Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evo X front brake swap for Evo 8/9

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2017, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ahh, nah, it's the barrel. Ya i guess some material can be shaved from the caliper, I did that way back in the day on my old DSM, but kinda scared to do that on a nice brembo caliper haha.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
so x calipers of course but have to use evo x rotors too right or 8-9 rotors work too? just want to make sure thanks
Old Sep 7, 2017, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Yes, you must use X rotors since the caliper is sitting further out.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
ok thought so thanks
Old Sep 7, 2017, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
i got a used set of evo x two piece rotors with my calipers and they have last 3 times as long as centric evo 9 rotors that i used to run. although i have moved down class this year and running less HP. but the larger brakes definitely reduce pad wear and rotor wear.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Hmm really? I was debating picking up a used set of the 2 piece on ebay.

Originally Posted by honda-guy
i got a used set of evo x two piece rotors with my calipers and they have last 3 times as long as centric evo 9 rotors that i used to run. although i have moved down class this year and running less HP. but the larger brakes definitely reduce pad wear and rotor wear.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
continuing to weigh this, but as i revamped nearly (actually i think literally) the entire brake system last year, i think i've got to give it a rest for a while. if i had thought about it a little more, i may have done it but i also run the oem wheels for my "daily" set.

i'm also running a low amount of horsepower, and i've got new front and rear calipers, both done up by racing brake with high temp seals & their stainless steel vented pistons, on DBA 5000s in the front and 4000s in the rear. i've got the air guides from whoever makes them that i haven't mounted yet. in other words, i'm hoping this serves me fine for the time being at least
Old Sep 13, 2017, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
continuing to weigh this, but as i revamped nearly (actually i think literally) the entire brake system last year, i think i've got to give it a rest for a while. if i had thought about it a little more, i may have done it but i also run the oem wheels for my "daily" set.

i'm also running a low amount of horsepower, and i've got new front and rear calipers, both done up by racing brake with high temp seals & their stainless steel vented pistons, on DBA 5000s in the front and 4000s in the rear. i've got the air guides from whoever makes them that i haven't mounted yet. in other words, i'm hoping this serves me fine for the time being at least
if youre looking for great braking go for it. we had giro rotors and good pads with the 9 setup which worked very well and this X setup blows it out of the water.

on the west loop at UMC last weekend we were going 125+ down the back straight out braking a light lotus on avons and gt4.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Meathooker
if youre looking for great braking go for it. we had giro rotors and good pads with the 9 setup which worked very well and this X setup blows it out of the water.

on the west loop at UMC last weekend we were going 125+ down the back straight out braking a light lotus on avons and gt4.
ughhhhh noooo..... maybe
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

what's the root cause for the differential here? though the calipers are a bit bigger, the pads are the same size, so does it mainly boil down to the bigger rotor? how much bigger are these rotors?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
what's the root cause for the differential here? though the calipers are a bit bigger, the pads are the same size, so does it mainly boil down to the bigger rotor? how much bigger are these rotors?
30mm iirc
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Meathooker
30mm iirc
got it - so 350mm?

front
320mm diameter
32mm thick (29.8mm min thickness)
43.5mm total height

rear
300mm diameter
22mm thick (20mm min thickness)
58mm total height

30mm must make a lot of difference. i wonder if we can fit 330mm rotors in the front.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Rotor is about an inch bigger in diameter. So you get same brake torque with less clamping force. Or, more brake torque with same clamping force. Larger rotor = larger heat sink, so your brakes run cooler. Also, a larger rotor makes it easier to modulate the brakes, making it easier to threshold brake without locking the tire.
The following users liked this post:
kyoo (Sep 13, 2017)
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

so it's more the rotor than the caliper, you'd say? obviously the fitment of the x caliper assists in that, but kind of curious here.

also, ugh, more theoretical questions. on my current setup i'm using titanium shims to work as a heat shield - but in theory, this should keep the heat away from the pistons and more on the pads & rotors. given my vented piston etc., maybe i shouldn't use the shims, let the heat come out more and let the pistons vent it.. or is it still better to use the ti shims?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Rotor is about an inch bigger in diameter. So you get same brake torque with less clamping force. Or, more brake torque with same clamping force. Larger rotor = larger heat sink, so your brakes run cooler. Also, a larger rotor makes it easier to modulate the brakes, making it easier to threshold brake without locking the tire.
^ yes. All of that.
Like I said. I wish this was the first mod I did when I started to track Evo. Everything in the brake system last longer, pads, rotors, fluid, piston seals. The only down side is 18" wheels and increased rotational mass but if you're going to do anything competitive, you need to run 18" for better tire selection anyways.

Quick Reply: Evo X front brake swap for Evo 8/9