Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

STU #86 - 2006 Evo IX SE

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
jeez.. that should be a pretty loose setup
Old Dec 12, 2018, 08:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
On track maybe, but at low speed and high steering angles its takes a lot to get the rear moving.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
This thread makes me want to de-mod and go to STU.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by white_turbo
without a diff (stx, sth, str, stu non awd cars have it) or open boost (ECU controlled boosted cars have it, STH has it), STU frankly sucks for anyone who enjoys their evo for other **** besides autox. been fed up with scca's solo pedantic bs lately. looking forward to flipping to track
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
without a diff (stx, sth, str, stu non awd cars have it) or open boost (ECU controlled boosted cars have it, STH has it), STU frankly sucks for anyone who enjoys their evo for other **** besides autox. been fed up with scca's solo pedantic bs lately. looking forward to flipping to track
Don't disagree with that. I am just looking at it from a cost and reliability perspective to be honest. STU also has quite a sizable class on the National level, so that part of it is enticing too. I think a good STU car can still be very fun for the track without all the reliability issues, but it really depends on which level you want to play in.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I saw your comment about going back to the RE71R and I'm in the same boat. I ran on the Nexen this past season and loved the tire but I have finished them off. I had a hook up on the Nexen and now he is saying he can't get the deal he offered in the past. With the 2018 season over, I need tires if I keep going with the Evo. In our local ASP group where I've competed, we've lost all of the top drivers over the past year. It has come down to our top driver and me. He is undecided on his plans for next season as well. I had plans to drop out of ASP and not compete with the Evo next year. Several friends are trying to get me to keep the Evo and move to STU and compete. I need to remove a couple minor mods and then I can compete in STU. If I go that route, I would sell the car I picked up for next season and stick with the Evo. Our local STU class doesn't offer much competition and this doesn't excite me. I would love to run with you in an event as I've seen your progress since joining autox over the past few years.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:03 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I think a good STU car can still be very fun for the track without all the reliability issues, but it really depends on which level you want to play in.
I dunno about that. I've seen some STU setups and they would not be much fun on a road course. Maybe a mild STU car on a road course just for fun and not to set personal bests?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 08:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I dunno about that. I've seen some STU setups and they would not be much fun on a road course. Maybe a mild STU car on a road course just for fun and not to set personal bests?
Not fun in what way?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
jeez.. that should be a pretty loose setup
It turns pretty well the way it is right now, have some things to try for next year that should make it even more willing to rotate (then tweak from there ).

So what's stopping you?

Don't disagree with that. I am just looking at it from a cost and reliability perspective to be honest. STU also has quite a sizable class on the National level, so that part of it is enticing too. I think a good STU car can still be very fun for the track without all the reliability issues, but it really depends on which level you want to play in.
For me, STU is the sweet spot of cost and reliability, mixed in with the ability to be competitive at/near the top of the class. Everyone's situations are different, but I feel STU checks all of the important boxes for me

Fortunately for me, track/HPDE is not one of the important boxes

Originally Posted by Wanted EVO IX
I saw your comment about going back to the RE71R and I'm in the same boat. I ran on the Nexen this past season and loved the tire but I have finished them off. I had a hook up on the Nexen and now he is saying he can't get the deal he offered in the past. With the 2018 season over, I need tires if I keep going with the Evo. In our local ASP group where I've competed, we've lost all of the top drivers over the past year. It has come down to our top driver and me. He is undecided on his plans for next season as well. I had plans to drop out of ASP and not compete with the Evo next year. Several friends are trying to get me to keep the Evo and move to STU and compete. I need to remove a couple minor mods and then I can compete in STU. If I go that route, I would sell the car I picked up for next season and stick with the Evo. Our local STU class doesn't offer much competition and this doesn't excite me. I would love to run with you in an event as I've seen your progress since joining autox over the past few years.
I see you're from LVR, I'm assuming you know Marlon and TJ? They mentioned something about trying to get some of their local ASP Evo drivers to de-mod for STU, back at an El Toro event in August. As for the choice between STU and a different car + class, I guess it depends on what you're plans are for next year - if your priority is to run local/regional events and to be in a regionally competitive class, then maybe STU isn't a great choice if it's not all that strong. Nationally, STU should be very strong on the West Coast this year (Jeff S./Mark D. in their 370z, Matt A. in his E46 M3, Doug and Tasha in their Evo 9, possibly Mack and Justin Tsang in a 370z, and Bryan H's previous 350z in Ahren and Steve's hands (from Reno) should be interesting, plus I'm sure I've left out a few others as well), so if that interests you, join STU

