Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.
View Poll Results: What would you choose?
Ohlins R&T
78.33%
AST 5100
5.00%
Motion Control singles
6.67%
Penske
0%
Something else in this price range - post up in the thread
10.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

$2,000 - $3,000 Coilovers. Let's discuss.

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Well, if you go with Guy, you get these prices per shock:
8300 Double adjustable: $795.00
8760 Triple adjustable: $1,325.00

And when I got mine back in 2001, price was $1,200, so over the last 15 years prices didn't go up that much. Back in days, doubles were still the same price! I do believe struts are more, but I have no prices for that.
Old May 23, 2017, 11:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
I wish he had more detail on the body specs and mounting configuration. I want to know if theyre body height adjustable along with spring perch adjustment like Ohlins or FA.
Old May 23, 2017, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
I wish he had more detail on the body specs and mounting configuration. I want to know if theyre body height adjustable along with spring perch adjustment like Ohlins or FA.
I don't think so! I believe the body is sleeved part that has one or two big nuts that are also used as spring perch. Unless something changed in the meantime...

This picture is similar to what I have on 2G: http://ankenyracingenterprises.com/i...a%20Shocks.JPG
One big nut under the spring that is also a perch!
Old May 23, 2017, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
My car feels great with 10k front, 700lb rear.
I think this is very subject per driver. What's rough for one is perfectly fine for another, plus there are other factors at play too.
Old May 23, 2017, 01:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Brent is that you?

My personal experience, anything over 500lb/in (9k) springs starts to feel pretty harsh on the street depending on how bumpy the roads are. The high speed DFV valving on Ohlins or any shocks can only do so much.

That's me!

This is very true. I had AST 10kg/11kg on the street previously, which I thought was alright. Definitely firm, but I think I can tolerate much more than most people it seems like.
Old May 23, 2017, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LV///R
This is very true. I had AST 10kg/11kg on the street previously, which I thought was alright. Definitely firm, but I think I can tolerate much more than most people it seems like.
What exhausts people find normal, I find too loud. My tolerance is definitely lower. I'm a delicate butterfly.
Old May 23, 2017, 01:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I think this is very subject per driver. What's rough for one is perfectly fine for another, plus there are other factors at play too.

By great, I mean being able to absorb bumps without upsetting the car. On the street, it's not Cadillac, but it definitely is better than my old cheapo coilover setup, and 100% acceptable to me.
Old May 23, 2017, 01:25 PM
EvoM Guru

What exhausts people find normal, I find too loud. My tolerance is definitely lower. I'm a delicate butterfly.
Hahaha!

I know as I'm aging, my tolerance level is getting lower and lower with certain aspects in regards to cars/performance mods. This time the car will be quiet, non-cammed and somewhat "under the radar" compared to my last one. Like you, I'll be a delicate little butterfly someday soon!

Old May 23, 2017, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
By great, I mean being able to absorb bumps without upsetting the car. On the street, it's not Cadillac, but it definitely is better than my old cheapo coilover setup, and 100% acceptable to me.
Oh yea, in that respect it's perfectly fine. The shocks do their job, really well.

Originally Posted by LV///R
Hahaha!

I know as I'm aging, my tolerance level is getting lower and lower with certain aspects in regards to cars/performance mods. This time the car will be quiet, non-cammed and somewhat "under the radar" compared to my last one. Like you, I'll be a delicate little butterfly someday soon!

You calling me old?!? Get off my lawn!

I still remember your cammed Evo. It took off the line like a raped ape! Hopefully I'll see you @ Spring Nats.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 06:20 AM
EvoM Guru

I figured I'd recap another weekend in Lincoln!

Yesterday was HOT! Thankfully there was a breeze, but the temps were supposedly in the mid/upper 90's with mostly sunny skies.

I ran in the 3rd heat, so I felt exhausted by the time I started my heat! This time I actually got to run on the hoosiers and really wanted to see how much closer I'd come to a well prepped STI (Caged, larger single turbo, Hoosiers, and I'm guessing somewhere in the 450whp+ range). I was hoping the evo 9 was going to be there that was well prepped as well, but he didn't make it.

I probably put a bit too much heat into the tires, but I didn't have anything to spray them down with like most other people were doing throughout the day. My car has immense amounts of grip. It doesn't seem to understeer much and rarely has any oversteer. It's very neutral, but I would like it to rotate a bit more. I may just end up going with the upgraded rear diff in the near future to see how that helps. Keep in mind, I'm still on the stock bars too.

It was a pretty crazy finish between me and the driver of the STI. Each and every run, he would be in line right ahead of me. I knew on my last run I had to pull of a clean, fast lap to overtake him. As I watched him pull out of the start for his 6th run, not too far into the run he stopped and pointed out a downed cone. He would get a re-run after me running my final run....

Either way, I nailed my 6th run even though I swear I touched a cone. This was in a long slalom and I looked up in the rearview (which I shouldn't have) and by doing so, ALMOST lost control. Thankfully it was clean. 48.8 and he was at a 50 flat after 5 runs. After that was done, I watched him run his final lap, which looked fast, but he wasn't able to knock any time down.

My question is, what air pressures are you guys normally running on Hoosier A7's? I've been normally running around 39/39psi COLD. I've heard some people telling me to drop it to the low 30's HOT. Also some telling me they run in the high 40's HOT. I feel like I have a ton of grip and really am not rolling over, but I don't want to leave anything on the table here.

Fun fact. Porsche Boxters must lose their headlights easy? I was working the course and the driver hit his brakes and out popped his headlight. We also had that happen to a boxter owner in our local region? Coincidence?

Results (I'm in Street Modified only because I've flared my rear fenders. I'm at about 260whp I'd predict, with just an exhaust/no tune):
http://www.nrscca.com/files/results/...lo_Results.pdf
Old Jun 12, 2017, 07:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Nice job there. Wish I was closer Nebraska to run there more than once every couple years. Your pressures are right in the ballpark of what I run.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 08:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Nice job there. Wish I was closer Nebraska to run there more than once every couple years. Your pressures are right in the ballpark of what I run.
Thank you!

I definitely surprised myself a bit yesterday. I'm really debating whether I want to truly build this as an SM car next year and try my luck at nationals, or sell it since I've flared/cut the rear fenders, buy another evo and try my luck with a ASP setup...Decisions!

I appreciate the insight on the tire pressures as well!

Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:27 AM
EvoM Guru

I say SM all the things! Plus the evo start doing really cool things once you fix front roll center and add caster.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
I'm curious why you think you're not ASP legal? Cutting bodywork outside of the hub face is legal to fit tires.

40psi +/-3 psi is the range we run our 285's at.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 01:02 PM
EvoM Guru

I say SM all the things! Plus the evo start doing really cool things once you fix front roll center and add caster.

I'll definitely consider this!!!

Originally Posted by griceiv
I'm curious why you think you're not ASP legal? Cutting bodywork outside of the hub face is legal to fit tires.

40psi +/-3 psi is the range we run our 285's at.
I read through the rules quite quickly as we normally run NASA rules locally, so I may have missed it or misinterpreted it. But my rear fenders are pulled a bit to make the 18x10.5" wheels "fit". I thought that is illegal in ASP? Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: $2,000 - $3,000 Coilovers. Let's discuss.