Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Anyone mount/balance own tires?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2016, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Mount anything you want. I've also had to mount some of those cool stance type tires....

Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
off topic: did my fist ice racing event this year. im hooked. going to get DOT studded tires for this winter.
Old May 11, 2017, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Bumping this back up as last week I picked up a Hunter TC3250 and a DSP9000 balancer, wahoo! However, clearly I have a lot to learn as last night didnt go so well if Im being honest. The dismount was simple no issues there whatsoever but when it went to remounting the tire my buddy and I failed.

Clearly, given the lack of experience I don't know the proper technique so figured I would post in here hoping to gather some advice. The challenge we are having is keeping the tire pushed down into the drop center so when it gets to the last 1/4 of the tire it wont go down. Of course when i watch a couple videos on youtube they make it look effortless knowing proper technique is key but still those tires are marshmallows compared to the rocks Im dealing with...

So I see a couple mentions of using 2 tire irons. I just purchased a 2nd iron which probably wont be here for a few days but the other thing that was just delivered this morning was some bead clamps
http://www.ebay.com/itm/162451310841...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

When I get home from work Ill be trying it again hoping those clamps make a difference but Im thinking the 2nd tire iron might be what is needed.

Any feedback/ advice that you guys would be extremely helpful! If you could walk me through how you take advantage of the 2 irons or link a video that would be helpful. Also, feel free to come to my house and show me. I'll provide food drinks and entertainment.
Old May 11, 2017, 09:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Put the bar under the bead lip about 90* ahead of the duck head, pry down ward. then push the peadl so the table start turning. Once the bar is opposite the duckhead, you'll need you right hand or another bar and push down on the tire at the duck head. You'll kind of lift yourself up pushing down on the tire. I could show you in person, but not sure how it translates over text...lol. And there's no video's of how to do it because modern tire machines with robo-arms make it so you don't have to..

You can see in this video how the tech uses the robo arms. You don't have robo-arms, so you need to use your arms and a tire iron. And be a man about it lol
Old May 11, 2017, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

That video makes it look effortless however thats with two assist arms that disc thingy and the bead pusher thing.

So I like your instructions and you did a pretty good job of describing it. Of course showing is far easier than explaining but we gotta make do with what communication we have. As mentioned I order another tire iron this morning but if I can get away with basic pry bars then I have plenty of those so I can give it a shot.

So Im following along for the most part until you mention prying at the duck head. Im assuming you mean right past the duck head such that it keeps the tire below the right side of it? Basically I can get about halfway and then it gets to a point where the tire wants to pop up. Assuming I position the iron and pry downward it should in theory keep it down enough and stop the tire from physically slipping upward as well as keeping the tire moving with the wheel. essentially when I get to that point the wheel will spin but the tire will remain in the same spot.

This shouldnt be that difficult and I know once I get the hang of it it wont be. But being the tire mounting newb I am Im going off of a couple youtube videos where either they are mounting 65 series sidewall or the machine is more advanced and has multiple assist arms that do all the heavy lifting.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:14 AM
EvoM Guru

You have to use tire irons. The polished edges let the tire slide on them easily. Pry bars don't work.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Darn! Do you have any experience with those bead clamps I linked above? They are currently sitting in my mailbox so I was planning on giving those a shot tonight. I dont know when my other tire iron will be arriving and would like to get these done so its one less thing I need to worry about, lol!
Old May 11, 2017, 11:00 AM
EvoM Guru

No. But if you have one tire iron, you should be able to get a 40 series tire on no problem. I only ever had to use two if it was a really low profile tire.
Old May 11, 2017, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Lol, yeah but the thing is that you're good at it and I have no clue what Im doing

The tire last night was for my buddies e36 and I wanna say it was only a 245/40-17 which I didnt think was going to suck so much. I wanna flip my 285/30 but quite frankly Im scared to dismount it right now given our extreme suckage last night.

I'll give it another shot tonight and hopefully we'll have better luck leveraging the tire iron, pun intended.

As they say practice makes perfect so maybe I'll pop the tire off my wrangler and work on the technique with that then move over to more low pro stiff sidewall tires.
Old May 11, 2017, 11:30 AM
EvoM Guru

The wrangler will be really easy. But it will show you the principles of it. Do the wrangle tire a few times, and go back to trying the 245/40

I would venture to say the 285/30 will take 2 bars to get on. That's a pretty short sidewall. Def not a good tire to learn on lol
Old May 11, 2017, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Ok muchas gracias! Thats the game plan for the night. Like I said I knew the 30 would be tough but we couldnt even do the 40 so you could say we were a little down on ourselves last night. Then we'd watch some youtube video and be like "are you kidding me that guy looks like a moron!" As it turns out we're the morons. I haven't received formal training on anything and learn by doing and of course asking questions so hopefully this will be the same. Thanks again bud!
Old May 11, 2017, 12:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Check out the dude with the pone tail in the red tank in this video. That is how you position a single tire iron to get that 40 series on. Except you'll use the duck head, not two other dudes with bars. Stick the bar under the bead lip (NOT the drop center), and pry down. You may need to use your hand by the duck head to keep the tire under the duck head. The bar stays in place, you just hold it downward and let it travel around with the wheel.

Old May 11, 2017, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

All sounds easy but I guess there is some sort of learning curve. Hopefully I have good news to report back tonight. Also good to know that you pry under the lip not in the drop center. I wasnt sure about that I can see it being significantly harder, maybe impossible to have it down in the drop center. While it would yield more leverage if youre unable to actually pry from there then its a moot point.

I tried briefly using the tire iron but between holding the iron in the left hand and trying to keep the tire under the duckhead with my right hand I felt extremely awkward so I need to get a feel for it. Also, my machine table spins wicked fast as in maybe too fast for me at the moment so I may turn down the reg some and see if that slows it down granted upon 2nd thought the machine has a tank so turning down the reg might not even have any impact on speed of the table.

Leverage leverage leverage. I will not give up. If other people can do it then no reason I can't do it too! Thanks for the hand holding!
Old May 11, 2017, 02:38 PM
EvoM Guru

There is a learning curve. Last year at SEMA, a company was demo'ing their dual robo-arm setup on a 305/25/21 or some **** on a 3pc wheel. The guy randomnly picked me out of the crowd to try mounting it. I walked over to their other machine and stole the bar from it, and proceeded to mount the tire with two tire irons and the duck head, no robo-arms. Guy was dumbfounded...
Old May 12, 2017, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Lol, serves him right. He would have been much better served picking me out of the croud. Then he'd be like "wow check out our amazing machine even Eric can mount a tire with it!"

So meanwhile the clamps showed up yesterday so figured we'd give them a shot before trying the pry bar method. My 2nd bar won't be here until Monday anyway. But low and behold clamps worked mint on these 245/40s. Literally simple. I can see how once you get good at it a tire iron would be quicker but what difference does 5 minutes make to me as Im not a flat rate mechanic.

Now the question is do I attempt my 285's with just the clamps or wait until I get the 2nd iron, lol? The nice thing with the clamps was that it was effortless and no chance of gouging up the rim so I appreciated that. I would like to learn the technique with the irons that you described but the good news is for now I at least have a way to get them on there with no fuss so the rest will come in time.
Name:  20170511_212725_zpsyb5vzut4.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  247.5 KB

Quick Reply: Anyone mount/balance own tires?