Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2017 STU Discussion!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2017, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct
I installed stiffer rear springs on Saturday. Previously 650/700, now 650/850. Hotchkiss RSB on full stiff. The car is feels substantially better with the stiffer springs in the rear. Now I wish I had made the change earlier.

Changing springs is easy enough that I'll probably try a 700/900 setup next. A local nationals-level autocrosser who previously owned an Evo suggested I try 700/1000, which seems a bit too high. I'm curious enough that I may give it a shot. 1000 lb/in in the rear would require a revalve, but I may just have them revalved with 900 lb/in springs in mind. I certainly can't imagine going higher than 1000 lb/in rears on street tires.

If you don't want to go up in rear spring rate, you could always try a bigger RSB

When I was on 700/900 (using RJones' JRZ RS Pros), it felt pretty decent until we got the car on a surface with lots of grip (Crows Landing). The car would just push all over the place with those rates, going to 700/1000 helped a lot but you definitely notice a penalty in ride quality and things might get more "interesting" at bumpy lots
Old Mar 20, 2017, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim3142
When I was on 700/900 (using RJones' JRZ RS Pros), it felt pretty decent until we got the car on a surface with lots of grip (Crows Landing). The car would just push all over the place with those rates, going to 700/1000 helped a lot but you definitely notice a penalty in ride quality and things might get more "interesting" at bumpy lots
"bumpy" is quite often related to the dampers and not just spring rates. If you low speed compression is too high and you don't have a bleed for fast changes (aka high speed compression), they will contribute heavily to the bumpiness...
Old Mar 20, 2017, 08:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Y'all are crazy running those rates on street tires. Raise the car to fix your front Roll Center and don't be so scare of a little roll.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by MrAWD
"bumpy" is quite often related to the dampers and not just spring rates. If you low speed compression is too high and you don't have a bleed for fast changes (aka high speed compression), they will contribute heavily to the bumpiness...
Well, since I don't have triple adjustables, I guess I'm screwed then

The car didn't ride badly on 700/900, but going up in rear rate did make it worse (obviously).

Y'all are crazy running those rates on street tires. Raise the car to fix your front Roll Center and don't be so scare of a little roll.

I already did.....

Next project will probably be to see if I can reduce the spring rate all around but still have the car handle similarly to how it is now. You're welcome to take some runs in it if there's a TnT course at the Crows Pro
Old Mar 20, 2017, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jim3142
Well, since I don't have triple adjustables, I guess I'm screwed then

The car didn't ride badly on 700/900, but going up in rear rate did make it worse (obviously).
Believe it or not, but they do work! I was lucky enough to run 8760 Penske shocks on my 2G and even with pretty high rates, ride was pretty good (both street on all season tires and racing with Hoosiers) compared to anyone running much less with Koni yellows for example. To put some perspective to it: Koni's with 550/450 were way worse than Penske's with 800/650 for example.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Believe it or not, but they do work! I was lucky enough to run 8760 Penske shocks on my 2G and even with pretty high rates, ride was pretty good (both street on all season tires and racing with Hoosiers) compared to anyone running much less with Koni yellows for example. To put some perspective to it: Koni's with 550/450 were way worse than Penske's with 800/650 for example.
Thanks for making my koni's with 800/425 feel inadequate.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BigT
Thanks for making my koni's with 800/425 feel inadequate.
C'mon man! They are great shocks and it is hard to find anything better than that for the money!! There are just a few better options out there, but for way more money!

Your 2G is still running strong?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 03:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
650/700 felt relatively good on 245s, but with 265s I had to work to get the car to rotate. Going to 650/850 was an immediate improvement in handling. Front isn't lowered excessively. I have a few millimeters left before my front arms are parallel to the ground. Car still rolls a fair amount. It just turns and transitions so much better with the higher rear spring rates.

I haven't noticed any down sides yet, aside from a marginally worse ride quality. The car is no longer my DD so I can afford that, though.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 04:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Side note Construct, Could you do me a favor and take a measurement of the control arm angle from like a phone app (both sides to account for ground level), and measure ground to fender gap on both sides?

My constant issue with big spring rates is tire rate vs wheel rate. Rear is a bit more tolerant to big springs because the M.R. is low and overall weight unsprang weight is ~50% less than front. Tires make terrible shocks, and bad roll centers combined with that give dangerous hops when accelerating out of corners.

