Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Light Weight battery

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2016, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Any pics of it outside of the bracket?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
put a fire blanket over that battery. or a lipo firesafe bag. lol
Old Sep 22, 2016, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still run full electronics in my car. Any negative to that with a small battery like this?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Doesn't matter. Once the car is running the alternator takes over.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 08:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
Doesn't matter. Once the car is running the alternator takes over.
Sort of. If you have a big stereo. The battery will absorb some of the bigger draws on the big bass hits and stuff.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
Any pics of it outside of the bracket?
I can get some sir, what would you like?

George
Old Sep 22, 2016, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BigT
I still run full electronics in my car. Any negative to that with a small battery like this?
I haven't removed any electronics yet, when I put it on the charger it goes immediately to optimize and skips charging? So far so good.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Just to see which batt you got, how small it is up close, etc.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 09:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
I just picked up this battery, a hans, and a helmet from racerpartswholesale.com. They had a 12% promo going so I saved a bunch of money. Will post picks when done as well.
The following users liked this post:
jedibow (Sep 24, 2016)
Old Sep 24, 2016, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

Nice v8
Old Apr 2, 2020, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Bumping this one instead of a new one. Ok Lithium Batteries - don't jump it, don't drain it, blah blah blah. But what gives when it comes to charging/storage of the thing. Half of what I read says even the expensive Li chargers can't be left on because it'll wear out the battery. Driving the car with the Alternator is basically the same thing. However for us race cars that sit for MONTHS at a time - whats the strategy? Kill switch is easy but me thinks why don't these chargers "shut off" until it detects a voltage drop? Laptops and such are LiN whereas I believe these are LifeP04. #confused.

In further efforts to loose weight I swapped from Group30 AGM to a Group30 Li battery and saved roughly 16lbs. But I don't want to burn this thing up.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 06:21 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
It all comes down to the BMS that the battery is using. LiFePo4 cells are fully charged at 3.6v per cell and a battery pack for a car will have a 4S configuration, or 4 cells in series for a fully charged voltage of 14.4 volts. LiFePo4 cells will be damaged if they are charged below freezing. So as long as the BMS keeps the cells balanced and has a low temp thermal cut off it should prevent you from damaging the cells from leaving it on a charger. As long as your charger doesn't exceed 14.4 volts. Any decent BMS will have under voltage protection to prevent damage to the cells from over discharge, but since you probably don't have the specs of the BMS itself you should follow the recommendations of the battery manufacturer.

Through my own testing with raw cells in my own packs I can tell you they don't like extreme temps in either direction. I would routinely lose the cells closest to the engine with the pack under the hood daily driving, so I would suggest you relocate the pack to keep it as far away from heat as possible. LiFePo4 have a non destructive fail mode compared to Lithium-ion, so there is no danger of them blowing up or catching fire if they do go bad, but they can crank out the amps so an electrical short can quickly become a fire if not properly fused / protected.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 03:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
Bumping this one instead of a new one. Ok Lithium Batteries - don't jump it, don't drain it, blah blah blah. But what gives when it comes to charging/storage of the thing. Half of what I read says even the expensive Li chargers can't be left on because it'll wear out the battery. Driving the car with the Alternator is basically the same thing. However for us race cars that sit for MONTHS at a time - whats the strategy? Kill switch is easy but me thinks why don't these chargers "shut off" until it detects a voltage drop? Laptops and such are LiN whereas I believe these are LifeP04. #confused.

In further efforts to loose weight I swapped from Group30 AGM to a Group30 Li battery and saved roughly 16lbs. But I don't want to burn this thing up.
I leave mine on a trickle charger and it has been doing great since I installed it.

George
Old Apr 3, 2020, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Ya I got a 2 month old Braille G30 (not a fan originally because they're resellers not manufactures) off a Pcar owner at the shop for 100 bucks because he parted the car. 5.5 lbs it's sick light. The Braille 6 amp charger on their site states it charges to 14.4 volts and then lights up when it's done - so if the battery "lives" at 14.4 why is one piece of paper saying don't leave it unattended, don't leave it on, leaving it on will wear it out as if driving it 24/7/365, etc etc. While the other says leave it on if it sits for more then 2 weeks.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 07:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Biggiesacks nailed it. Balancing the cells is key.

Ideally, all four of the cells in series get charged equally: 3.6 + 3.6 + 3.6 + 3.6 = 14.4V, and all is good.

In the real world, cells aren't perfectly matched, and they age differently. Over time you could end up with something like 3.3 + 3.5 + 3.7 + 3.9 = 14.4V. The whole pack will still read 14.4V and accepts a 14.4V charging voltage, but one of those cells is taking more stress and damage than the others. It works for a while, but now the cells are charging differently and some may have developed self-discharge problems.

Eventually, the cells might become so imbalanced that one cell is pushed out of the safe zone. If you get something like 3.6 + 3.6 + 4.4 + 2.8 = 14.4V, that 4.4V cell is going to be damaged. Best case, the pack dies quietly. Worst case, it catches fire. One of our local autocrossers had a DIY lithium battery pack catch fire under his hood for this exact reason.

Kill switch is easy but me thinks why don't these chargers "shut off" until it detects a voltage drop? Laptops and such are LiN whereas I believe these are LifeP04.
The problem is that the 2-wire chargers can only see the series voltage across the pack, not the individual voltage of the cells. If the pack becomes unbalanced, charging it to the set point might still overcharge a single cell in the series.

Laptop batteries and other systems have additional wires in between each cell. This allows the pack to burn off some energy from the overcharged cells, keeping the pack in balance.

A balancing charger for a car battery would have at least 5 wires connecting to the battery pack: 2 for +14.4V and GND, and another 3 for the connections between the cells (3.6V, 7.2V, 10.8V). The really good packs and chargers also have temperature sensors to monitor for thermal problems, but I don't know if anyone is doing that in the automotive space.

The alternative is to have a battery management system (BMS) in the battery itself to keep the cells balanced. This is more common in automotive batteries because it doesn't require a fancy charger, but to be honest I don't know which vendors actually do it. The idea here is that each cell in the pack has a circuit that limits it to a maximum voltage (3.6V). If the cell is charged higher than that voltage, it burns the excess energy off as heat. It's not really ideal because high charging currents could become a lot of heat, but it generally works for low amperage trickle charge. This is what I'd look for in a basic lithium ion battery pack.

The best option I've seen so far (not an exhaustive search) is Antigravity's RE-START series: https://antigravitybatteries.com/restart-technology/ They have an automatic disconnect if the battery is starting to get too discharged. If it trips, you press the button to reconnect the battery and ideally have enough power left to start the car once more. They also have built-in cell balancing.

Quick Reply: Light Weight battery