Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Anyone mount/balance own tires?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2016, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone mount/balance own tires?

So for us track fiends, changing tires 1-3 times a season is the norm. Out here in Las Vegas every shop charges 20-25$ a tire. This is obviously getting costly. The idea of adding 80-100$ to do a set of tires just bothers me. Considering it's about 20-30 minutes of the shops labor. Was thinking about buying the equipment my self(maybe splitting it with 3-4 people) to see if it's worth it in the long run. I also see some manual changers(harbor freight) that are cheap but watched some videos and didn't like it at all. Anyone find the best cheapest way of handling this issue? Or should I stop complaining and just pony up the doe
Old Jan 16, 2016, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by amn_suazo
So for us track fiends, changing tires 1-3 times a season is the norm. Out here in Las Vegas every shop charges 20-25$ a tire. This is obviously getting costly. The idea of adding 80-100$ to do a set of tires just bothers me. Considering it's about 20-30 minutes of the shops labor. Was thinking about buying the equipment my self(maybe splitting it with 3-4 people) to see if it's worth it in the long run. I also see some manual changers(harbor freight) that are cheap but watched some videos and didn't like it at all. Anyone find the best cheapest way of handling this issue? Or should I stop complaining and just pony up the doe
Our local NASA regional director purchased some equipment and brings it to the events. Charges $5, definitely better than $25 a tire. You could get one and do the same thing. Make a little money on the side.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by e_kobz
Our local NASA regional director purchased some equipment and brings it to the events. Charges $5, definitely better than $25 a tire. You could get one and do the same thing. Make a little money on the side.
Awesome idea. I'll bring it up at one of the meetings.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
I bought my own. its paid for itself about 10X now. I picked up an older FMC changer and Coats balancer from a shop that was upgrading.

You can buy some of the cheaper tire changers out there for $1500 new. it wont take long for it to pay for itself.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 03:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I remember when I was a kid jumping on tyres for my old man trying to break the seal, he used to have a collection of big levers and changed his own tyres, I wonder If you did that to a modern tyre would it take the stretching with a 3 foot lever to get it on a rim lol
Old Jan 18, 2016, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have considered this many times. With 4 cars, 3 with winter and summer tires and autocrossing the Evo, the pay back is not bad. ~$100 per tire change and a about $2000 for the equipment = 20 tire changes. Probably about 5 years for me on my own, but I could also charge people to use it.

Problem I have is where to put it haha.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

once you get a tire changer, people will find you and you'll be changing tires daily.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOizmm
I bought my own. its paid for itself about 10X now. I picked up an older FMC changer and Coats balancer from a shop that was upgrading.

You can buy some of the cheaper tire changers out there for $1500 new. it wont take long for it to pay for itself.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. There is about 75 local autocross guys that don't miss an event. No one would go anywhere else if they are getting it for 30-40$ cheaper. May have to pull the trigger. One worry is to get something of poor quality and costly at the end
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PAdutch
I have considered this many times. With 4 cars, 3 with winter and summer tires and autocrossing the Evo, the pay back is not bad. ~$100 per tire change and a about $2000 for the equipment = 20 tire changes. Probably about 5 years for me on my own, but I could also charge people to use it.

Problem I have is where to put it haha.
After charging people, 5 years might be 2 years. I actually have a good spot on my patio. Would just cover them when not in use
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Changers are cheap. Balancers are whats expensive. And I would be weary of buying a used balancer, when parts in them fail, it can get expensive real quick. A decent basic changer from coats with a nylon duck head is all you need for the changer. Find one used for <$2k...

I'm glad I know guys at discount tire from when I worked there. Good tire equipment is expensive...lol

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Jan 18, 2016 at 12:00 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good advice on the balancer, since we are on the topic...

I'm not really familiar with tire changers/balancers.
Is there certain features that are a must?
What's the difference between the expensive ones and the cheap ones (other than quality)?
Any advice would be awesome.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by PAdutch
Good advice on the balancer, since we are on the topic...

I'm not really familiar with tire changers/balancers.
Is there certain features that are a must?
What's the difference between the expensive ones and the cheap ones (other than quality)?
Any advice would be awesome.
Quality and ease of use. I worked at Discount Tire for 2 years, the coats changers they have are fast and very easy to use. I worked at few other shops after that had other changers and they just sucks. The duck heads didn't work well, the table spun to slowly, the duck head arm was stiff and hard to move, and the pedals weren't very responsive (especially important for controlling the bead breaker and rim clamp). Just sucked to use them. It's definitely worth it to buy a good machine.

But, I'm used to being able to fully install (unbolt, changem air, balance, bolt on, torque) 4 tires on a car with 16"steelies in 15 minutes by myself. So it bugs me when I'm using use a crappy changer lol.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

honestly even a simple bubble balancer will be good enough.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
when i started to run hoosier, i needed to flip them after two events or the outer edge would cord. that got expensive really quick, since it was like 10 times a years. so i got a used changer for less than $1k. it paid for itself the after the first year. i wanted to get a balancer also, but i dont have enough room in my garage to keep two big machine. so i figure id try harbor freight bubble balancer first and see how it works. it works pretty well, obviously not perfect like a true balancer. but good enough to drive on track. even if you have perfectly balanced wheel, you'll end up with a ball of tire worms at the end of the day inside the wheels to throw off the balance anyways.

as for autox, most people i know who only autox dont even bother to balance if they don't use the tires on street.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by honda-guy
when i started to run hoosier, i needed to flip them after two events or the outer edge would cord. that got expensive really quick, since it was like 10 times a years. so i got a used changer for less than $1k. it paid for itself the after the first year. i wanted to get a balancer also, but i dont have enough room in my garage to keep two big machine. so i figure id try harbor freight bubble balancer first and see how it works. it works pretty well, obviously not perfect like a true balancer. but good enough to drive on track. even if you have perfectly balanced wheel, you'll end up with a ball of tire worms at the end of the day inside the wheels to throw off the balance anyways.

as for autox, most people i know who only autox dont even bother to balance if they don't use the tires on street.
Well the rubber beads and the fact that the tire is migrating around the wheel will throw the balance off. Some question the value in balancing a slick/DOT slick. If you are going to balance, then you will need to do it regularly with grippy tires.

Quick Reply: Anyone mount/balance own tires?