As for making an event, come out to Crows Landing sometime, it's worth your while. Sometimes I go to Fontana and El Toro as well, might be at the January event in Fontana if my car is ready in time
Old Dec 12, 2018, 09:31 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Construct
Not fun in what way?
Made to rotate a lot more/easier than you may want on an road course. Relatively high spring rates, etc. I have to imagine the car would be twitchy and handling would be all over the place.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jim3142
So what's stopping you?
Yeah well....just the thoughts of having to source and swap the drivetrain components plus all the extra parts that I have just purchased recently...lol
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Made to rotate a lot more/easier than you may want on an road course. Relatively high spring rates, etc. I have to imagine the car would be twitchy and handling would be all over the place.
My Evo is built very similar to Jim's list in the opening post. I'm on 12K/15K springs with slightly softer bars. I wouldn't say it's too twitchy on a road course, but I don't have enough experience to really know if I'm missing out over a softer setup. I drop my Tanabe RSB from the stiffest setting to the low setting for track days, which makes plenty of difference for me.

On the other hand, my setup is probably a bit of a compromise between all-out STU build (Jim's) and a road course build (10K/12K?) so maybe I'm missing out. Either way, it's a lot of fun to drive. 12K/15K on Ohlins is about the upper limit of what I could tolerate on the street, though.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 01:37 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Construct

On the other hand, my setup is probably a bit of a compromise between all-out STU build (Jim's) and a road course build (10K/12K?) .
That's what I was meaning to say. My original post specified a "maxed-out STU build". I shoulda left that in. The suspension settings (springs/valving/alignment/sway bars/wheel & tire choice) are all so specific to STU and "less than ideal" for road course work. Some of that can be swapped out, obviously. Having a car with the compliance of a go-kart isn't so great on a big track
My car is setup for a road course and I can DEFINITELY see the difference in how it performs vs Jimmy's car. His is super responsive and stays flat as a pan cake around turns. He is 10x faster through slaloms. I assume I'd have certain advantages on a road course, though. Especially at the limit.
FWIW: my car is sprung relatively soft @ either 8/10 or 9/11.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim3142
It turns pretty well the way it is right now, have some things to try for next year that should make it even more willing to rotate (then tweak from there ).

So what's stopping you?

For me, STU is the sweet spot of cost and reliability, mixed in with the ability to be competitive at/near the top of the class. Everyone's situations are different, but I feel STU checks all of the important boxes for me

Fortunately for me, track/HPDE is not one of the important boxes

I see you're from LVR, I'm assuming you know Marlon and TJ? They mentioned something about trying to get some of their local ASP Evo drivers to de-mod for STU, back at an El Toro event in August. As for the choice between STU and a different car + class, I guess it depends on what you're plans are for next year - if your priority is to run local/regional events and to be in a regionally competitive class, then maybe STU isn't a great choice if it's not all that strong. Nationally, STU should be very strong on the West Coast this year (Jeff S./Mark D. in their 370z, Matt A. in his E46 M3, Doug and Tasha in their Evo 9, possibly Mack and Justin Tsang in a 370z, and Bryan H's previous 350z in Ahren and Steve's hands (from Reno) should be interesting, plus I'm sure I've left out a few others as well), so if that interests you, join STU

As for making an event, come out to Crows Landing sometime, it's worth your while. Sometimes I go to Fontana and El Toro as well, might be at the January event in Fontana if my car is ready in time
Yes I know Marlon and TJ well. We are always battling locally, not in the same class but we are regulars. I was up against Bryan H's 350Z this past Sunday. Those guys did well in that car. I'm shocked to see them running the wheels they have and would consider a RPF1. They and I were on the Nexen at this event and mine are toast as a local and fellow Evo M member dual drove my car at the event to finish off my tires. I hope to hear more about your schedule and if I can attend one I would enjoy it a lot.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

nexens last shorter than re71rs?

Quick Reply: STU #86 - 2006 Evo IX SE