Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2017 / 2018 Optima Ultimate Street Car Invitational

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2015, 05:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where are you able to watch these?
Old Dec 11, 2015, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by WWGSR
Where are you able to watch these?
I had to record at my Moms house who has Direct TV as I can't get it with dish anymore.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I appreciate everyone's interest in the series and the OUSCI and I'll do my best to answer everyone's questions. The events are about street cars and we want to do everything we can to make sure it stays that way. In 2014, a lot of competitors started showing up with really significant aero modifications that made the cars competing look a lot more like race cars than street cars, regardless of whether the aero was effective or not (most of the cars found a way to run faster in 2015 without it).

The sponsor decals already make these cars look enough like race cars, that we don't need to push it any further. All of these events are filmed and aired on TV and regardless of the reality, the perception moved in a direction that this series was full of race cars with license plates, which isn't the case. There are still no restrictions on diffusers and other under-car aero mods that aren't as noticeable as a massive wing that might intimidate a potential future competitor to the point that they wouldn't even sign up for an event.

The Lingenfelter Design & Engineering Challenge is a very important aspect of this event and one of the big differences between the OUSCI and a multitude of other events that determine winners strictly based on times run on a track. This event was born out of the SEMA show and the question of whether any of those cars could be driven on the street or enjoyed at the track. We still invite cars off the SEMA floor every year. As part of this competition, a Ridler-winning show car should be rewarded more than a car that uses sponsor decals to hide cone rash.

Even with that, the subjective portion of the judging is less than 50% of the score available. Does a car have a windows, a working horn, functioning headlights, carpeting, windshield wipers, etc...? If it has all those elements that are found in street cars, that's 15 of the 25 points available. If it's a gutted, street-legal race car, it will get dinged significantly in D&E points.

The TV series currently airs on MAVTV every Friday through Monday, but digital outlets are coming soon (I was just on a conference call about that today).

The schedule is designed to offer competitors all across the country the opportunity to run multiple events in their region. Even with that effort, we still have a lot of competitors who travel thousands of miles, just to run in a single event. As we are now entering our third year of competition, we have watched hundreds of competitors run in these events and we know where folks who have a high propensity to participate live. We'll get a few from the far corners of the country, but definitely not enough to warrant events in the Northeast or Northwest. We did run an East coast event at Charlotte Motor Speedway this year, which sold out and we will be back there again next year. We will also be going to New Jersey Motorsports Park, so folks who want to run at an East Coast event need to sign up before those events sell out (registration opens December 28th).

While AWD did have it's own class in 2014, it was split into GTL and GTS in 2015, based on weight. The winning car was sponsored by Lingenfelter, but it is also sponsored by a lot of other companies, including a tire sponsor that is a competitor of series sponsor Falken. When people get out and run their cars in high-profile events, they tend to end up with sponsors. When they do well in those events, they get even more sponsors. Danny Popp has won the OUSCI three times, but many of the people he beat were also sponsored to varying degrees, some far more than Danny.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries
www.instagram.com/optimabatteries
Old Dec 16, 2015, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Jim,

Will OUSCA be doing anything to up the safety? Its really getting to a scary point with some of these guys. High HP (like 600+ HP) rear wheel drive, street tires, and rookie drivers. I've hosted several track days a year and I cringe every time I see this combination.

I'm all for fast street cars, but there is a reason race cars look the way they do. some of it is for function, but part of it is safety.

PS. Bring the wings back. or at least raise the wing allowance to something semi functional. An evo stock wing is bigger than the allowed aftermarket wing.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The wing rules also favor the coupes. You can just make a rule that the wing must be no taller than the roof and no wider than the fenders or some variation of this rule.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 05:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Andy, Jimi handles all the rule changes but you can use a stock Evo wing or any other aero that came from the factory. That hasn't changed. nollij, you can also use aftermarket wings and spoilers, as long as they fall within the rules. I'm not an expert on aerodynamics, but I have friends in the industry I trust, who have forgotten more than most folks know about the subject and regularly test in wind tunnels and elsewhere. When I've talked to them about the aero restrictions in the series, both of them immediately asked if there were any restrictions underneath the car. When I said there wasn't, they both went on about how much can be done there and I know guys like you, Ken and others have already moved in that direction.

I think one of the reasons the rules haven't been posted yet, is because they are working on some safety-related changes. Safety is top of mind for the series and we don't just say it, we really try to make it a safe and enjoyable experience. That means driving instructors at every event, novice run groups with no passing and changes to courses to slow down the speeds when needed, like at Road America.

