Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

N7 Evo returns to Wilmington; I think I'm starting to LEARN something! Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N7 Evo returns to Wilmington; I think I'm starting to LEARN something! Thoughts?

Hey guys! New Autocross video is up! I'm trying a little something new this time to make the videos more fun, interesting, and short. So feedback on the new format would be appreciated!

Wilmington had been repaved so grip was a hot commodity for all. Add the threat of a rain storm and -- who am I kidding it's Autocross! Rain or Shine we'll be running! Even if it did rain, then it'd have just been drift practice! In the end, I'm really happy with my best run, and feel like I'm really starting to learn something here. So let me know what you all think! Run times are posted at the end of the video.

Date of AutoX: 18 August 2014
Club: Miami Valley Sports Car Club (MVSCC)
Driver: N7_EvoX
Car:Project Zeke
Run #: All Runs listed in Video
Old Aug 18, 2014, 06:43 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Still a few times you could have kept both hands on the wheel. Looks like you are sitting close enough, so should be easy. One hand =bad habit. :-)
Sounds like you are pushing a bit. You may be losing a bit of time while your tires are squealing like that. Hard to tell without being on the car. You would probably know better than us.
I didn't have time to watch the while vid, but those are some things I noticed. Better than your first one, iirc. Good job, yo.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 06:54 PM

Thanks man! I'll keep the one-handedness in mind next time. I definitely agree that I could have saved time with less sliding, but it was certainly difficult to maintain traction for a number of reasons: first, I'm running on Continental DWS All-weather tires...not as grippy as summer tires. Next season I'll be running a dedicated summer set. I'm thinking Michelin PSS. Secondly, the lot had just been repaved with new tarmac, so all of the oils and stuff were still fresh. Almost everyone was sliding. Some even spun out dangerously close to some of those light poles!

Anyways, thanks for the feedback, and I'll keep some of it in mind next time! Keep the advice, coming guys! My petrol brain is a sponge!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:07 AM
kaj

have you rebuilt your rear diff yet? that made the most difference in my car's balance. i haven't even needed to swap out the rear sway bar.

if the surface was junk.. not much you could have done anyway. tire squeal isn't deadly.. as long as you don't hear the dreaded "tire stutter" LOL. that's the only way i know how to explain it. when it goes from

"squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal"

to

"sqqqd d d d d d d d"
Old Aug 19, 2014, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by AMTrombley0924
first, I'm running on Continental DWS All-weather tires...not as grippy as summer tires. Next season I'll be running a dedicated summer set.

I think this is a good idea. Last year, I ran Continental DWS on my stock 2005 STI. While it is good for all-season driving, it severely limited the car during autocross.

I am running Dunlop ZII on my Evo right now, and hoping to test it out before the AutoX season ends. Keep up the good work man!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by kaj
have you rebuilt your rear diff yet? that made the most difference in my car's balance. i haven't even needed to swap out the rear sway bar.

if the surface was junk.. not much you could have done anyway. tire squeal isn't deadly.. as long as you don't hear the dreaded "tire stutter" LOL. that's the only way i know how to explain it. when it goes from

"squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal"

to

"sqqqd d d d d d d d"
I haven't rebuilt the diff yet and don't plan to. For handling, I plan to replace the control arms and get Ohlins coilovers among a few other things, but why should I invest in a new diff as well? Especially if this is mostly going to be a recreational thing, not really trying to get into serious competition.

I know exactly what you mean with that last noise, haha.

Originally Posted by jwl03
I think this is a good idea. Last year, I ran Continental DWS on my stock 2005 STI. While it is good for all-season driving, it severely limited the car during autocross.

I am running Dunlop ZII on my Evo right now, and hoping to test it out before the AutoX season ends. Keep up the good work man!
I agree wholeheartedly. Couldn't really afford new wheels and tires (ultimately I'd like to keep the separate tires mounted on their own sets of wheels), but by next season I hope to be running Enkei Raijins (18 x 9.5) with Michelin PSS rubber for the summer (all around, not track only), and keep the stock wheels with the DSWs. This should help me get a lot more grip so I can REALLY learn the handling dynamics of this in it's natural habitat, lol
Old Aug 19, 2014, 07:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
have you rebuilt your rear diff yet? that made the most difference in my car's balance.
I think this is an 8/9 thing only.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 08:36 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
I think this is an 8/9 thing only.
Oh yeah. Forgot he had a X LOL. Thanks