Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Big wing vs. Stock spoiler vs. no spoiler

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2015, 05:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Big wing vs. Stock spoiler vs. no spoiler

Good morning guys.

My car is currently undergoing some maintenance and upgrades in the hopes of moving forward yet again in 2016 with some big track racing. The question came to the forefront of wings and it was somewhat of a debate and ended in a nonplus.

I would appreciate some input and then to take it a step further is there a option to enhance the setup.

- I currently have a stock 8 spoiler with two gurney flaps (1 on the blade and 1 on the decklid) there has been an improvement in stability at higher speeds. But no verifiable significant increase in downforce.

- To go with a bigger wing
-- Chassis mount it?
-- Decklid mount it?
-- Crossbracing?

Please lets keep it constructive and progressive guys looking forward to hearing what your opinions are.

J
Old Dec 7, 2015, 06:23 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Since you are testing the waters of tracking I would just suggest the normal wing progression

Start w/a simple APR GTC-200 trunk mount w/the riser kit & some light front splitter aero & give that a try

Whatever you do to the rear will affect the front so dont go big unless you are doing both ends

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Dec 7, 2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Since you are testing the waters of tracking I would just suggest the normal wing progression

Start w/a simple APR GTC-200 trunk mount w/the riser kit & some light front splitter aero & give that a try

Whatever you do to the rear will affect the front so dont go big unless you are doing both ends
I have always used the stock aero with small tricks and yes there are some shortcomings to I am looking at taking it up a notch since im looking at a bigger venue.

Its a little intimidating competition so im trying to see where I can keep my minimalist posture while keeping competitive maybe even a slight advantage.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 05:22 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
If you want to see what I did to my stock 9 wing at the track, at speed, see this post

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...lated-fyi.html
Old Dec 8, 2015, 04:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Ralliart004
Good morning guys.

My car is currently undergoing some maintenance and upgrades in the hopes of moving forward yet again in 2016 with some big track racing.
Are you prepping for a specific class?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 05:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
Are you prepping for a specific class?
Im considering moving the car back to the Caribbean which is honestly a little more wild west style racing with basically open class time attack rules limited by tires and weight vs cc/fi.

If I keep it here there may be an issue with some of the modifications already
Old Dec 8, 2015, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by ralliart004
im considering moving the car back to the caribbean which is honestly a little more wild west style racing with basically open class time attack rules limited by tires and weight vs cc/fi.

If i keep it here there may be an issue with some of the modifications already
cmrc?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by codgi
cmrc?

Not just CMRC but most of the individual island classes as well... you know the competition is tough and im not trying to be in those big name top tier races.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Ralliart004
Not just CMRC but most of the individual island classes as well... you know the competition is tough and im not trying to be in those big name top tier races.
Agreed. CMRC is hyper competitive and expensive to get anywhere near the front of the grid now.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by codgi
Agreed. CMRC is hyper competitive and expensive to get anywhere near the front of the grid now.

We both agree that we and most people don't have the kind of money to throw that most of those big name guys throw overall much less each race.

We all must start somewhere so maybe a very unassuming stock looking evo 8 with lots of work can surprise enough people to get some positions moving up.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
trunk mount wings have worked fine for me, i've hit speed of 150 mph. i went from APR GT200 to Aeromotion. if you're going to turn your car into and all out track and don't care about quick access to the truck, then do chassis mount.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
If you want to see what I did to my stock 9 wing at the track, at speed, see this post

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...lated-fyi.html
that reminds me... need to find a wicked white evo 8 rear wing.. rarest of the rare
Old Dec 16, 2015, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by honda-guy
trunk mount wings have worked fine for me, i've hit speed of 150 mph. i went from APR GT200 to Aeromotion. if you're going to turn your car into and all out track and don't care about quick access to the truck, then do chassis mount.
Ciro racing has a hybrid mount that uses the stock trunk holes, but has a provision to use a hood-pin to secure the mount to the fender trunk rain gutter. Most don't realize that the front of area of the wing mounts actually pulls up, from wing drag. A single element wing works fine using this method.

Rick