Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Toyo R888R anyone try them?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2016, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Toyo may own Nitto, but they are two separate companies with their own operations. They don't share tech.
That seems incredibly contradictory to an efficient/integrated business model.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 01:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by nollij
That seems incredibly contradictory to an efficient/integrated business model.
They may share somethings, but it's not a technical partnership from talking to the guys at Nitto at SEMA the last couple of years.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 03:24 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Toyo may own Nitto, but they are two separate companies with their own operations. They don't share tech.

Re71 would be fine for a daily tire. Would prob last 10k miles and some track days and autocrosses as long as one's alignment wasn't -4.5* of camber on one of the fronts....
NASCAR setup, foo.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Re71 would be fine for a daily tire. Would prob last 10k miles and some track days and autocrosses as long as one's alignment wasn't -4.5* of camber on one of the fronts....
you guys are lucky, here in a 4 season climate those tires doesn't do any good at least 4 month of the year lol

Specially for me sometimes my car sits for months, Those tire would be square after a month sitting lol

I am doomed to drive all seasons.

and I am too lazy to swap wheels .
Old Dec 8, 2016, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanted EVO IX
I ordered a set of RE71R on Black Friday and went for the popular size 255/40-17. Discount Tire who I use regularly placed the order on Nov 22nd 2016 and they haven't come in yet. I was told by the shop manager they would be in by Wed the week after the order was placed. I've been doing follow up but keep getting a run around. The last response was 2 days ago the rep said the tires were shipped but "got lost". Earlier this year I tried to order this same tire and size and had no luck as they were sold out and no delivery date was set in April when I ended up with the smaller size RE71R. At this point I'm tempted to switch to the Toyo R888R and since it's new here for the US market it lacks feedback. I did see a video and read some limited reviews. My primary intended use is for Autocross and these are in stock for a 255/40-17 at a good price. Any input would be great.
This is what drove me to get 18s now.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 05:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS

Those tire would be square after a month sitting lol
No they wouldn't be. My car sits for months sometimes as well.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 05:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by razorlab
No they wouldn't be. My car sits for months sometimes as well.
When its cold out, the tire will go out of round. My re11's are bumpy for a few miles after the car sits for a week during winter. Doesn't do that in the summer.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 05:58 PM
EvoM Guru

When its cold out, the tire will go out of round. My re11's are bumpy for a few miles after the car sits for a week during winter. Doesn't do that in the summer.
winter in Vegas?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 07:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Yeah. It's gets "cool"...lol
Old Dec 8, 2016, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I think some of you have taken my original post and went off assuming I was daily driving with the Toyo R888R. This is not the case for me, I use my EVO for autocross only and that is how I intend to use my next tire whatever it ends up being. I made the call today to Discount Tire and they again are coming up with excuses as to why they haven't got the tires. I was too busy with work and I will have to deal with it tomorrow. At this point I'm frustrated and it's taking too long to have filled my order. My current RE71Rs are good for 3-4 more autocross events. That puts me at the beginning of next season and I don't want to be trying to find RE71R come early spring. In fact, I advise most of you to consider this will be a nightmare if you run the 255/40-17. I've been down this road once and now looks like it's round two. I'm going to need a back up plan and that's why I started this thread. This new Toyo Proxes R888R is all new but been out in Australia/ UK for a season from what I've read. An eBay seller has used ones for sale and I sent him a message for feedback and haven't heard from him yet.

For those of you who think this is the old Toyo R888, it's the new replacement. It's supposed to heat up fast and have great treadwear/last longer than their previous track tires. From a buyers perspective and what limited info I hope I'm not making a bad decision here. I'll just have to be a Guinea Pig on this one. After all what new R compound tire has gone backwards from a previous effort? I will have made up my mind tomorrow when I talk with the manager from Discount Tire.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah. It's gets "cool"...lol
I know you and Phil run the NT01, but how fast are these getting up to temp? I love the Stones (RE71R) because they heat up so quickly.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I know you and Phil run the NT01, but how fast are these getting up to temp? I love the Stones (RE71R) because they heat up so quickly.
If it's under 70 degrees for autocross it's tough sometimes to get them to temp.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 08:34 PM
EvoM Guru

After all what new R compound tire has gone backwards from a previous effort?
The R888's where worse then the RA1. A good amount of people went back to the RA1 after trying the new at the time R888.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 09:47 PM
EvoM Guru

I would get NT01's.

Per the guys at the toyo booth at SEMA not addressing my question on fixing how the r888 would hear cycle out, I would guess they didn't fix it..
Old Dec 9, 2016, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

I won't be going for a plan B option as my tires came in today. If I had just kicked around and not been on Discount for doing there job I'm sure I would've missed out on another set of 255/40-17. I'm thrilled and know I will be a contender for next season as we all have the same tire and size.

Quick Reply: Toyo R888R anyone try them?