Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evo X front brake swap for Evo 8/9

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 09:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Also, the larger rotor (increased brake torque) makes it easier to threshold brake.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by honda-guy
why wouldn't a larger diameter rotor increase braking force? you are increasing the torque arm lenght, like putting an extension pipe on ratchet to increase torque.
That's what I meant when I said larger disc size. Poor word choice, should've said rotor size.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
Edit...
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
according to the builder it is brake caliper assembly lube from racing brake.
What? I thought the only lube to be used internal to brakes is brake fluid...
Is there a good grease available that works between the piston and bore? If so, what would it be? Can it handle track use w/o poisoning the fluid?
Reduction of piston seal friction and associated pad drag seems like a low hanging fruit for performance gains.

FWIW, there is no difference in pedal feel with the Racing Brake SS pistons.

+1 for the Motive power bleeder. The only issue I have is the damn cap is a PITA to get on and off the reservoir. I get the best bleed results by pushing the pistons all the way down the bore before starting. This consistently produces a firm pedal.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'll be installing the Mach V rotor rings and some fresh DTC70 pads this weekend.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Nimpoc
What? I thought the only lube to be used internal to brakes is brake fluid...
Is there a good grease available that works between the piston and bore? If so, what would it be? Can it handle track use w/o poisoning the fluid?
Reduction of piston seal friction and associated pad drag seems like a low hanging fruit for performance gains.

FWIW, there is no difference in pedal feel with the Racing Brake SS pistons.

+1 for the Motive power bleeder. The only issue I have is the damn cap is a PITA to get on and off the reservoir. I get the best bleed results by pushing the pistons all the way down the bore before starting. This consistently produces a firm pedal.
yea i dunno.

i also have the motive power bleeder, with the aluminum cap. it is a huge pita to get on and off as you've said. regardless i'll give it a go next to flush the remainder of the front calipers. what do you mean by pushing the pistons all the way down the bore before starting?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by King Tut
I'll be installing the Mach V rotor rings and some fresh DTC70 pads this weekend.
post some pics of the mach V rotor rings for evo X
Old Mar 15, 2018, 09:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
what do you mean by pushing the pistons all the way down the bore before starting?
He means push the pistons all the way into the caliper (opposite direction the brake pedal pushes them) to get as much fluid as possible out of the piston bore before bleeding.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by terror rising
He means push the pistons all the way into the caliper (opposite direction the brake pedal pushes them) to get as much fluid as possible out of the piston bore before bleeding.

ahh makes sense. not a bad idea, though my calipers are freshly rebuilt so they start all the way back anyway & the pads are nearly new so not much has gone in at all. but may try if they're still soft-ish after the 3rd bleed
Old Mar 22, 2018, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

FYI the brakes felt great at my autox. way less effort to brake & engage ABS. also less vague, and legitimately did stop better. there've been times i've gotten on the 9 brakes and felt like the car didn't want to stop. very happy with these.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 02:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
That's good news knowing that the difference can be felt. I'm currently in the process of changing out my fronts to X brakes.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just got myself a used set of Evo X brakes off Ebay I plan to change out at the end of this season. Where do you guys send your brakes to be rebuilt?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
I just got myself a used set of Evo X brakes off Ebay I plan to change out at the end of this season. Where do you guys send your brakes to be rebuilt?
i sent mine to detective coating. i had racing brake send detective coating their stainless steel pistons & high temp seals, and had detective coating powder coat and rebuild
Old Mar 23, 2018, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
if you dont care about the paint, you can just rebuild yourself. there's not much to do. pop out the pistons and seals, put in new seals and push the pistons back in.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by honda-guy
if you dont care about the paint, you can just rebuild yourself. there's not much to do. pop out the pistons and seals, put in new seals and push the pistons back in.
Air compressor w/ blow gun in the bleeder screw will do this very quick. Put a piece of ply-wood in-between the pistons to keep them from chipping/exploding everywhere.

Quick Reply: Evo X front brake swap for Evo 8/9