Racetracks and high speeds do have an inherent element of danger and you know as well as anyone, that folks who run in these events are going to get a lot of seat time. It's probably been a combination of our safety efforts, common sense by our drivers and some degree of luck, that the few incidents we've had over the years were as minor as they were and most happened with our most-experienced drivers who tend to push things more, not the new guys with high horsepower and low track time.

Jim McIlvaine
Old Dec 19, 2015, 10:25 AM

A little late to the party guys, but I've just only recently started following the OUSCI. Out of curiosity, would any of the Evo drivers on the forum be willing to share (within reason) their current setups? A very rudimentary search didn't come up with anything.

I currently have a competitive ASP Evo 8 that I retired from SCCA National Solo events but I'm tempting to bring it out for some different types of fun. Just wondering how much more would I have to do. Fully aware that the top cars are exceptionally well built and well driven, but if an ASP car could be reasonably competitive with only some minor upgrades then I may participate in an east coast event. (Probably not NJMP in May... too soon).

Thanks,
Justin
Old Dec 20, 2015, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Vikingmoose
A little late to the party guys, but I've just only recently started following the OUSCI. Out of curiosity, would any of the Evo drivers on the forum be willing to share (within reason) their current setups? A very rudimentary search didn't come up with anything.

I currently have a competitive ASP Evo 8 that I retired from SCCA National Solo events but I'm tempting to bring it out for some different types of fun. Just wondering how much more would I have to do. Fully aware that the top cars are exceptionally well built and well driven, but if an ASP car could be reasonably competitive with only some minor upgrades then I may participate in an east coast event. (Probably not NJMP in May... too soon).

Thanks,
Justin
My car is less prepped than an ASP car.

stock turbo on e85. makes a little over 400whp.
Whiteline RCK, PSRS, plus some other whiteline bushings.
Tein SRC coilovers.
12plate rear diff
275 RE71's

car weighs about 3100 without driver.

The RS Evo's are nothing but basic builds with just the right parts.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 08:12 AM

Thanks for sharing. That's interesting. I wasn't too worried about suspension/handling since I think I've got that pretty well sorted. My biggest fear was that it was an arms race between whoever made the most power.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Vikingmoose
Thanks for sharing. That's interesting. I wasn't too worried about suspension/handling since I think I've got that pretty well sorted. My biggest fear was that it was an arms race between whoever made the most power.
Our strategy was to win on Saturday (Autocross and Speed Stop) and then try to be very close on the road course. For an Evo to WIN the road course, you'll need about 500+ hp and some good driving.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
I'm kind of confused as to how the road course part works. I'm looking at the rules here:
http://driveusca.com/wp-content/uplo...2015_final.pdf
● Run group A - Expert – Guidelines - have attended and graduated an advanced course
at an accredited driving school, 10-12 track days per year, familiar with competitive track
flags, etiquette, rules and “racing line”, may have a sanctioned competitive license,
and/or competed in wheel-to-wheel racing events
● Passing will be allowed in designated areas – specific event/track rules will apply
and be communicated during event specific drivers meeting
● Safety Equipment required for Run Group A
○ Helmet – SA2010
○ Neck restraint – Hans style, or SFI certified neck collar
○ Properly mounted 5 point harness or better
○ SFI 3.2A/1 rated single layer fire suit or better
○ Nomex fire retardant gloves
○ Full coverage leather shoes
○ All entrants in the expert class must have tires with a
manufacturer date within five (5) years of the date of the OSUSC event
Copyright© 2013 - 2015 by the Ultimate Street Car Association, LLC.
being entered. Here’s how to check the date:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11
● Run group B - Intermediate – Guidelines - may have recently attended or graduated a
basic course at an accredited driving school, 3-4 track days per year, familiar with basic
track flags, etiquette, rules and “racing line”, multiple sessions with certified performance
driving instructor
● Passing may be allowed via point-by only on designated portions of track –
specific event/track rules will apply and be communicated during event specific drivers
meeting
● Safety Equipment required for Run Group B
○ Helmet – SA2010
○ Minimum - factory or better 3 point safety belts
○ SFI 3.2A/1 rated single layer fire suit or better
○ Nomex fire retardant gloves
○ All entrants in the intermediate class must have tires with a
manufacturer date within five (5) years of the date of the OSUSC event
being entered. Here’s how to check the date:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11
● Run group C - Novice – Guidelines - minimal performance driving instruction, less than
3 track days annually, driving only for fun & education, desires more instruction to be
able to understand and enjoy performance driving
● Lead/follow laps only - passing will not be allowed on any portion of the track –
individual event/track rules will apply and will be communicated during event specific
drivers meeting. This is a non-competitive run group with limited and monitored speed.
● Safety Equipment required for Run Group C
○ Helmet – SA2010
○ Minimum - factory or better 3 point safety belts
○ Cotton or fire retardant long sleeves
○ Cotton or fire retardant long pants
○ Fire retardant or leather gloves
So unless you have fire suit, you have to run novice - right?