I run less spring than you with 295 hoosiers and don't feel any spring change would help roll. Tires still squish
Old Mar 20, 2017, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

C'mon man! They are great shocks and it is hard to find anything better than that for the money!! There are just a few better options out there, but for way more money!

Your 2G is still running strong?
So far so good. Made a bunch of good changes over the winter. You have to see it with the 285's on. I'll put updated pics on FB after the first event.

Fedja, you are very right. I'm skipping doubles and saving up for triples.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BigT
So far so good. Made a bunch of good changes over the winter. You have to see it with the 285's on. I'll put updated pics on FB after the first event.

Fedja, you are very right. I'm skipping doubles and saving up for triples.
285s give that car a different dimension!! Charles's car is running those for quite some time and looks pretty good. I bet with some better fenders to wrap those huge tires, car would look even better!
Are we connected on Facebook?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

285s give that car a different dimension!! Charles's car is running those for quite some time and looks pretty good. I bet with some better fenders to wrap those huge tires, car would look even better!
Are we connected on Facebook?
Yes, we are.

Charles' car, as well as Sam's SM car, are quite the inspiration for me. Although, I'm not a fan of the exposed cut front fenders. I added flares onto mine.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Congrats to Tasha for her appointment to the STAC. Enjoy your black helicopter
Old Mar 27, 2017, 04:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My first event in STU trim is in the books. Rather interesting weekend lol. The Northeast got hit with a late winter storm and the only place that aligns my car was essentially inaccessible. I whipped out the toe plates and went to town figuring it's better than nothing. Once all done I noticed my camber plates weren't similar side to side but I chalked it up to the difference being at the knuckle. Side note, I have two girls (2yrs and 9month) so my wrench time is essentially rushed and very limited.

The event was with NNJR (home region) which is super competitive, weather was good, 60's and overcast and I had a co-driver.

The car:
2014 Evo X GSR

Suspension/Wheels:
FA500 coilover 12k/16k
Ciro FSB Brackets on full stiff
Whiteline RSB and Links on the middle setting
18x10.5 et22 wheels with 275/35/18 Rival S tires (illegal tires, just killing them off)
GT Spec Front Tower Brace

Power:
Open Source STU legal Tune
AEM Boost and Wideband gauges
AMS High Flow Pipe
Invidia Single Catback
Cobb Intake and Inlet pipe

Long story short, fastest STU car out of 6, I pax'ed 15th out of 108 and Raw timed top 10. The car was changing every run and once I left the event I realized something was wrong. In order to drive straight I had to turn the wheel about 20 degrees to the left and hold it there. Once I got home I jacked the car up and both locking collars on the coilovers were completely loose. The amount of play from thread slop was INSANE. My alignment was insanely off, driver at -4.2, passenger at -2.2 (its just how the car settled with the slop.) Toe I didn't even bother measuring and just took it apart and tightened up the locking collars. The next day I went to the shop and got it aligned.

Here is what I rolled in on.

Front:
Camber -4.4, -3.5
Toe: .06, -.26
Caster: didn't even bother lol

Rear:
Camber -1.5, -1.4
Toe: .01, 0.07

So this was best case scenario after I tightened everything up, at the event it was way worse than this.

Current setting:
Front
Camber: -3.8, -3.8
Caster: 4.2, 4.1
Toe: -.06, -.06

Rear:
Camber: -1.7, -1.7
Toe: 0.00
Thrust 0.00

I can't believe my co-driver and I didn't hear any noises or notice there was a huge problem with the car. 3 very experienced people drove the car and nobody said anything.

Video:

Me and my codriver side by side:

His view:
First run the car was a disaster due to cold tires and dirty lot lol.

I only have one quick questions, when we rode together and got REALLY aggressive the car would begin pogoing/binding in the rear, almost hopping. This only happened in 2 sections of the course. You can see my codriver experienced it a lot more as he was much more aggressive and really threw the car around. It even happened to him in the opening slalom. It is impossible to replicate on the street as the grip level needed is simply going to get you arrested or hurt. Is the general thought here to reduce rebound and let the suspension work? Base on the results vs setup...I am VERY excited for this car. It was shocking how good it was.

Last edited by laloosh; Mar 27, 2017 at 05:15 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 06:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Pogoing on hard corner exit acceleration?

Quick Reply: 2017 STU Discussion!