Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Anyone here ever drive a 2014ish Z28 Camaro on the track?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2020, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
Anyone here ever drive a 2014ish Z28 Camaro on the track?

While I do love my Evo as a track car, I am thinking there could be something different out there that is as much fun but geared more toward track use in stock form. From doing some research, for somewhere between $40-55K, you can get a 911, GTR, Vette, or a Z28 Camaro. For those of you who dont know about the Camaro, its GMs pure track toy and was a very limited release. As I am getting older and still live in the smog **** capital of the world, I might be simplifying things in the near future.

What I like about the Camaro...

- Carbon ceramic rotors with big calipers
- Oil, trans and rear end coolers
- 305's at all 4 corners (r-comp from the factory)
- Dry sump
- 500hp 480tq
- Aero that actually does something

To me, straight off the production line, it seems you could track this car without needing to do anything. That means, there really wouldnt be much to modify to have a fun and reliable track car. Reviews say its an amazing car but those are normally written by someone who doesnt race. So my question is, to those of you that have track experience and have driven one, how was it? Much to improve on or pretty good out of the box? Maybe it would be a good car in stock form for a SCCA class?

Lets hear some thoughts.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 03:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Its based on the 5th gen camaro which is very meh in the looks and ergonomics department. Id rather have a 6th gen SS 1LE at that price. But Im more of a mustang guy so Id be all up on a GT350 instead.

Edit: And I can totally appreciate you're desire for something fast on track without the need for tons of power mods. I keep looking at base GTs for that reason where I can play with suspension but the motor is plenty fast (upper teens in 1/4 traps)
Old Feb 24, 2020, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

If I was a Ford guy, I would be all over the GT350R! But I am not and I work in LS land so the Camaro makes more sense. Ya its not the best looking car out there but thats not what I am after. I am after a fun track car that I dont need to dump $10k in, like the Evo, to be fast and reliable. I am looking to be more competitive and my Evo doesnt really fit into any class based on the mods I have. Sure I can adjust it to fit a class (which means more money and time) but then I am just going further down the rabbit hole. If I can pay more up front and have to do less in the long run, thats what I am looking for (maybe even register it in CA and pass smog legally!). Plus with all the LS specific events out here, I would be able to compete in a ton of different series out this way.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 05:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
ZL1 1LE over the Z28 _any_day_of_the_week_

I actually think the Camaro SS 1LE is about the same around the track as the previous-gen Z28

One data point I have personally with the Z28... An instructor at track days I used to frequent in California bought a Z28 and had it for about a year. Him and I are about the same driving skill level, in the highest group in HPDE. I was at an event with him and his Z28 and he was curious and wanted to have fun together on track so we lined up in the pits. The Z28 was pretty quick but I didn't have to try very hard to almost get half a lap in front of him on average.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 06:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Def get a gen6 Camaro. SS or ZL1 1LE.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Ok seriously, besides the engine difference, why a 6th gen over 5th? I know they are a bit lighter but what else makes them better? Base model ss doesnt get the fancy brakes or fatty tires which is going to be an instant expense for track duty. No dry sump either. Those arent cheap items. I get that I can get a 6th gen ss for 10k less than a z28 but will 10k in a ss make it better than a z28? And I am talking about a track car, not a one lap wonder. I want consistency, not cool down laps.

As of right now, the zl1 doesnt fit the build. Its fast yes but it's got a blower. Blowers dont make for the best track car. Those iats can get up there quickly.

Last edited by Lumpy Sticks; Feb 24, 2020 at 09:45 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 07:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Ok seriously, besides the engine difference, why a 6th gen over 5th? I know they are a bit lighter but what else makes them better? Base model ss doesnt get the fancy brakes or fatty tires which is going to be an instant expense for track duty. No dry sump either. Those arent cheap items. I get that I can get a 6th gen ss for 10k less than a z28 but will 10k in a ss make it better than a z28? And I am talking about a track car, not a one lap wonder. I want consistency, not cool down laps.

As of right now, the zl1 doesnt fit the build. Its fast yes but it's got a blower. Blowers dont make for the best track car. Those iats cant get up there quickly.
the 6th gen chassis is worlds apart.

