Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

The Evolution of F-Prepared, Re-build Log.

Old Jul 16, 2018, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Yeah I was told this weekend it was one of the only cars that "looked" fast.

It is indeed fast.

Zack
Old Jul 18, 2018, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
On course its one of the few cars that when they hit the throttle you actually can see it accelerating. My car is capable of similar accel and Ive heard those comments before but this was the first time I've been able to see an Evo driven that hard and pull like that. And cause its not overly loud, you hear woooosh and watch it pull forward.

Its sorta hard to describe till you see it.
the Hyman GTR was the first car i felt that way about.

this car looks faster!

howd you guys end up?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 01:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by Meathooker
the Hyman GTR was the first car i felt that way about.

this car looks faster!

howd you guys end up?
We struggled with rotation saturday but put down an OK time. By struggled I mean the back wouldnt move AT ALL. A bar setting change after first runs made no difference but we're already lifting slightly so it more bar wont help anymore than it already was. Time was a good 0.5-1sec off pace.

Sunday we upped rear pressure another 4psi (6psi spread) and it made a huge different in balance. Car actually felt really good again, but the heat really killed my focus and ability to push. I was 1-1.5sec off a normal pace even with the car handling better. I can even tell you on course where I sucked.

I'll be swapping in 100 lb/in heavier springs friday in Packwood for the Pro and we'll start over on the pressures to see where we want to settle.

Just watching the in-car from Josh and Zach's videos though, my car doesn't quite seem to want to turn as tight as theirs. Not sure if its a combo of caster vs camber (will resolve with IR sensor array soon), or the fact they weight like 150lbs less per front tire than I do. Either way, their car looks so-damn-fast on course. Its amazing to watch really.

And its QUIET! The two fastest door slammers there (Keisel there too) were both way quiet for their speed. Yet some other cars not so much...
Old Jul 18, 2018, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

It was a good first showing for us this year. We had the setup pretty dang close right out of the gate, all I did on the practice course was play around with the tire pressure some. I found some front grip by lowering the front pressures a little bit over last year, which I was able to do because of the reduced front weight.

We won XP both days, 30th in pax with XP multiplier the first day, would have been 3rd overall in FP pax. So I am happy that the pace of the car is there.

I think we still have some to be gained on the entry and mid-corner front grip, so we will be lowering the spring rates yet again to try and pick that up. We also have some new knuckle to strut attachments from Dallas we will be putting on to try and get some of the SAI back in the car. This should help with the lower speed jacking.

There is also more to be had in the low end on spool, the turbo has one damaged impeller causing a later spool. I am going to try and compensate with duty cycle for the pro-solo this weekend. We are looking at replacing it with the HTA71 before nats however.

Zack
Old Jul 18, 2018, 06:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by wanabgts
It was a good first showing for us this year. We had the setup pretty dang close right out of the gate, all I did on the practice course was play around with the tire pressure some. I found some front grip by lowering the front pressures a little bit over last year, which I was able to do because of the reduced front weight.

We won XP both days, 30th in pax with XP multiplier the first day, would have been 3rd overall in FP pax. So I am happy that the pace of the car is there.

I think we still have some to be gained on the entry and mid-corner front grip, so we will be lowering the spring rates yet again to try and pick that up. We also have some new knuckle to strut attachments from Dallas we will be putting on to try and get some of the SAI back in the car. This should help with the lower speed jacking.

There is also more to be had in the low end on spool, the turbo has one damaged impeller causing a later spool. I am going to try and compensate with duty cycle for the pro-solo this weekend. We are looking at replacing it with the HTA71 before nats however.

Zack

Zack, on the geometry make sure your thinking about slider axis and not steering axis. Its the slider axis that dictates your instant center and effects the jacking. Basically jacking and camber gain have an inverse relationship with slider axis. Also, I have not seen or heard of a suspension program that gets the slider axis part right where they all assume its the same but in an evo its significantly different
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

Zack, on the geometry make sure your thinking about slider axis and not steering axis. Its the slider axis that dictates your instant center and effects the jacking. Basically jacking and camber gain have an inverse relationship with slider axis. Also, I have not seen or heard of a suspension program that gets the slider axis part right where they all assume its the same but in an evo its significantly different
Good thing I don't make adjustments in the computer! Laser alignment rack tells all, on the RX7 it was very easy to see the increase in jacking with SAI on the alignment rack. My guess is the same will be true with the evo.

Zack
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Ahh, I see. So that makes sense why you wanted the strut mount with less camber if you're measuring jacking directly. Intuitively you're maximizing instant center length to keep the inside from lifting. Am I getting that right?

On my car I sort of did the same by necessity. I made a strut mount with the same reduced camber but also another 6mm longer. But that was specifically to get more tire clearance. Not sure how much room you have from the strut to the inner fender but we could go crazy to maximize things on your setup. Probably not before Nats, but certainly this winter.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 09:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
(will resolve with IR sensor array soon)
I'm very interested to see how you mount these. Are you using the Izze sensors?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dallas, we are looking for more caster jacking by increasing SAI. Not talking about roll center (N-line) jacking due to cornering forces. Roll center should be somewhere near ground level, so minimal jacking forces there. Not too concerned about the front roll center as long as its not too deep into Mordor.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

^^^this.

Zack
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Ahh, gotcha. Thats definitely a different thing than RC jacking.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

Well it's just about time to start getting the ball rolling in here again. Our year went quick and our performance at Solo Nationals left a lot to be desired. We broke down as a team, and just in general didn't perform anywhere near our potential.

There is a pretty small list of things that MUST be done to get the car ready for next year. But we did damage our Forced Performance Green turbocharger, and are looking at replacing it. Because we have the old outdated version it appears that it is not worth fixing, and the new ones are just mega dollars.

Instead, we have decided to spend more money. After a lot of research and debate, we have ordered the Garrett g25-660 turbo, in a vband housing. We will be running the small .72 turbine housing, and installing a large external gate. The hope here is that we can reduce backpressure at higher rpm to help keep the power up. The ETS manifold does have larger runners, but I am hoping we can still hit our torque goals of having 300wtq before 4000rpm.

One of the eye opening things of nats was running my fastest run of sunday on wastegate default boost.....Even on only 12psi I was able to put in a pretty competitive time, and the car just felt really smooth in power application. So I'm less inclined to focus on the big punch like I was before.

Anywho, will be updated soon as the work begins!

Favorite pic of the car from nats!

Zack
The following users liked this post:
Is2scooby (Nov 20, 2018)
Old Nov 20, 2018, 05:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
But all the FP turbos are on sale now! The BB stuff is over $500 off and comes with other stuff you can sell to recoup even more.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ayoustin
But all the FP turbos are on sale now! The BB stuff is over $500 off and comes with other stuff you can sell to recoup even more.
I just can't justify paying nearly 900 dollars just to have the true MHI twin scroll housing on my turbo. The open scroll stainless stuff doesn't seem worthwhile. I think at this point it is smarter to go t3 vband, and have a whole range of turbos available to us.

Zack
Old Nov 20, 2018, 05:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
Any MHI BB turbo is $2100 and comes with their oil line and intake setup. That's barely more expensive than the Garrett by itself. I feel like I'm one of the few people who see how capable the stock flange is. Especially being an autox car I don't see any benefit moving to a larger frame setup.

http://www.forcedperformance.net/mer...tegory_Code=SP

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Evolution of F-Prepared, Re-build Log.