Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

What clutch is on your track car?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What clutch is on your track car?

Just wanted to get some reviews experiences on which clutch/flywheel you track guys are using?
Single, twin, puck, material etc....
downshifting smoothness, high rpm shifting, longevity?

Searched but most of the reviews here are from drag or street driven cars.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Exedy twin is by far the best all around clutch I've experienced. nice easy drivability for around town but will take some serious track abuse.

Track only: QuarterMaster 7.25in V-Drive. very small and compact clutch. Been seeing noticeable power gains with this clutch but super harsh for street use.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
exedy twin by far the best for our car, in my experience. ACT is just junk.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
ACT XT-SS. Run 450/400 and have had 0 issues with mine
Old Nov 26, 2015, 04:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Exedy HD twin. Came from an XTSS, and the exedy is way better.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

Exedy twin:
Do you use the ACT monoloc or exedy or?
Do you feel like it shifts slower at high rpms since its a twin?
How many track seasons do these last before a rebuild?

ACT- HDSS or XTSS:
What flywheel are you using?
How is the downshift engagement is it smooth or harsh? SS is full face organic so is it like stock?
Track seasons these usually last?

Has anyone tried say a ACT or CC 6-puck sprung for track use?
It seems these shift way faster at high rpms benefiting lower lap times? TRE recommended a 6 puck for road course use?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Love my Exedy stage 1 HD, very nice driveability.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 08:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by jdmdc2r01
Exedy twin:
Do you use the ACT monoloc or exedy or?
Do you feel like it shifts slower at high rpms since its a twin?
How many track seasons do these last before a rebuild?

ACT- HDSS or XTSS:
What flywheel are you using?
How is the downshift engagement is it smooth or harsh? SS is full face organic so is it like stock?
Track seasons these usually last?

Has anyone tried say a ACT or CC 6-puck sprung for track use?
It seems these shift way faster at high rpms benefiting lower lap times? TRE recommended a 6 puck for road course use?
The exedy I have now shifts better than the single disk came out. The engine also free revs in neutral noticeably faster. The whole thing is just lighter. And the disks are smaller diameter than a single disc. I use the act monoloc in it...
Old Nov 27, 2015, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exedy Twin HD. Rebuilt it once, kinda pricy for rebuild parts. But I wouldn't change. Never never had problems with it and the guys at Exedy were awesome when I met them at Road Atlanta a few years back.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm in the minority...comp stage 2 carbon Kevlar with exert lw flywheel. One of the better clutches I've ever used in any car. Zero issues, smoothe shifts, holds all the power I've throw at it with a stock turbo and 93 and e85. Think it's been in for 3 track seasons at this point.

Comp had a slightly bad rep until English helped redesign/test some, the stage 2 came about with their help afaik. I couldn't bring myself to drop the money on a twin at the time.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I use an exedy triple HD. I loved the twin HD, but with Pro Solo launches it was not holding up. To be fair, that means it saw 8 launches within 30 minutes... three times in an event weekend. More if one of us made it to the super challenge. I cracked the intermediate plate in one season.

On the triple, it has been through 2 full seasons of autox abuse with even more power than the twin. The same Pro Solo launch fun, too. I pulled it apart a month ago because the tob failed. The plates were in really good shape. I rotated the discs (outer wears the fastest), and I bet I can get another two seasons out of it.

As for manners, I liked the twin the best. It is a sprung disc design, so it is easier on the trans. It is also a bit smoother engagement. The triple is good, but it takes a little more finesse to slip when driving on the street. Both clutches seemed great at shifting up to 7800-8k range. The new motor spins higher, and I have noticed issue with shifting above 8k (can feel the syncros struggling). I can make the shift, but not as fast as when the rpm is below 8k unless I want to be mean to the trans.
The following users liked this post:
Nimpoc (Nov 8, 2016)
Old Nov 29, 2015, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm only running a little over 300whp in my MR but I'm getting away with using the ACT HDSS. This year I have 6 track days, over 20 autocross event including a pro solo with a total of about 15 or so launches. It is also my daily with about 17k miles on it. No issues so far
Old Nov 30, 2015, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Exedy twin, by far.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by psushoe
I use an exedy triple HD. I loved the twin HD, but with Pro Solo launches it was not holding up. To be fair, that means it saw 8 launches within 30 minutes... three times in an event weekend. More if one of us made it to the super challenge. I cracked the intermediate plate in one season.

On the triple, it has been through 2 full seasons of autox abuse with even more power than the twin. The same Pro Solo launch fun, too. I pulled it apart a month ago because the tob failed. The plates were in really good shape. I rotated the discs (outer wears the fastest), and I bet I can get another two seasons out of it.

As for manners, I liked the twin the best. It is a sprung disc design, so it is easier on the trans. It is also a bit smoother engagement. The triple is good, but it takes a little more finesse to slip when driving on the street. Both clutches seemed great at shifting up to 7800-8k range. The new motor spins higher, and I have noticed issue with shifting above 8k (can feel the syncros struggling). I can make the shift, but not as fast as when the rpm is below 8k unless I want to be mean to the trans.
That's a lot of launching, I'm sure it got toasty. Did the intermediate plate crack and fail, or was it just showing small surface heat cracks like brake rotors get?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

What flywheel are you using with the ACT clutches?

Anyone know the weight of the exedy twin flywheel?

Quick Reply: What clutch is on your track car?