Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Perrin PSRS Help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2016, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Perrin PSRS Help

Got my front suspension off the Evo for some maintenance and my PSRS/Offset on one side has developed some slop in the ball joint. Contacted Perrin about getting a source for a replacement ball (looks to be a pressed in unit) and they said they couldn't help. Discontinued product and all that.

So any of you guys repaired a PSRS? I'm sure the ball assy is something they just purchased.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 11:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Supposedly, from what I've read on here...The part is the same on the STI's. The only difference between the kits is the spacers used, and you already have spacers so you should just be able to order the STI piece.

Or, are you able to press the bearing out? Most bearings will have a part number. So if you can press it out, you should be able to source it.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
^+1 I can't remember off the top of my head but I feel like there was a circlip or some sort of retaining ring on the bottom. If thats the case then pop that out and press out the spherical and you should be able to find a replacement. If there is no clip its still pressed in not like the part was molded around the spherical.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Whiteline KCA400M

Needs a little spacer on top/bottom and they fit perfect.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

What's the difference from the WL and the Perrin? I have the Perrin myself and thought back in the bad that the WL was poly or didn't add as much caster or something along those lines? Just always thought the PSRS was more hardcore
Old Jul 6, 2016, 12:22 PM
EvoM Guru

The WL part doesn't add as much caster.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Supposedly, from what I've read on here...The part is the same on the STI's. The only difference between the kits is the spacers used, and you already have spacers so you should just be able to order the STI piece.

Or, are you able to press the bearing out? Most bearings will have a part number. So if you can press it out, you should be able to source it.
Originally Posted by heel2toe
^+1 I can't remember off the top of my head but I feel like there was a circlip or some sort of retaining ring on the bottom. If thats the case then pop that out and press out the spherical and you should be able to find a replacement. If there is no clip its still pressed in not like the part was molded around the spherical.
Yes it has a little circlip, and I will be bringing it to work to press it out, hoping it has some mfg info on it. Didn't know if anyone had already been down this road.

Originally Posted by EVOizmm
Whiteline KCA400M

Was just on Whiteline's site and this part has disappeared from their catalog.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The WL part doesn't add as much caster.
Ahh well eff that noise!
Originally Posted by JDavenport
Yes it has a little circlip, and I will be bringing it to work to press it out, hoping it has some mfg info on it. Didn't know if anyone had already been down this road.
Do it up! If you're lucky you'll find a part number and if not get a caliper out and get a measurement for ID OD Ball and Race and you should be able to find a suitable replacement.

Also, what happens if you call back Perrin and say you need a new spherical for your STI? Will they sell you one then or are you limited to picking up an entire new bushing?
Old Jul 6, 2016, 12:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts

Was just on Whiteline's site and this part has disappeared from their catalog.
http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_...number=kca400m

Whiteline KCA400M

I just installed these, no spacers supplied or mentioned in install doc.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
the whiteline looks nicer. has rubber seal to keep debris out the bearing. also the center metal tube seems to be longer than Perrin, so probably dont require spacer. also means you can't adjust for dive or squat.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
The whiteline ones are thinner and will pinch the subframe mount a little if you don't use a washer/spacer.

I've installed 4 of the EvoX Whiteline KCA400M on Evo 8/9's. Fit and work perfectly.

Extra caster can come at a cost.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
good to know
Old Jul 7, 2016, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

So the KCA400M is actually the EvoX part but fits the 8/9 then? That's why it doesn't show up on their website if you select Evo 8/9 as the vehicle.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 08:04 AM
EvoM Guru

So the KCA400M is actually the EvoX part but fits the 8/9 then? That's why it doesn't show up on their website if you select Evo 8/9 as the vehicle.
Correct.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 08:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by honda-guy
the whiteline looks nicer. has rubber seal to keep debris out the bearing. also the center metal tube seems to be longer than Perrin, so probably dont require spacer. also means you can't adjust for dive or squat.

Sperical bearings don't need to be sealed, they're a dry bearing. Tolerances are tight, so debris doesn't really get in them. Even in desert racing, they wear from abuse, not contamination.

Perrin is also adjustable for lift/anti-lift.

The whiteline ones are thinner and will pinch the subframe mount a little if you don't use a washer/spacer.

I've installed 4 of the EvoX Whiteline KCA400M on Evo 8/9's. Fit and work perfectly.

Extra caster can come at a cost.
Caster comes at a cost of what? Even the perrin, which adds more than whiteline, only netted me 5.3* caster with stock location coilover top hats. With stock control arm bushings my car had about 3.5*. That's hardy any caster.

Quick Reply: Perrin PSRS Help