Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.
View Poll Results: What would you choose?
Ohlins R&T
78.33%
AST 5100
5.00%
Motion Control singles
6.67%
Penske
0%
Something else in this price range - post up in the thread
10.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

$2,000 - $3,000 Coilovers. Let's discuss.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2017, 06:33 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
All the peeps that bought R32s are having an expensive time buying parts that don't cross reference with US cars. Luckily, the z31 has a lot in common...
But rumors of door trim rubber being $800-1000 per SIDE, as well as other hard-to-find stuff, kept me from selling my Evo. F all that. Not worth it unless you are a true, TRUE fan. For those guys, I get it.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not giving up the evo but I will own an R32 eventually. I started out with a z32, so I'm completely biased towards Nissan. When I do get one however everything will be gutted, and caged. F going back to OBD1 though, will get a standalone. The beautiful thing about the R32 compared to the evo though would be close to race weight(probably a little lighter than the evo). Motor and driveline are practically bulletproof and having only 2 doors with AWD always to me sounded like the perfect combination.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:50 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
The weight of the GTR and rigidity Of a sedan may surprise you.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
If I was getting a GTR, I would honestly, probably, just get an R35. They are so dead reliable at anything under about 1600whp it would hard to choose something else...lol
a gaping hole and 2 missing rods from a block we now use as a table will not agree with you..

truth be told.. it did run on 4 cyl afterwards..
Old Apr 14, 2017, 08:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by kikiturbo
a gaping hole and 2 missing rods from a block we now use as a table will not agree with you..

truth be told.. it did run on 4 cyl afterwards..
When built properly, they're great. Straight from the mouth of guys from English Racing. I have a feeling they know what there talking about.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

When built properly, they're great. Straight from the mouth of guys from English Racing. I have a feeling they know what there talking about.
built, ok, this was stock and let go at 620 hp @ crank..

what was weird was that the stock rods are massive, and there are 6 of them.. yet it blew apart in the most dramatic way..

they do require other mods too, like trans and trans cooling for start... nice car but more for the open roads..
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

and to get back on topic a bit... the ohlins transformed the R35 too.. much better than stock bilsteins...
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:10 PM
EvoM Guru

and to get back on topic a bit... the ohlins transformed the R35 too.. much better than stock bilsteins...
built, ok, this was stock and let go at 620 hp @ crank..

what was weird was that the stock rods are massive, and there are 6 of them.. yet it blew apart in the most dramatic way..

they do require other mods too, like trans and trans cooling for start... nice car but more for the open roads..

Any number of things could've gone wrong. Just like, occasionally, Evo's blow up at well below the "generally accepted" 400wtq limit on the stock block.

Obviously a 1600whp car is going to be built motor, built trans, turbo kit, full fuel system and cooling system, probably even dry sump since you're already spending so much money. I would like one with bolt ons and the Xona green turbos. Would be a fun car.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I always preferred the Evo over the Skyline. Although I do respect and admit they are faster straight line cars. I feel a same way with the Supra. Would I be as happy in them as in the Evo? well I drove and in fact I had an older supra. I just find the Evo more nimble and handy which is more important for me then high way pulls. Of course its my opinion.
Also I found the Evo is a cheaper car all around too, which is actually an add on for me with this type of cars.

if I would like to be fancy I would rather get a german like a E63 AMG or M5 or the RS6 etc.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts
A question for those who are running Ohlins with at least 3.5 degrees of negative camber:

It seems like the brake line bracket rubs on the inner wheel well (Only on the drivers side I believe). What are you guys doing to counter act this? I swear I saw a post somewhere about it, but for the life of me, cannot find it!

Thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
^Yeah I had to deal with that on my car. Honestly, I dont remember exactly what I did other than I bent it so it wouldn't hit. There are 2 brackets one for the actual brake line and the other for the ABS wires and I believe just bending it towards the outside of the car gave it enough room.

I recall running into the issue but it was simple enough that I dont remember my exact method to sort it out. Not sure if this gives you anything to go off of but I tried my best, lol!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by heel2toe
^Yeah I had to deal with that on my car. Honestly, I dont remember exactly what I did other than I bent it so it wouldn't hit. There are 2 brackets one for the actual brake line and the other for the ABS wires and I believe just bending it towards the outside of the car gave it enough room.

I recall running into the issue but it was simple enough that I dont remember my exact method to sort it out. Not sure if this gives you anything to go off of but I tried my best, lol!
Haha, no worries! That actually helps and I'll try and just simply bend the bracket so it doesn't continue tearing into the inner wheel well. I think it's already bent from the little turning I've done, so it shouldn't be a huge deal!

Thanks again!

I have the car aligned but I'm still sorting out the rear fenders but hope to attend an autocross in the region this weekend!

Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Solution; Find/install perrin offset PSRS, get top plates from Dallas J for added caster, achieve 6.8* of caster, and only need to run -3* camber.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Solution; Find/install perrin offset PSRS, get top plates from Dallas J for added caster, achieve 6.8* of caster, and only need to run -3* camber.
That's definitely something I'm going to do for next season!

This year I was planning on trying to leave this car alone as much as I can in regards to mods and not turn it into a money pit. This is becoming easier said than done, haha!

Simple formula for Autox this season:
Turboback exhaust
18x10.5's
285/30/18 Hoosier A7's
Ohlins

Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
^Thats a great setup I've got the same wheels with some 285 zii ss that I havent killed yet. Getting those wheels to fit was tons of fun.

But even with the PSRS and caster plates up top I still currently run -3.5 degrees upfront. I think with my current rates I could get away with a lil less but this seems to work well for now.

I do plan to pick up some uprights and LCAs from Dallas and new plates eventually at which point I too think I could get away with less camber which would be nice.

The thing is I have so many different things that I would like to do to my evo between lightweight stuff to trick suspension parts. And then there is the other part of me that is trying to stop spending money on the evo and buy more tools like my current flavor of the week being the desire to pick up a tire machine. Arggg decisions decisions...

Quick Reply: $2,000 - $3,000 Coilovers. Let's discuss.