Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2017 SM (Street Mod) Autocross Discussion

Old Feb 8, 2017, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
TRE makes his own, but said he could not for a week or so due to other projects.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 06:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
Gotta love Jon, he does so much you'd only know about from word of mouth or spending an hour on the phone with him (if you get a hold of him, an hour is easily spent).

Jacks has fantastic service and emails you with constant updates throughout the process but if I can get something special from Jon and have time, he gets my money. If I need it quicker or basic, Jacks is fantastic too.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
Jon is doing his best to work himself out of a job though. we got 7 year (nearly 1000 pro launches) out of one of his rebuilt transmissions (and the failure was a broken 4th gear syncro...on an autox car) and 4 years and counting out of a transfer case.

I think if you're having center diff problems you really have to get your wheel spin under control. the center diff spider gears should have almost zero rotational speed, just the difference in rolling distance from front axle to rear axle when turning, so you shouldn't see any heat marks or wear*.

*breaking teeth off from SM levels of torque are excluded from this statement.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 03:21 AM
Evolving Member

Pretty sure most damage was done when a left rear axle failed on a pro launch a few years back. My codriver decided to finish the run...
Old Feb 17, 2017, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Any of you fellas interested in a sticker set of 295 a7's? I've only mounted them but I may end up going back to 275's.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 05:20 PM
EvoM Guru

I need one, but not a set
Old Feb 17, 2017, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
I need one, but not a set
How is it you only need 1 lol
Old Feb 17, 2017, 06:03 PM
EvoM Guru

I have 7 from. Deal I couldn't pass on. After this set I will switch back to 285s in project low
Old Mar 16, 2017, 01:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Saw this video of the Tilton T/A car thinking man that car is stiff for the aero load. And was wondering if he got the porpoising I couldn't dial out when I ran real stiff spring. Then all the sudden I get the best clip of it happening Ive seen so far.

I've watched it a dozen times with my face about 6in a way from my 30" monitor now to really try and see the dynamic. I can see the rear suspension moving but the front is all bounce on the tires. That totally makes sense given weight distribution of our cars, but the front tires are definitely a relevant spring in the spring/mass system.

So I understand peoples desire to run more rate, I believe that should never be high enough the tires, and under damped spring, should be significantly relevant.

Edit: Oops, that was suppose to start at 10m3s, skip forward and you'll get a great shot of it.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Not sure what their rear rate was, but they were running 1200lb springs up front. I remember seeing the Eibach part number in one of MotoIQ's close-up shots.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

I'll save you a bunch of time. It hops because the roll centers are too low or because the diffs suck...or both.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 01:46 PM
EvoM Guru

I think they have one of the upright options, but I have no clue on specific details theirs run. I obviously have my opinions on the matter, but have thought about trying another 100lbs all around again and seeing if hop comes back. Right now I just get slidy if I over drive, not hoppy like I use to.

Oh yeah, you guys raised the car a bunch at some point. Did that fix your hopping issues I know you've seen before? Putting 2 and 2 together, would make sense.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

Bringing this back from the dead. We found the limit of our trans in NJ this year. A little north of 700 launches on the case. I had just done fresh internals this winter, but the output shaft bearing tried to exit the bell housing side of the trans. Also broke a rear axle in the rear diff, which cracked the carrier housing. Since then I changed clutches. An unspring triple disc is too harsh. Toledo was the first event on a sprung twin, and the launches are so much smoother.

We had a different issue in Toledo that had me worried about the motor, so we packed it in. Still need to get to the bottom of that one, but I hope the clutch change turns the corner on reliability for this car.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 08:58 PM
EvoM Guru

The number of runs you guys make definitely pushes that reliability factor. I feel like at a certain point you stop modding and just spend your time/money in fixing. And some how that part gets exponentially more expensive...

Really looking forward to seeing how the OS Giken clutch holds up. It may be what I swap to after this round of XTSS (they seem to last me 2 years-ish)
Old Jun 17, 2017, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Many thumbs up for the os giken clutches! I have the absolute best pro solo clutch for an evo, which is an R3C with an STR cover/pressure plate. Gives tons of smooth modulation with no chatter and can take launch after launch without warping.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 SM (Street Mod) Autocross Discussion