Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

RaceFab wet sump pan

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2016, 10:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by alpinaturbo
Honda-Guy

Shocked by your findings on AMS oil pan: I got mine specifically to eliminate concern on track, and you saw it dropping pressure even sooner than OEM Pan.

You say it dropped oil pressure sooner but not as low: can you kindly tell us how low did it drop?
Anything else you can add?

I am not all that happy to rely on Accusump when oil pan design is inadequate.
May have to take it off, and find DIY solution.
I have a 3qt accusump but im not convinced that it does its job tbh. Its got an electric valve and is on a 3d oil pressure table.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by alpinaturbo
Honda-Guy

You say it dropped oil pressure sooner but not as low: can you kindly tell us how low did it drop?
Anything else you can add?
i didn't actually log data, i'm going by my in car video which shows the oil pressure gauge. i ran the AMS pan at two different track and the results were the same.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOizmm
I still need to upgrade to the electric switch. 2qt system should be enough. 2qts is more oil than most pans will offer. I plumbed mine right into the oil filter housing.

I personally don't have any data on other pans, but I've been told from a few sources now that the drops still occur with the AMS pan.

I've concluded the Accusump is the best fix.
What did you pre-charge the air side of the Accusump to? It would seem to help to pre-charge 20-30psi but Accusump instructions only write 7-10psi. I would think adding additional pre-charge would allow a greater available oil volume.

Are there any oiling system diagrams available to make a good determination of how/where to install the Accusump? I would be concerned about the flow direction of the oil coming from the Accusump during a low oil pressure situation (Accusump recommends using a check valve). Looking at some google image search oiling diagrams, the best way to ensure the oil from the Accusump is going towards the engine is to connect it at the oil cooler return line with a check valve that prevents back flowing the oil cooler. Mitsubishi manual shows the return line as the one connected to the bottom of the oil cooler which seems backwards.

Nevermind... reading Accusump's instructions it says the check valve isn't necessary as it isn't likely that oil will be able to travel back through the oil pump. So, it doesn't really matter a whole lot how it is plumbed in.

Last edited by nollij; Feb 23, 2016 at 12:29 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by nollij
What did you pre-charge the air side of the Accusump to?

Are there any oiling system diagrams available to make a good determination of how/where to install the Accusump? I would be concerned about the flow direction of the oil coming from the Accusump during a low oil pressure situation (Accusump recommends using a check valve). Looking at some google image search oiling diagrams, the best way to ensure the oil from the Accusump is going towards the engine is to connect it at the oil cooler return line with a check valve that prevents back flowing the oil cooler. Mitsubishi manual shows the return line as the one connected to the bottom of the oil cooler which seems backwards.
Using the electric valve, the accusump will fill slowly until the pressure threshold is reached at which time it will rapid fill.

the only thing that really matters is the end result. This can be seen when logging. I can 100% say my result is better than no accusump. Is it perfect yet? no. I'm still using the manual valve. I hope to try the electric valve and test again.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 06:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts
Before Accusump 2 spun rod bearings. 120,000 miles after fitting the Accusump no spun bearings.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
according to instagram, that hardcore orange time attack evo that john carson drives in GTA will be running this pan this year...so should have some heavy duty testing.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
If all goes well we'll debut this on 3/12 with about a dozen other ST2 entries. Should be epic...to last the weekend lol.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 08:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOizmm
Using the electric valve, the accusump will fill slowly until the pressure threshold is reached at which time it will rapid fill.

the only thing that really matters is the end result. This can be seen when logging. I can 100% say my result is better than no accusump. Is it perfect yet? no. I'm still using the manual valve. I hope to try the electric valve and test again.
how do u have ur electric valve being controlled? via a 3d table on your ecu? if so what kind of pressure vs rpm do you have it open at? i see my table ramps up progressively till about 4000rpm at 60psi and then it just flatlines at 60psi for every rpm above that till redline. im wondering if maybe i should raise it to say 80psi from 5500rpm onwards etc. but not sure if the accusump is even capable of supplying oil at this kind of pressure with the electric valve? and even if it can wether it will supply it for long enough to be effective?
Old Mar 12, 2016, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
If all goes well we'll debut this on 3/12 with about a dozen other ST2 entries. Should be epic...to last the weekend lol.
How did it go today dude?
Old Mar 13, 2016, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Much better then even I hoped for.

Conditions: Fair/80deg
Track temp: 93deg
Setup: ST2 map, Fresh R7's, remembering how to drive stick again

Summary: So being it's been forever since I've been given a brake from the house project I wasn't at my best but my focus was mostly on getting ya'll this data and remembering what I needed to remember for next time. I was way outclassed in ST2 but I had fun none the less and placed 3rd.

So here's the output from that run:

Ignore those first dips, that's traffic bunching up after a hot lap and me having to come to a stop almost before the green flag.

What it doesn't say....is that we forgot to tighten the oil cap after refilling it from a new catch can setup thats sucking oil from the dipstick (another post). Thus, this pan KEPT optimal PSI even though 2 quarts of oil managed to escape all over the engine bay (yes, I'm still finding oil from when the dipstick let go, and now this lol). I'm convinced it saved my motor this round. And no, no leaks from the pan still

Last edited by Balrok; Mar 13, 2016 at 06:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
codgi (Mar 14, 2016)
Old Mar 13, 2016, 08:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Well then. My only issue now is it won't clear my O2 dump.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 09:41 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I like this.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 04:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
thanks for the update balrok

so some of the lowest dip in pressure is mid 40's? that's a lot better than mid 20's for stock pan.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by honda-guy
thanks for the update balrok

so some of the lowest dip in pressure is mid 40's? that's a lot better than mid 20's for stock pan.
Yep. Going through the turn data it stayed in the 90's on both turns 1 and 12 which are 90+mph. I basically run out of 4th gear coming out so that's also 7000+ rpm's at ~1.5-1.6G's.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Well then. My only issue now is it won't clear my O2 dump.
Have you asked? Pretty sure he can fab some clearance in the pan.

Quick Reply: RaceFab wet sump pan