Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Lets See Those Custom Parts v.2023

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2017, 09:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by alpinaturbo
Dallas

We look forward to the test report.

How is the car/chassis different, how do laptimes compare?
Thanks
It really is bizarre and was hard to wrap my head around. The short of it is the front end bites and turns so well. I was on old tires for testing before heading to crows with the sticker hoosiers so will need more testing.

But heres all that changed, First the control arm effects then other misc
  • Removed the nasty sticktion cause by running a urethane bushing with offset trailing bushings.
  • Moved the wheel forward so perfectly clears both front and rear of fender well. Never had so little rubbing, was great!
  • Added 2-3 deg of caster
  • Removed about 1 deg of camber
  • Got rid of the BS prolift for proper anti-dive (can talk more about that...)
  • Decrease rear toe, was -.25" per tire and now 0.
  • Big wing

Will get more testing in crows, hopefully I'll figure out the splitter before that but Im not sure if it'll happen in time.
The following users liked this post:
SWOLN (Apr 3, 2017)
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Thank you Dallas.

So you felt that you can maintain or even have more front end grip with 1 deg less camber, thanks to RC correction and 2-3 degrees more caster?

May I guess, you went from -4 to -3 degrees of camber?

Did you feel at all like the front had too much roll stiffness, or was it balanced and spring rates are still square to staggered as its typical Evo: 12/12 or 12/14 or something to that effect?
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Thanks for the info Dallas, that looks great. I keep forgetting that you run the car really low, hence the need for so much correction.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Dallas - you popped up in snapchats and pics my buddy was sending me lol. He said the car looked fast as ****
Old Apr 3, 2017, 08:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
Dallas - you popped up in snapchats and pics my buddy was sending me lol. He said the car looked fast as ****
Nice, would love to see those pics. While I'm sad at tires, it didn't make sense to run hoosiers there just to try and brake the car. But car felt ridiculous, just feels like the whole package is coming together and its really easy to drive.

Originally Posted by alpinaturbo
Thank you Dallas.

So you felt that you can maintain or even have more front end grip with 1 deg less camber, thanks to RC correction and 2-3 degrees more caster?

May I guess, you went from -4 to -3 degrees of camber?

Did you feel at all like the front had too much roll stiffness, or was it balanced and spring rates are still square to staggered as its typical Evo: 12/12 or 12/14 or something to that effect?
I was at -4.3deg with stock uprights, stock arms with PSRS, and 15mm offset top hats. I think I had enough caster that -4.3 was maybe too much but I was still killing outside and inside of tires. Then with the uprights I dropped to -3.8deg but killed inside/outside still. Now with the 30mm offset top hats and big caster from my arms I'm at -3deg and I still kept lowering the pressure in the RA1s from 38 down to 30 to try and get roll over but I think that was bad and caused some of the greasiness to get worse.

I'm hoping to get the Izze IR sensors installed to get a better look at what the tires are doing before heading to crows. Hoping that will really help figure out the camber/caster/tire pressure needs.

I don't think the front was too stiff at all, it actually just felt really good overall. I did chicken out on rear bar after all the changes and went one step softer but I will put that back to full stiff. I'm 700/800 now and pretty happy with that. Stock front bar on full soft, 26mm rear bar on full stiff.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dallas J:
alpinaturbo (Apr 3, 2017), kikiturbo (Apr 3, 2017)
Old Apr 3, 2017, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I need to go back and do some suspension studying. I looked at a picture I took over a year ago of when I had my car weighed and noticed my cross weight is like 54ish percent...but unfortunately I don't have coilivers with independent height adjustment. I'm very happy with the balance of the car at the moment, but braking seems to be my issue now. The acd seemed to really make a nice change even in stock rear diff...but I think there's still something that's "off" with the setup
Old Apr 3, 2017, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Nice, would love to see those pics. While I'm sad at tires, it didn't make sense to run hoosiers there just to try and brake the car. But car felt ridiculous, just feels like the whole package is coming together and its really easy to drive.

I was at -4.3deg with stock uprights, stock arms with PSRS, and 15mm offset top hats. I think I had enough caster that -4.3 was maybe too much but I was still killing outside and inside of tires. Then with the uprights I dropped to -3.8deg but killed inside/outside still. Now with the 30mm offset top hats and big caster from my arms I'm at -3deg and I still kept lowering the pressure in the RA1s from 38 down to 30 to try and get roll over but I think that was bad and caused some of the greasiness to get worse.

I'm hoping to get the Izze IR sensors installed to get a better look at what the tires are doing before heading to crows. Hoping that will really help figure out the camber/caster/tire pressure needs.

