Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Anyone want some Aero work by Andrew Brilliant?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2016, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Anyone want some Aero work by Andrew Brilliant?

Hi all,

I'm in the planning stages of having aerodynamicist Andrew Brilliant come to the US in July to do some aero work on my Evo. Is anyone interested in booking some time with him while he's here to cut down costs? I was thinking if I could find a couple others who need some work done it would save $$ for all involved.

Pm or email me if you're interested.

Jarrod
Jhoops76@yahoo.com
Old May 18, 2016, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Not sure those of us are near your area for individual tasks. Wouldn't it be better to build a "package" that we could all buy into? Everybody's got hodgepodge aero from whatever we have available to us/can afford so something balanced, real, and obtainable would be awesome. Even if it is just a few base parts to build on (splitter/diffuser/etc). Unless your thinking down the road of Joe's wtac designs....
Old May 18, 2016, 10:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
Not sure those of us are near your area for individual tasks. Wouldn't it be better to build a "package" that we could all buy into? Everybody's got hodgepodge aero from whatever we have available to us/can afford so something balanced, real, and obtainable would be awesome. Even if it is just a few base parts to build on (splitter/diffuser/etc). Unless your thinking down the road of Joe's wtac designs....
A wing/diffuser/splitter-bumper package would be cool. Not likely I could afford it though...lol
Old May 18, 2016, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Yeah I wish. Way out of my budget.
Old May 18, 2016, 11:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
Wing are easy, far easier to over aero the rear than it is to get anything decent up front. I bet a bunch of people would be interested in some proper Canards and splitter work (ok, splitter is easy but canards that work would be amazing).
Old May 18, 2016, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Not thinking full voltex stuff, more along the lines of a template to work off of. For example a front splitter. If you're using the OEM front bumper, it needs to be this shape, length, width, and these mounting points using simple methods, in order to balance a typical Voltex/Kog/APR wing located within this percentage location margin or draft data if you have it. Then if you have an OEM wing, you shorten it to this length and shape. If your strapped for cash you plywood or alumalite that sh*t, or if your baller like Joe you make your own Carbon version (or send it somewhere). BUUUT, you know you have the max capable design which is what we all really want rather then this guesswork/can I stand on it stuff.

Same concept for garnards, diff, etc. Real aero math we can duplicate handyman style rather then looking at pictures on the Enternetz .
Old May 18, 2016, 12:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Ah, I see what you mean. That would be cool too.
Old May 18, 2016, 02:37 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Interesting article on him:

http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/06/...erodynamics-2/
Old May 18, 2016, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
My gut tells me Jarrod is targeting more of the WTAC style stuff for his build...
Old May 18, 2016, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
mothers....

So what are you expecting J?
Old May 18, 2016, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
So the way Andrew works is he has "packages" that provide different services.

The basic T/A package is he checks out your car in person and discusses your desired result and budget and leaves you with designs or drawings of what to build to achieve that (based on his aero knowledge and experience). He also talks with your parts manufacturer, driver, etc to give everyone information on building parts for or driving an aero car. With this he claims you'll see 3 to 5 second improvements in lap time average.

The next level T/A package includes all of that plus laser scanning the car and 3-d modeling and CFD designed custom front splitter/canards and side skirts. This is the package that yielded NEMO Evo. This is what I am planning on going with. He claims 5-8 seconds per lap improvement.

The big-dog T/A package includes all that plus CFD front bumper, front and rear fenders, front hood, cooling system, rear wing. This is what's on Suzuki Under's Scorch Racing S15. (8 seconds plus per lap improvement)

Of course once he gives you the design you still need to build it or have it built. But he says he's gotten very good at making things easy to build out of budget materials for budget conscious teams.

A major part of his work is the on-site visit and one on one discussions with you and/or your shop. I have access via a fiend to a 3-d laser scanner so I thought I could save some $$ by scanning the car ourselves and sending him the data so I would not have to pay him for that time and for his travel and lodging to come to the US. After talking with him for several hours, I've decided the personal time working directly with us on my specific car will be work the extra expense. However - if we can get multiple cars for him to work on while he is in the US that travel expense can be spread out amongst all involved to save some $$. It's the flight from Japan to USA that is expensive. Even if he does one job in Texas and one in MI - it's still going to save some $$ vs each person flying him here separately at different times.

When you look at the cost vs the anticipated yield - it actually becomes a very good investment. Where else can you gain 0.5 to 1.5 seconds per lap per thousand dollars spent?
Old May 19, 2016, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
So the way Andrew works is he has "packages" that provide different services.

The basic T/A package is he checks out your car in person and discusses your desired result and budget and leaves you with designs or drawings of what to build to achieve that (based on his aero knowledge and experience). He also talks with your parts manufacturer, driver, etc to give everyone information on building parts for or driving an aero car. With this he claims you'll see 3 to 5 second improvements in lap time average.
3-5 seconds???
Old May 19, 2016, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
that's awesome. Evo is a brick, it could use all the aero help it can get.
Old May 19, 2016, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Granted, but wouldn't we be left with a 30-40k design? I'm curious how it's gonna get made let alone affordable? It'd be interesting to see what just a 3 second package looked like. We know he already has CT9A scans, so it's not like we should have to redo that (specifically). The A standard bumpers are OEM, Voltex, or Cwest which i'm sure he also has. In my specific case bumping doors or going into the liter is always a chance so watching one fender, $5k, and 3 months of labor go poof is not all that attractive. What is is the standard front/rear designs to see how much we can improve for the least amount of $ and EASILY replaceable. Level 2 being the side air T/A stuff. Because as some of you know bonding panels is not something you want to do twice let alone once .
Old May 19, 2016, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Once you're getting Andrew Brilliant involved I imagine the term "affordable" goes out the window. I'm sure major composites shops like DHP, Dauntless, etc can make for you whatever he designs.
The following users liked this post:
jonwtf416 (Oct 16, 2016)

Quick Reply: Anyone want some Aero work by Andrew Brilliant?