Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2017 SCCA Solo ASP Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
Technically? None really. It'd have to be drastic like a 175 Vs a 335 and even then it's dependent on surface, weight and so forth. Compound has always aligned more with grip and width has always aligned more with endurance of said grip level.
Right! Grip would, again theoretically, not depend of the surface area, so higher coefficient of friction would always produce more forces required to break it, assuming the same weight. Once the tire is abused, other things here come to play as its deflection, temperature, and so forth that would play its role in where the final number is.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 01:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Well I would put money on a 285 rivals or RE71 over 225 A7 on an Evo on asphalt. Concrete opens gap between streets and r-comes, just look at nats pax vs tour/pro's.
Old May 24, 2017, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Well, my 2017 debut in a "National" event was a fail. I thought the car was nice and healthy with rebuilt transmission/xfer case and new clutch done at end of 2015 (minimal events in 2016 and no hard launches since) would survive the NJ ProSolo. Not a single run was made by me and the car broke down on my co-driver's third run. =(

Now back to fixing the car.....based on a fellow autoxer opinion, the front diff is probably shot (which in hindsight should have been swapped out also at the time).
Old May 24, 2017, 02:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Stock front diff is pretty weak, would not take that to a pro outside of a stock clutch. Wavetrac makes a perfectly suitable OEM style replacement but I'm far happier after swapping to the 1way clutch front.
Old May 24, 2017, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Well, my clutch is stock-ish. I replaced it with the Exedy Stage 1 thinking that I could protect the drivetrain more with it. Which diff did you use?

I have talked to Aaron about it, he seems happy with Quaife. And I just talked to Jon @ TRE and he recommends the Wavetrac. Obviously, I have no experience on either nor the 1 way clutch that you are referring to.

Did you see a huge improvement in the way the car pulls out of a corner?
Old May 24, 2017, 03:11 PM
EvoM Guru

I have the Mfactory clutch diff which I swapped out from a Wavetrac. The torsen diff in AutoX at heavy steering angles and off throttle induces push. The engine braking torque is enough to try and bind the tires. The 1way clutch diff just acts open off throttle and when trying to change line mid corner you really get the car to tuck in on lift instead of push wide.

And its not a marginal difference. It was one of the most eye opening changes from something that doesn't seem that important. Its enough that I would probably run an open front diff rather than a torsen after feeling the change.
Old May 28, 2017, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks. So I take it as that the helical diffs act more like a 1.5 (or even 2 way) diff, but you are much happier with a 1 way diff for the front and the clutch type diff is the only way to do that. ​​​​I guess this makes sense to me.

Obviously, the clutch type requires more maintenance and offer adjustability also, just not sure if I will even be able to take advantage of that.
​​​​
Old May 28, 2017, 02:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Exactly. It might require more maintenance but you can also upgrade the plates to longer lasting parts. My car isnt a street car so its not an issue for me. But make no mistake, it is definitely the way to go.
Old May 29, 2017, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Dallas, how much preload do you run in that front diff..

I am asking as I have managed to get my hands on a ralliart front plate diff that can be configured as a 1 way or 1.5 way diff with 3 different preloads.. Since it came in a heavy preloaded version, I am thinking of getting the weakest preload spring washers first..
Old May 29, 2017, 08:11 AM
EvoM Guru

I would start on the soft side of things and move up. Itll be easy to feel if you have inside front wheel spin but that can at least be managed with rolling into throttle gentler. Its hard to do anything about too much preload with driving.

I have my plates stacked to only give 60% of max lockup. Currently dont feel any need to go up or down, but if I did pull it to change I would probably try down and see if one-wheel spin becomes a thing. I dont know for sure if its the right mentality on it, but its where I'd start.
Old May 29, 2017, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

ok, sounds about right..

we will first baseline the suspension geometry and damper changes with the original helix diff and then switch the transfer box to the one with raliiart diff... to see what difference it brings.. I'll get the softest preload cone springs... darn things are stupidly expensive..
Old May 29, 2017, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
20-30 ft-lb is a good target for front preload.
Old May 29, 2017, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

my diff came with 180 lbft preload... can get it down to 88 lbft.. (sticking to official spec.. playing with non standard preload washers will give different range of course..)
Old May 30, 2017, 07:35 AM
EvoM Guru

If theirs an even stack of washers, like say 8 or 12 of them, can you take out half? Or interval of 3 take out 1/3rd. Also, is the preload you're specing the break away torque or the spring load? Measuring break away torque usually requires a special tool (I think Mfactory sells a tool for it)
Old May 30, 2017, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by kikiturbo
my diff came with 180 lbft preload... can get it down to 88 lbft.. (sticking to official spec.. playing with non standard preload washers will give different range of course..)
I suspect we're not talking the same units of measure, but if it really is 180 ft-lbs of preload that is way too much for a front diff.

Quick Reply: 2017 SCCA Solo ASP Discussion