I don't think the front was too stiff at all, it actually just felt really good overall. I did chicken out on rear bar after all the changes and went one step softer but I will put that back to full stiff. I'm 700/800 now and pretty happy with that. Stock front bar on full soft, 26mm rear bar on full stiff.
Hi Dallas. The bold part really has me confused. The rear bar on full stiff seems like the rear would just come right around with the front biting as hard as you say it does.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 09:35 AM
EvoM Guru

I started soft on the rear bar last year (my Hotchkiss bar) cause I had the same thought. But I think what I'm learning is that fixing the front roll center greatly fixes the outside front dive. Back to my wobbly table analogy, if front isn't dropping then rear isn't lifting. So now I can use an even greater distribution of rear bar to front bar before I get excessive rear lift (again, some rear lift is actually a good thing).

It also comes back to the rear bar takes load off the inside rear/outside front, and transfers to outside rear/inside front. Load transfer, not weight transfer or course. Net effect is less work on outside front and more work in inside front and overall increased front grip.

So while it at first seems the rear would be all kinds of loose and uncontrollable, I actually have to work to get it out of shape now. In fact yesterday I couldn't. Course was too small for much speed though so will get more testing down in crows. I don't expect that will change much though because its the same config I ran last year as far as rate/bar setup goes.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dallas J:
kikiturbo (Apr 3, 2017), SWOLN (Apr 3, 2017)
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thank you, that really puts it into perspective.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Well done Dallas your R&D is really taking shape!! I noticed you mentioned your BJ sitting really close to the wheel as seen in the picture. IIRC both your RPF1's and PF01's are 18's correct?

If that's the case then that would suggest that with 17" wheels assuming identical barrel shape, which you can never assume, your 3/4" clearance would translate to 1/4" according to my mental math. is that a fair statement? And if that's the case then where is the line drawn where it would be considering inadvisable to run it on 17's?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by SWOLN
Hi Dallas. The bold part really has me confused. The rear bar on full stiff seems like the rear would just come right around with the front biting as hard as you say it does.
bryant and i have been talking about this and couldnt figure it out either ...

Originally Posted by Dallas J
I started soft on the rear bar last year (my Hotchkiss bar) cause I had the same thought. But I think what I'm learning is that fixing the front roll center greatly fixes the outside front dive. Back to my wobbly table analogy, if front isn't dropping then rear isn't lifting. So now I can use an even greater distribution of rear bar to front bar before I get excessive rear lift (again, some rear lift is actually a good thing).

It also comes back to the rear bar takes load off the inside rear/outside front, and transfers to outside rear/inside front. Load transfer, not weight transfer or course. Net effect is less work on outside front and more work in inside front and overall increased front grip.

So while it at first seems the rear would be all kinds of loose and uncontrollable, I actually have to work to get it out of shape now. In fact yesterday I couldn't. Course was too small for much speed though so will get more testing down in crows. I don't expect that will change much though because its the same config I ran last year as far as rate/bar setup goes.
that is a great explanation. cant wait to get ours on the car and try it out.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:17 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Moved the wheel forward so perfectly clears both front and rear of fender well. Never had so little rubbing, was great!
This part has me interested. My PSRS has my wheel so far forward, my fender liners have been ripped to shreds.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
^Get yourself different top hats meng!
Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:44 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
^Get yourself different top hats meng!
But I *heart* my Vorshlag LOL
Old Apr 3, 2017, 01:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Well done Dallas your R&D is really taking shape!! I noticed you mentioned your BJ sitting really close to the wheel as seen in the picture. IIRC both your RPF1's and PF01's are 18's correct?

If that's the case then that would suggest that with 17" wheels assuming identical barrel shape, which you can never assume, your 3/4" clearance would translate to 1/4" according to my mental math. is that a fair statement? And if that's the case then where is the line drawn where it would be considering inadvisable to run it on 17's?
I can put the RPF1s, PF01, and stock BBS on to measure actual clearance. I know the RPF1s are one of the worst wheels for barrel clearance but I don't recal if that translates into less than the BBSs.

Originally Posted by Meathooker
bryant and i have been talking about this and couldnt figure it out either ...

that is a great explanation. cant wait to get ours on the car and try it out.
I think understanding that once you gain geometric anti-roll, then you need to give up mechanical anti-roll to see the grip gain. But again, reducing that dive on the outer front is where the big improvement starts.

Originally Posted by kaj
This part has me interested. My PSRS has my wheel so far forward, my fender liners have been ripped to shreds.
Time to hack up those liners . I have my liners cut on the front side all the way up to cutting out the metal brake part. But mine isn't a street car.

Before I had these arms and 30mm offset top hats, I originally made the 15mm offset hat to bring the wheel back just like you're needing. Sean (letsgetthisdone) just got his car aligned with PSRS and my 15mm top hats and had somewhere around 6.5-7deg caster.

The 2D dxf for that is free to whoever wants it but it is specced around my 5bolt ohlin top hats. Apparently newer sets are 4bolt but Sean still made it work.

Quick Reply: Lets See Those Custom Parts v.2023