Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

RaceFab wet sump pan

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
That bung placement is 50/50. No, the racefab pans don't come with any bungs stock (that I know of) but can be specified if you want it. I personally don't think pressure, or temp, in the pan is more crucial then in the pump aka filter housing which already has the ports. Temp....maybe...because it'd be "interesting" to know what the temp is dripping out of the engine - but at 80psi that's very short lived and the input at the housing would be 1-2 deg difference. On pressure - the only point I see in the pan is if you wanted case pressure - which is a bad idea placement wise to have it submerged like that and are better off in several mid-block areas. I'd rather know what it is post filter where it really matters.

Then you have the issue of a "hole" in your pan which is one more point of failure. Buuut thats just me.

On the other topic of will this, accusump, etc save right handers. The answer is no - but it's better then stock. The ONLY answer to that question is dry sumping, period.

Think of these points as - stock -> wetsump -> accu+wet -> drysump
|----|-|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Last edited by Balrok; Dec 10, 2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Reading pressure from the block looking at the pan as the best point for temp but I see your point. With temp it's all about the delta and I agree they were plenty of other places to measure it. Thanks for the info
Old Dec 10, 2017, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok

On the other topic of will this, accusump, etc save right handers. The answer is no - but it's better then stock. The ONLY answer to that question is dry sumping, period.

Think of these points as - stock -> wetsump -> accu+wet -> drysump
|----|-|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
If I am reading this correctly you feel that with the accu+wet is only marginally better than just a wet?

Makes me think I need to be careful, watch the gauges and stay away from super sticky tires lol. I am looking for a weekend warrior setup and not a full blown professional race car so hopefully the wet sump will be good enough
Old Dec 10, 2017, 02:36 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I've run my temp sensor from the filter housing and now the pan. I don't remember much difference in reading, but it's been a while. If it were a substantial change, I'm sure I'd remember. I like the sensor being in the pan, mostly because the OFH gets crowded with all the sensors and turbo feed line.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who do I PM about more info on this. Might be interested.

Thanks
Old Dec 11, 2017, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Accu's work, but I zoom out and look at the whole package. If I add all the additional lines, tank, and rely on it re-pressurizing itself, then the milliseconds for it to re-pressurize the filter housing - does it really offer you that inth level of safety to be worth it. Reason being - if I add the lines...tank...etc for a Dry sump, I realize how much more it offers for the same risk of weight, leaks, etc. Ignoring cost of course.

That being said - the wetsump offers 10x more protection then stock, but dry offers 100x. I'm running wet on it's 2nd season now without issues but i'm no PA TA car grip levels. So yes at DE speeds you should be fine. Hope that makes sense.

Far as PM'ing for more info - depends on the info. If you want to get on the group buy - heal2toe, if you want general info it's here in this thread.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
i'm more or less onboard with this given it fits above the stock undertray.

my wallet is hurting with this evo x brake swap business but i think as i shift my focus more towards hpdes this will be worth it.

i've got the kiggly, tomei scraper/windage, and the buschur pan, and will swap in racefab's modified pickup & sump
Old Dec 11, 2017, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Great discussion going on in here; love the back and forth. I too have been pondering the idea of an Accusump as well but it just seems like added complexity and I'd prefer to start with the pan personally and go from there.

Without concrete facts looking at data I think its hard to say which one is better. Both will buy time but a long enough sustained right hander will probably lose pressure regardless after both "reservoirs" are depleted.

So meanwhile looks like we're over the threshold to get this group buy initiated! There are still a bunch of details that need to be worked out so I am doing my best to keep it organized and make sure we're all on the same page, know the associated costs up front and we all end up with what we are after in regards to specific requests like temp bungs new vs sending in your own pan, turbo oil return line etc.

I will PM everyone on this list to start and compile that information. I know for some folks this is time sensitive and others would prefer if we stall it some so this is by no means game on just yet but certainly in motion.

If you dont see your name on this list and are interested send me a PM. This is simply a list of people who either messaged me or expressed interest in here.

Heel2toe
Kyoo
Hoojin
BillAce
MT057
Willitas34
Old Dec 11, 2017, 08:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
Accu's work, but I zoom out and look at the whole package. If I add all the additional lines, tank, and rely on it re-pressurizing itself, then the milliseconds for it to re-pressurize the filter housing - does it really offer you that inth level of safety to be worth it. Reason being - if I add the lines...tank...etc for a Dry sump, I realize how much more it offers for the same risk of weight, leaks, etc. Ignoring cost of course.

That being said - the wetsump offers 10x more protection then stock, but dry offers 100x. I'm running wet on it's 2nd season now without issues but i'm no PA TA car grip levels. So yes at DE speeds you should be fine. Hope that makes sense.

Far as PM'ing for more info - depends on the info. If you want to get on the group buy - heal2toe, if you want general info it's here in this thread.
Funny you say that because the PA car runs a wet sump, and they do see pressure drops, but their recent engine failures were not due to starvation (per the team).
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
I chatted with Mike from PA at PRI this past weekend. We didn't talk much about starvation but he did mention that the PA car will be making the jump to a dry sump at some point. It is pretty crazy that both PA and the RS guys are still on wet sumps.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Regarding the accusump, at what minimum pressure does it activate to pump oil back into the filter housing?

If running the electronic valve, could it not be activated by ECU to operate when over a certain rev range with a set minim pressure.

Ive just got my own Racefab sump and will be fitting it along with the Accusump I have eventually.

Last edited by TimC909; Dec 12, 2017 at 07:24 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 03:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
oohhhhh I really wish i saw this earlier. Ive been eyeing up those racefab pans for over a month now. If someone could PM me with rough pricing, I might be able to squeeze the budget to get in on the list. I would say I am flaky though.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Has the group buy already happened?
Old Dec 28, 2017, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Is anyone still interested in getting the pans?
Old Dec 29, 2017, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Sorry Im just seeing this now...with the holidays Rob has been slammed so I've yet to get an update from him. This is still happening and after the new year we should be in much better shape to get this underway.

I was just hoping to hear back and finalize the details before I start taking payments and having folks ship out pans and things of that nature.

If you have any questions ask away or feel free to pm me

Quick Reply: RaceFab wet sump pan