The zl1 1le has a bizillion coolers and frontal air intakes and you can beat on it all day long.

Sounds like you already made your decision though...

keep in mind even the 6th gen SS 1LE is better than the z28
Old Feb 24, 2020, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

I havent made my mind up, that's why I'm asking. A lot of you guys have tons more track time then me, in a lot more cars, so that's why I am asking. My only issue with the 6th gen zl1 is that they are still 50-60k. Now we are talking gtr vs zl1 at that point.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 08:11 PM
EvoM Guru

GTR is super capable but its a video game. To digital, not enough analog.

My 2 gripes with the Camaro are the visibility when not racing, and rear diff options. Which are basically nil. You can get the 1LE and if you have some insider connections get the non-factory delivered but chevy developed track tunes. Theres apparently AutoX and Track specific versions of them. And the ABS is different on the non-1LE versions from 16 to like 19. If it were me though and a chevy was the thing to get, I would be getting a non-1LE and figuring out how to get a real 1.5way clutch diff in the car.

Or buy a mustang and have all the options
Old Feb 24, 2020, 08:16 PM
EvoM Guru

As of right now, the zl1 doesnt fit the build. Its fast yes but it's got a blower. Blowers dont make for the best track car. Those iats cant get up there quickly.
The gen6 SS 1LE package comes with the same brakes as the ZL1.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 08:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Man, I keep going in circles about what interesting car I want to get next and part of me circles the S2000 but when I think about that I always immediately think about how can I get more power reliably. Its always that #1 cause I just dont like slow cars.

And then every time I hear a Mustang or Camaro, Im reminded they make the power stock and just need a bit of help in the suspension/diff area. And then the sound...
Old Feb 24, 2020, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
GTR is super capable but its a video game. To digital, not enough analog.
Lap times are laps times though. Especially when racing. Digital or not.

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The gen6 SS 1LE package comes with the same brakes as the ZL1.
But they still arent the carbon ceramic rotors or a 6/4 piston combo as the Z28 has right? I think that's an option for the ZL1 only.

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Man, I keep going in circles about what interesting car I want to get next and part of me circles the S2000 but when I think about that I always immediately think about how can I get more power reliably. Its always that #1 cause I just dont like slow cars.

And then every time I hear a Mustang or Camaro, Im reminded they make the power stock and just need a bit of help in the suspension/diff area. And then the sound...
Dont get a s2000. I had one back in 06. Great car for sure but not mod friendly. Mine was only pushing 300fwp and was breaking everything.

That's exactly why I would like to get in to something that has enough hp from the factory and build on the handling from there. Seems like it will be less problems and maintenance. Just really expensive tires.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Lap times are laps times though. Especially when racing. Digital or not.But they still arent the carbon ceramic rotors or a 6/4 piston combo as the Z28 has right? I think that's an option for the ZL1 only.Dont get a s2000. I had one back in 06. Great car for sure but not mod friendly. Mine was only pushing 300fwp and was breaking everything.

That's exactly why I would like to get in to something that has enough hp from the factory and build on the handling from there. Seems like it will be less problems and maintenance. Just really expensive tires.
With any real amount of actual tracking, you'll be repacking the carbon brakes with irons so you can afford to drive the car...

They are 6 piston front and 4 piston rear.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Feb 24, 2020 at 11:32 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 03:46 AM
EvoM Guru

I havent made my mind up, that's why I'm asking. A lot of you guys have tons more track time then me, in a lot more cars, so that's why I am asking. My only issue with the 6th gen zl1 is that they are still 50-60k. Now we are talking gtr vs zl1 at that point.
The camaro is faster and more capable than the GTR. Hate to say it but the GTR is “old tech” at this point.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 07:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by razorlab
The camaro is faster and more capable than the GTR. Hate to say it but the GTR is “old tech” at this point.
More capable is tough. A ZL1 1LE faster in stock form, yes. But the GTR can be built to make 1100whp and spool like stock with the ETS quick spool turbo kit. And then you can put 335's on it. It would be hard ask for a Camaro to keep you with that.

I get not wanting a GTR though. The "tax" is real, and transmissions aren't cheap.

Quick Reply: Anyone here ever drive a 2014ish Z28 Camaro on the track?