Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Rear Window Vents

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2023, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Rear Window Vents

Do these help at all, or are they possibly even a hindrance? Thinking of autox and track where you're required to have front windows open, to have some ventilation in the rear. Does air catch inside from the front windows and make the rear act like a parachute? Not really right?
Old May 16, 2023, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

No thoughts?
Old May 16, 2023, 05:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
Does it feel like wind actually hits you when u have the windows down? I doubt it does much as i would assume it would be more the air being sucked out of the car rather than coming in. would really be more of an advantage to have those vents that go in the top of the rear windows to help suck warm air out on hot days. apart from that cant see much of an advantage

You guys have those rules where front windows need to be down so cant really see much advantage to ducting air in from the rear and pulling it to the front as we use for driver cooling.
Old May 18, 2023, 12:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 304 Likes on 122 Posts
Typically if you have a front left window slightly down, and a rear right window slightly down: the air will come in through the back window and out the front window.
The edge over the windscreen sides is low pressure. Which is why you often see weak FRP doors pull out (with the vacuum).
Old May 18, 2023, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RSMike
Typically if you have a front left window slightly down, and a rear right window slightly down: the air will come in through the back window and out the front window.
The edge over the windscreen sides is low pressure. Which is why you often see weak FRP doors pull out (with the vacuum).
interesting - so we don't really want these vents in the rear (unless it's a temp related thing, getting too hot in the car)?
Old May 22, 2023, 03:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
Theres not really any performance benefit i can think of. Just a temperature benefit. As Mike said air would suck out rather than blow in.
Old May 22, 2023, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
Do these help at all, or are they possibly even a hindrance? Thinking of autox and track where you're required to have front windows open, to have some ventilation in the rear. Does air catch inside from the front windows and make the rear act like a parachute? Not really right?
I don't think it will slow you down to very significant degree but there's definitely a lot of air turbulence. The audio on my go pro is near useless when I have to run front windows down. I don't have these vents though to try and see if it reduces it.
Old May 22, 2023, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Semi related but what about rain guards?
The rear ones look like they'd be pretty bad but do the front ones shield some of the air from pouring into the interior and causing more drag?
Old May 22, 2023, 10:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 382 Likes on 327 Posts
Originally Posted by deeman101
I don't think it will slow you down to very significant degree but there's definitely a lot of air turbulence. The audio on my go pro is near useless when I have to run front windows down. I don't have these vents though to try and see if it reduces it.
wire a mic to the rear bumper personally I hate those videos racers are posting on FB with too much wind noise. cant imagine "family and friends" even watching them lol
Old May 22, 2023, 10:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Turtletron
Semi related but what about rain guards?
The rear ones look like they'd be pretty bad but do the front ones shield some of the air from pouring into the interior and causing more drag?
i hate those things, not sure why its so popular. also the interior air is sucked out, not ramming in
Old May 22, 2023, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
i hate those things, not sure why its so popular. also the interior air is sucked out, not ramming in
What makes you hate them? Just curious theyre not that noticeable lol
Old May 22, 2023, 12:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by RallySport9
What makes you hate them? Just curious theyre not that noticeable lol
theyre like what "dads" would add to their cars, like curb feelers, fuzzy dice, hood wind deflectors lol. my astro van has those rain guard thingers
anyway i stick my head with a helmet on in there to turn off the engine so I think that will be a nuisance
Old May 22, 2023, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
theyre like what "dads" would add to their cars, like curb feelers, fuzzy dice, hood wind deflectors lol. my astro van has those rain guard thingers
anyway i stick my head with a helmet on in there to turn off the engine so I think that will be a nuisance
I definitely see that point. Like those useless hardware store add-ons "dads" put on their ford explorer haha. If they arent the genuine ones I hate them too. But the oem ones look pretty slick imo, has that all weather look, goes good with a set of ralliart mudflaps. I associate them more with UK spec evos. Helps with cabin pressure also & yea my head hits the thing every time I reach in the window.
The following users liked this post:
ViciousLSD (May 22, 2023)
Old May 22, 2023, 12:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by RallySport9
I definitely see that point. Like those useless hardware store add-ons "dads" put on their ford explorer haha. If they arent the genuine ones I hate them too. But the oem ones look pretty slick imo, has that all weather look, goes good with a set of ralliart mudflaps. I associate them more with UK spec evos. Helps with cabin pressure also & yea my head hits the thing every time I reach in the window.
its for japanese smokers. so they can smoke when its raining and to be able to flick the ash outside
Old May 23, 2023, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 113 Likes on 103 Posts
I can't find the article about the rear window vents I previously read, but it talked about their use paired with a roof scoop.

Quick Reply: Rear Window Vents