Are all these groups competing for the same lap times? How does that work in novice with no passing?

Unrelated - thanks to Jim for getting on here and answering questions - and thanks for bringing something closer to the East Coast population centers
Old Dec 20, 2015, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
I'm kind of confused as to how the road course part works. I'm looking at the rules here:
http://driveusca.com/wp-content/uplo...2015_final.pdf

So unless you have fire suit, you have to run novice - right?

Are all these groups competing for the same lap times? How does that work in novice with no passing?

Unrelated - thanks to Jim for getting on here and answering questions - and thanks for bringing something closer to the East Coast population centers
you'll want to just buy a race suit and get into the intermediate or expert run group. If you have some good experience with autocross and track days, you should probably be running with intermediate anyways.

They do typically send you out based on lap times. well except for their Road America event, which got a bit scary at times.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 11:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Butt Dyno, the run groups can be a challenge, because we want to make sure cars of similar times are on the track together. That keeps fast people from running up on slow people, etc... There are lots of ways this doesn't work out as ideally-planned- an overabundance of really fast cars, an overabundance of really slow cars, really fast cars that don't have proper safety equipment and can't run in faster run groups, fast cars with inexperienced drivers, really experienced drivers in slower cars who want to be able to pass, tracks that suit great-handling cars in some areas and high horsepower cars in others, etc...

Novice cars aren't going to be super-competitive on the road course anyway and most are out there to gain more experience and have fun. They will try to stage the faster cars in each run group at the front of the group, so they have more clear and open track to run before they encounter lapped traffic. Depending on the track conditions, a lot of folks will only lay down two to three laps at a time, before their tires start to go away on them and they need to cool down a bit...which is yet another way things can get hairy on the track.

Jim McIlvaine
Old Dec 21, 2015, 06:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EVOizmm
you'll want to just buy a race suit and get into the intermediate or expert run group. If you have some good experience with autocross and track days, you should probably be running with intermediate anyways.

They do typically send you out based on lap times. well except for their Road America event, which got a bit scary at times.
I've been autocrossing for 13 years, but haven't done a track day since 2006. And even a lowly STU car is going to have a lot of speed at the end of a straight.. just trying to figure out beyond pads/fluid and some minor suspension tweaks what I'd really need.

So do they send everyone out in their groups, and then re-shuffle the order as the different sessions go through? So if you have a good time in session 1, you'll leave near the beginning of session 2?

Originally Posted by OptimaJim
Butt Dyno, the run groups can be a challenge, because we want to make sure cars of similar times are on the track together. That keeps fast people from running up on slow people, etc... There are lots of ways this doesn't work out as ideally-planned- an overabundance of really fast cars, an overabundance of really slow cars, really fast cars that don't have proper safety equipment and can't run in faster run groups, fast cars with inexperienced drivers, really experienced drivers in slower cars who want to be able to pass, tracks that suit great-handling cars in some areas and high horsepower cars in others, etc...

Novice cars aren't going to be super-competitive on the road course anyway and most are out there to gain more experience and have fun. They will try to stage the faster cars in each run group at the front of the group, so they have more clear and open track to run before they encounter lapped traffic. Depending on the track conditions, a lot of folks will only lay down two to three laps at a time, before their tires start to go away on them and they need to cool down a bit...which is yet another way things can get hairy on the track.
Got it. I went looking at some of the 2015 results to get a feel for things and I can see how there is some serious spread from the top to the bottom of GTL (i.e. https://clubregistration.net/clients...EventType=Road). Makes sense.

Which track at NJMP would the road course be? http://www.njmp.com/info-services/
Old Dec 28, 2015, 07:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Just signed up as a one-day'er for NJMP. I figure if I like it, I'll get it track ready for '17.

My clutch just needs to survive the DC Prosolo.

Quick Reply: 2017 / 2018 Optima Ultimate Street Car Invitational