Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Lets See Those Custom Parts v.2023

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Alright guys, who's ready for these things. Ill have 4 sets ready with some spare bodies this week. But with upgrading the Tormach to a Haas VF2 I wont be able to finish more parts for a while. Though I will be working on some new ideas in the CNC deadtime. The arms should be ready in the next week.

One question though, what would people like to see for finishing on the steel trailing arm and bodies in the future? I could delay things and get the trailing arms plated but the current bodies are setup with bearing clearances for no finishing like we did on the uprights. Ive thought about maybe doing a clear hard anodizing then post machining the bearing bores or just sizing for that growth.

Always looking to make better parts and fancier finishing my be the next step. Downside is it only increases cost with no performance gain.
Making them rust/corrosion/break proof goes a long way especially for a part you put so much work and we put so much effort and $ in using.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was looking back through this thread to find something and came upon this. That's not a half bad idea. Will have to noodle over that one.
Think more about the buried bearings?
Interested in the rear mounts following your video...

Also, another part ripe for redesign might be the rear toe correction bushings from Whiteline. It seemed like a real functional and quality downgrade going from the nice lined bearings to the urethane offset bushings.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 04:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
I think I have my next 3 major projects decided on based on what I think has the most potential on my car.

First is the front splitter mounts. I really want to figure out the quick disconnect splitter. I also have some cool ideas for canards considering SM doesnt allow splittler end plates but canard end plates are open.

Second is the billet rear upright. I'll probably correct for around 1" of drop but not as much as front cause I think big rear bar is the way to go and dont want to ruin that. What I want to do is correct the bump steer and reset the camber gain in bump. I also critically want to keep the hand brake. For AX, Street, or Drag its pretty dang important and people don't want to have to buy and deal with alternative hand brakes I assume. I know I don't at least. There are other things Im also thinking about with dive on the trailing arm but I dont know if just a reset of that is adequate or if we want some amount of squat.

Third is a spherical mount for the front swaybar. I dont like having to shim my swaybar mounts to remove stiction and then have the backlash is its effectiveness. So I want it solid mounted but completely free. I have an idea, gonna be great!
Old Aug 8, 2017, 04:38 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
In two years, I will have the money to buy all this stuff....
So, by all means, keep up the good work LOL

I just hope some of these things are still avail by then.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
Did someone say canards ?
I was going to make some out of carbon fiber. I have everything, just need the push ?
Who wants canards of a random but looks good angle for the Evo X ?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaraxle
Did someone say canards ?
I was going to make some out of carbon fiber. I have everything, just need the push ?
Who wants canards of a random but looks good angle for the Evo X ?
For a X you'll only get 1 or two in here, most of the rest of us are 8/9's.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 09:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Just going to post this here and in the SM thread for now, but going to do a "SSB gets a new CNC" blow-out on the 3 remaining original uprights for $1500/set. This will let me basically get started immediately on making the next batch and learning the new machine. The next batch will go up to $1900 will have a bit more refinement and be clear anodized but wont function any different than current. They'll also be machined from the start with brake duct clearance. These currently don't have the extra clearance but can be machined easy enough over the off season.

If you're wanting a set on the budget for proper Roll Center and Bump steer correction, they wont be this cheap again.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 06:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
$1500.... on a budget.... ....

Silly houses and their "budget" draining ways..
Old Aug 10, 2017, 07:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
$1500.... on a budget.... ....

Silly houses and their "budget" draining ways..
Heh, well considering the price of other options I dont think anything else properly designed even exists.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 08:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Heh, well considering the price of other options I dont think anything else properly designed even exists.
I'm not saying you're over charging, I'm saying I can't afford it right now lol
Old Aug 10, 2017, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
$1,500 is a steal!

id like to buy a set for my street car at that price! haha

Anyone thinking about this should jump on it ... unless you're racing against us then dont do it
Old Aug 10, 2017, 09:24 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I'm not saying you're over charging, I'm saying I can't afford it right now lol
On the bright side, if we can come with $1,500 for uprights, $1,900 is right around the corner. The ducting allowance + anodizing + being able to wait until ready = worth it, IMO
Old Aug 11, 2017, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
UGH I want so bad!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Alright guys, who's ready for these things. Ill have 4 sets ready with some spare bodies this week. But with upgrading the Tormach to a Haas VF2 I wont be able to finish more parts for a while. Though I will be working on some new ideas in the CNC deadtime. The arms should be ready in the next week.

One question though, what would people like to see for finishing on the steel trailing arm and bodies in the future? I could delay things and get the trailing arms plated but the current bodies are setup with bearing clearances for no finishing like we did on the uprights. Ive thought about maybe doing a clear hard anodizing then post machining the bearing bores or just sizing for that growth.

Always looking to make better parts and fancier finishing my be the next step. Downside is it only increases cost with no performance gain.
for evo 8?if so interested sorry new around here and trying to catch up with all the threads lol
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Eric SlowEvo8
for evo 8?if so interested sorry new around here and trying to catch up with all the threads lol
Yep, these are an 8/9 part. Still need to make a version for the X which wont be too much of a change.

Quick Reply: Lets See Those Custom Parts v.2023