, which is why my recommendation is almost always AiM. the solo/solo2 are quick and dirty and provide good high quality data.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21 View Post
when choosing data, make sure you pay attention to the file format. Its always nice to be able to have files that can be analyzed/compared/shared etc easily, which is why my recommendation is almost always AiM. the solo/solo2 are quick and dirty and provide good high quality data.
I've only briefly looked at the AiM stuff. How easy is it to overlay the data file it exports onto a video?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin View Post
I've only briefly looked at the AiM stuff. How easy is it to overlay the data file it exports onto a video?
you can export the data to csv file to be import into race render for video overlap.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by honda-guy View Post
you can export the data to csv file to be import into race render for video overlap.
Okay that's easy enough. I'd really like to get the DL model as the extra info would be awesome and I'm pretty fluent with excel so I usually make pivot tables and graphs out of data whenever I can. Unfortunately the DL is a good bit more expensive so that'll probably have to wait for another time.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
i'm not sure if the DL will work with Evo 8/9 unless you get external sensors. DL are meant to use with CAN protocol, so they work with Evo X. i have a DL for my RX8, along with smarty cam HD. no more post processing for data overlap on video.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin View Post
takes me about 10 minutes in race render like honda guy said
Old Dec 18, 2018, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by honda-guy View Post
i'm not sure if the DL will work with Evo 8/9 unless you get external sensors. DL are meant to use with CAN protocol, so they work with Evo X. i have a DL for my RX8, along with smarty cam HD. no more post processing for data overlap on video.
The older DL works with the Evo VIII/IX since I tracked with folks who used it on their Evos. The newer DL supports over 1000+ different ECU protocols per their own documentation. Don't see why they would have pulled support on that one. I only didn't buy the DL because at the time I was using it in both the kart and the Evo. I shoulda gotten the DL....

Edit: Video from one of our own members here showing it in use on an older Evo:
Old Dec 18, 2018, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi folks, didn't know this thread existed. Below are some of my fast lap videos at various southern California tracks.

I have the following mods:
ST-43 Front Pads/DS2500 Rear Pads
Girodisc Front Rotors/Stock Rear Rotors
Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars (Front at full stiff, rear at medium)
Ohlins Road & Track Coilover 10kF/10kR (lowered 3/4" front and 1/2" rear) - Car is not corner balanced, zero toe all around
OEM tire size -Falken 615K+

I kept the car bone stock and stock weight, my goal is to build a stock powered Evo only using suspension upgrades. I want to keep the stock reliability, while maintaining comfort for the streets. I think my next mod is wider rims + 265/35 tires.

I have no idea how to embed videos on here it would good if someone can tell me how.

Streets of Willow (1:27.14)

Buttonwillow (2:07.1)

Chuckwalla (2:07.2)
Old Feb 14, 2019, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO IX MR stock 6spd dynotuned 299hp /298tq
Mods:
GSC S2 cams
hi flow cat
TI cat back
KW V3 coilovers
rear swaybar
245/45/17 hoosiers
brake pads; XP10 XP8 carbotech with ti shims ATE200 fluid

Connecticut Autocross and Rally Team Time Trials at Canaan Motorsports club. Good for class win and FTD of the day. August 2018

Oldie: Connecticut Autocross and Rally Team Time Trials at Pocono South. Good for class win and FTD of the day. Sept. 2017 later run groups had to deal with a wetter track but I still put down my fastest laps of the day.

Last edited by ragek23; Feb 14, 2019 at 08:32 PM. Reason: screwed up links
Old Feb 14, 2019, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 174 Likes on 140 Posts
That looks like a super fun track.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First time tracking the evolution giving the car a shakedown.

Old May 1, 2019, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 174 Likes on 140 Posts
Ugh, shuffle steering... I would certainly look up at Codgi's video. I can understand peoples argument in AX for shuffle steering even if I still think its wrong but never on track.

Id also recommend getting closer to the wheel. Might be the video perspective but looks like you're reaching for the wheel quite a bit.
Old May 1, 2019, 07:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J View Post
Ugh, shuffle steering... I would certainly look up at Codgi's video. I can understand peoples argument in AX for shuffle steering even if I still think its wrong but never on track.

Id also recommend getting closer to the wheel. Might be the video perspective but looks like you're reaching for the wheel quite a bit.
the seat is moved all the way forward i need to install the pole position asap , as for shuffle steering it is a bad habit of mine from driving non ps steering car before 😔
Old May 1, 2019, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Yeah the video does make it hard to tell where you are sitting. With more seat time you'll kick that shuffle steering with the quickness

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OFFICIAL: Track videos thread [MERGED]

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.