Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

New Stance XR3 - Reinharte

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2016, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
Ahh duh OK I knew that...see personally I wouldnt want that. Then youre setting ride height with different length springs and crap like that which seems tedious for someone like me. And I can see the benefits of a threaded body in terms of keeping the costs down which as an amateur racer is nice since my pickets aren't exactly in line with pro race teams.
You're technically setting your ride height on any coilover. It's just better than adjusting the spring perch and moving the shock piston from the optimal position. I'm sure that if you ask Stance to set up the spring perchs for you. That way all you need to mess with is the ride height.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Why would you want a set spring perch? Unless you know exactly where you want it to be seems like that would take away some of the benefits of an adjustable coilover, no?

Yes you can set your ride height bc adding or taking away spring preload but independent ride height wins IMO as there is no effect spring rates.

On the flipside when my car is corner balanced the shock mount is adjusted not the spring perch. If the mount is solid youre solely relying on adding or taking away spring preload which only gives you so much adjustability and say you go lower in that corner your rate is increasing too. not a lot but something to think about.

If the shocks are designed around the car then you sorta know where you want things bc you designed it that way in the first place. But for us having the adjustibility seems only beneficial. This isnt F1 where we have 100 different suspension setups for a given track or track conditions.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 09:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
Why would you want a set spring perch? Unless you know exactly where you want it to be seems like that would take away some of the benefits of an adjustable coilover, no?

Yes you can set your ride height bc adding or taking away spring preload but independent ride height wins IMO as there is no effect spring rates.

On the flipside when my car is corner balanced the shock mount is adjusted not the spring perch. If the mount is solid youre solely relying on adding or taking away spring preload which only gives you so much adjustability and say you go lower in that corner your rate is increasing too. not a lot but something to think about.

If the shocks are designed around the car then you sorta know where you want things bc you designed it that way in the first place. But for us having the adjustibility seems only beneficial. This isnt F1 where we have 100 different suspension setups for a given track or track conditions.

He's not saying to not have it adjustable. He's just saying to have stance set it for you. Basically, the way to set preload is by measuring the amount of exposed shaft and getting the piston where you want it. Preload isn't for ride height adjustment.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
nice write up/review.

i had Stance aluminum coilovers on my s2000 7 years ago. they felt better than the kw v3 that i replaced.

i still have the Stance prototype camber/caster plates on my evo from 4 years ago.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
He's not saying to not have it adjustable. He's just saying to have stance set it for you. Basically, the way to set preload is by measuring the amount of exposed shaft and getting the piston where you want it. Preload isn't for ride height adjustment.
I misinterpreted when he meant by having them set it. I pictured the ring literally being "set"

OK then so while I agree with you that preload isn't for ride height adjustment how do you set ride height with something like a set of AST5100's? And how would you corner balance those without touching spring preload?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

heel2toe,

I think we aren't on the same page. lol

On a suspension like the KW's or AST5100's, you height adjustment is preformed at the spring perch. When you adjust this, it moves the piston up and down and this can sacrifice stroke.

On any of the Stance Suspensions, heights adjustment is preformed at the lower bracket. The piston isn't moved and this prevents the stoke from being sacrificed.

This is just a benefit of the Stance design, that is all.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Lol sorry to derail your thread; Im just bored here at work!

Back on topic. Glad you are liking your new suspension! Always great to see companies come out with new developments for our cars. Im not sure I'll outgrow my Ohlins anytime soon but if that time comes and Im in the market for some doubles or tripples it's nice to know that there are some more affordable options that have the performance to back em up
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by awdboosted
heel2toe,

I think we aren't on the same page. lol

On a suspension like the KW's or AST5100's, you height adjustment is preformed at the spring perch. When you adjust this, it moves the piston up and down and this can sacrifice stroke.

On any of the Stance Suspensions, heights adjustment is preformed at the lower bracket. The piston isn't moved and this prevents the stoke from being sacrificed.

This is just a benefit of the Stance design, that is all.
...does that mean you have to take the whole thing off/on/off to do the height/balance or do they have a clever way of rotating the shock while it's mounted
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
You just loosen the body mount and turn the whole thing.

At the rates we run, static compression on a spring is super low, depending on the spring rate it could be less than 1". With that little static compression, there shouldn't be any preload in the collar adjustment. Basically, set the collar on the spring to just capturing it. Once spring is held in place, tighten it down.

Then the body mount is used to adjust height. I don't do any adjustments more granular than a full turn on the ohlins (15 and 17 tpi for front and rear body though I don't remember which was 15 and 17 without checking my book). I put a mark on the spring collar and on the threads to have them always pointing out which gives a good quick reference if something has come loose.

This pays off too, especially if you don't have any flat bearing on the springs. My front come loose probably once a year and I can quickly reset it back to where it needs to be.
The following users liked this post:
EVOizmm (Jul 26, 2016)
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

What Dallas J said.

Last edited by awdboosted; Jul 25, 2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOizmm
great review!

I've also switched to Stance this year, so far every track I've been to I've beat my PB by seconds (yes seconds, not jut tenths).
That used conveyor belt you using there for ground effects?

http://www.stance-usa.com/main/2016/...ssions-stance/

I was torn between a system similar to old F1 or used conveyor belt off ebay.

What is the ID/OD of the spring? What is the difference between the Evo X and CT9A front lower bracket (dimensions)?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
I don't have dimensions, but how about a pic?

Left is standard 8/9 bracket, right is the X.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J

This pays off too, especially if you don't have any flat bearing on the springs. My front come loose probably once a year and I can quickly reset it back to where it needs to be.

see this happen often. I mark all suspension stuff from now on (alignment bolts too).