STU #86 - 2006 Evo IX SE - Page 19 - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

STU #86 - 2006 Evo IX SE

Old Dec 13, 2018, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by white_turbo View Post
Yeah well....just the thoughts of having to source and swap the drivetrain components plus all the extra parts that I have just purchased recently...lol
At least you can resell that stuff, so it wouldn't be a total loss

Originally Posted by Construct View Post
My Evo is built very similar to Jim's list in the opening post. I'm on 12K/15K springs with slightly softer bars. I wouldn't say it's too twitchy on a road course, but I don't have enough experience to really know if I'm missing out over a softer setup. I drop my Tanabe RSB from the stiffest setting to the low setting for track days, which makes plenty of difference for me.

On the other hand, my setup is probably a bit of a compromise between all-out STU build (Jim's) and a road course build (10K/12K?) so maybe I'm missing out. Either way, it's a lot of fun to drive. 12K/15K on Ohlins is about the upper limit of what I could tolerate on the street, though.
I wouldn't say it's an all-out STU build as I've left a little on the table with power and weight reduction, probably something like 95% prep or whatever but it's definitely aimed towards autocross more than anything else. Currently no plans to track the Evo, so that makes it easier for me to focus the setup towards autocross

Originally Posted by Wanted EVO IX View Post
Yes I know Marlon and TJ well. We are always battling locally, not in the same class but we are regulars. I was up against Bryan H's 350Z this past Sunday. Those guys did well in that car. I'm shocked to see them running the wheels they have and would consider a RPF1. They and I were on the Nexen at this event and mine are toast as a local and fellow Evo M member dual drove my car at the event to finish off my tires. I hope to hear more about your schedule and if I can attend one I would enjoy it a lot.
Yeah, those XXRs are fairly heavy but really cheap for an 18x11 (under $700 for a set if I remember right). One of our local clubs (American AutoX Series, aka AAS) has released their schedule for next year, all events are at Crows Landing: http://www.americanautox.com/schedule/

Originally Posted by kyoo View Post
nexens last shorter than re71rs?
In my experience, the SUR4G doesn't last as long as the RE-71R. I've had 5 sets of SUR4Gs and the most runs I've gotten out of a set was about 80 - the best I got out of a set of RE-71Rs was 130 runs. Just my experience, YMMV and all of that.