Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evo X front brake swap for Evo 8/9

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2018, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
As a long time SCCA member, I think the SCCA has gotten several things wrong. I would say, limit cars all the way to SM on 200 TW tires and watch the participation improve. A lot of new folk come to the SCCA auto-x events on street tires only to see their tiny mods throw them into *SP, SM* or higher. We have a local series in Colorado run by the PPIR track called the Time Attack series that is exploding in popularity. They do their classing by power to weight and street tires with width limits. That series almost gets almost twice the number of people. The times are pretty close amongst the top drivers in the class regardless of mods.

If the SCCA ever redoes the rules they should just allow the following mods in all classes starting from Street.
1. Larger than stock oil pan.
2. Larger than stock radiator.
3. Oil coolers.
4. Larger and heavier than stock brakes.
5. Brake cooling kits.
6. Camber bolts and plates (the outside tire wear on most street cars is atrocious).

This really helps reliability and people that want to use their cars for dual duty auto-x and track.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 02:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
Id argue against at least the camber plates in street. These guys are really trying to keeping their car a proper daily street car which once you open that up you'll either have to run 3+ deg or lose.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
i want ss lines in street class, is that so atrocious lol

aside from that, i think improvements that improve the car without improving the performance should just be legal. but what do i know, i'm retiring the evo from autox thanks to those rules, i'm building an FS E92 M3 to keep things simple. Mini sold long ago.

quite a tangent from the original topic...
Old Jul 12, 2018, 04:26 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I think the original topic has been discussed to it's end. I wouldn't worry about it. 😁
I agree with the rules needing a tweak. As said, if you are all about AX and build your car for it, then maybe they are okay...
But for the normal person who likes to use their car in different disciplines, they are sunk. They will not be competitive without a purpose-built car.
still....it is what it is.
I did see someone get a complaint because she had a Toyota badge on her Scion.
​​​​I thought it was a joke. Was not lol
Old Jul 12, 2018, 04:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
I've heard that some of the 17" TE37s have good brake clearance. They would be at the top of my list to check for 355mm BBK fitment, but it would still be close.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 07:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I did see someone get a complaint because she had a Toyota badge on her Scion.
​​​​I thought it was a joke. Was not lol
You sure it wasnt a toyota badge on her Subaru? SCCA was in a tough place on a decision there between the twin that is what it is.. But they decided the TRD parts could only go on the Toyota/Scion and not the Subaru because it needs to be a factory option part (TRD package). Basically treated them as different cars on different line item.

The rules arent all my favorite, and lots of time you get buried cars to keep relics relevant. Thats why I stayed in SM so long, I can do so much that its rare when I cant use more creativity instead of complaining I cant have some low hanging fruit that may not be low hanging for everyone.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:08 AM
kaj

I thought it was an FRS, since everyone likes to make those Toyota, being that Scion is the same. Maybe she owns a BRZ.. that wouldn't seem to make as much sense, though. But maybe.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Id argue against at least the camber plates in street. These guys are really trying to keeping their car a proper daily street car which once you open that up you'll either have to run 3+ deg or lose.
One can easily run street and auto-x camber settings, just mark the camber plates and tie rods. Change the settings at the event, change back when done. The biggest complaint I get from all the Street competitors is horrible outside tire wear that causes faster tire wear and having to flip the tires at some point during the season. The heavier the car, the narrower the tire, the worse the outside edge wear and overall tire wear. Some of these competitors have begrudging moved to ST* classes just for the extra camber. They really didn't want all the extra ST mods on their car due to harshness. Just running close to the right amount of camber has a huge impact on tire wear even if the tire width stays the same. The difference is night and day.

As someone running close to 3 deg of -ve camber on his SSC FR-S, it really isn't that bad. On softer suspension the tram-lining can hardly be felt.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Does anyone have clearance measurements for the Evo X caliper? Specifically the radius from hub center to the farthest radial point on the caliper. Can be calculated by measuring clearance between the Evo X caliper and the inner diameter of your wheels, then measuring the inner diameter of your wheels at that exact point.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to the original poster! I just did the upgrade this weekend. I managed to pick up a pair of calipers off a FE Evo for under $300 US and I had a set of GiroDisc Rotors already from my X. Drilling out the knuckle was a B!tch. Evo 8 on the left, x on the right Evo 8 rotors 20.9 pounds 320mmx29.8mm Girodisc 17.5 pounds 350mmx32mm Best of all with the new calipers I no longer to run a bolt on spacer! With the Evo 8 caliper I required a 20 mm space. With the x calipers I only required a 5
Old Jul 16, 2018, 01:52 PM
kaj

Wow. That's a steal. I would have had to jump on those as well. Good find!
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm posting this here because I've gotten some useful information out of this thread for swapping Evo X front rotors/calipers onto an Evo 8/9. However, there isn't much information about doing the rear conversion other than that it cannot be easily done without a bracket of some sorts.

I was able to get some measurements for the hats and rotor thickness in case anyone is interested in doing this swap and is worried about their existing wheels fitting. Good news for you, they will fit. Here are the measurements:

Evo 8 - front hat offset 37mm
Evo X - front hat offset 37mm

Evo 8 - rear hat offset 30.3mm
Evo x - rear hat offset 30.9mm

Evo 8 - 22mm thick (girodisc)
Evo x - 22mm thick (girodisc)

Good luck!
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by leo_99

Thanks to the original poster! I just did the upgrade this weekend. I managed to pick up a pair of calipers off a FE Evo for under $300 US and I had a set of GiroDisc Rotors already from my X. Drilling out the knuckle was a B!tch. Evo 8 on the left, x on the right Evo 8 rotors 20.9 pounds 320mmx29.8mm Girodisc 17.5 pounds 350mmx32mm Best of all with the new calipers I no longer to run a bolt on spacer! With the Evo 8 caliper I required a 20 mm space. With the x calipers I only required a 5
damn - those are light rotors. the dba5000's i got for my swap were 22 lbs. guess when i wear these down i'll go with girodisc's 2 piece rotors
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
If anyone is able to do or has done the rear and has some information would be appreciated
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
It's well documented that the X rear caliper does not fit on the CT9a rear knuckle.

Quick Reply: Evo X front brake swap for Evo 8/9