Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Upgrading Struts, couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2017, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I literally just went through this same dilemma, went from stock KYB with Hotchkis lowering springs and it was a great daily setup. In autocross it was competitive but I often felt I was collapsing the shock/spring and suffered the results. It crossed my mind of going to Bilstein B6/B8 with springs because others have had great success with them. I started digging into coilovers and went with FA, I couldn't be happier. What I noticed was cost of the Bilstein with springs was close to FA 500s. I knew the FA was the way to go and the fact they will build them the way you desire. I would take advantage of this feature too. I'm not running high power like others here on the forum so stiffer springs are a must upgrade over the standard 8k/8k they offer. I'm also running the RE71R and I enjoy my setup throughly. My wife said this weekend that she liked the ride of my new suspension and didn't have any complaints at all. I did do the radial bearing and chose the FA springs vs Swift. If I was in your shoes get 9k F 10k R and enjoy. You will be pleased with the results.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Not leaking doesn't mean a properly functioning damper.
Yep, but like I said, I don't remember the KYB's as ever being particularly compliant.