Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

GTA Super Lap Battle Buttonwillow / RS Motors

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 07:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOizmm
we fill in the middle. We also use a 3qt accusump. if we overfill pan, we get a TON of oil pushed into the catch can after it dumps the accusump.

This has been happening for years, and even stock evos on these new street tires are more than likely seeing big drops. We've pulled our motors apart and surprisingly look really good. we've really only had issues with cranks cracking (mostly due to launching). That's a whole separate issue though.

We plan to make our own custom pan, have it centered under the engine better and route the exhaust out the side.
Interesting to see it dropping that much even with an accusump.

Are you cracking factory cranks or is this just an aftermarket crank issue?

Are there any exhaust restrictions for the unlimited class? I thought about doing the same thing but limited requires the exhaust to exit after the front axle.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
Interesting to see it dropping that much even with an accusump.

Are you cracking factory cranks or is this just an aftermarket crank issue?

Are there any exhaust restrictions for the unlimited class? I thought about doing the same thing but limited requires the exhaust to exit after the front axle.
we've cracked stock and several manley forged cranks. the stock crank actually would last the longest. We're currently using billet cranks.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still can't get over how fast this car is.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 04:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Figured I'd throw this here because it was talked about. I talked to Manley at PRI today. They are well aware of the cracking issues that the forged cranks have and already are testing a new version that should be out towards the end of 2018 if testing goes well. They said the issue is mostly due to how the oil hole is drilled for the number 4 rod journal.

Last edited by Ayoustin; Dec 8, 2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 04:49 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
Figured I'd throw this here because it was talked about. I talked to Manley and PRI today. They are well aware of the cracking issues that the forged cranks have and already are testing a new version that should be out towards the end of 2018 if testing goes well. They said the issue is mostly due to how the oil hole is drilled for the number 4 rod journal.
After RS Motors displayed more than a few of the these failures & noted they are done w/them, I would likely never trust a forged Manley crank in a build

What a big engineering / manufacturing mistake, if that is true?

Thats the cost of being in business and making mistakes in design /production

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Jan 9, 2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 05:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
After RS Motors displayed more than a few of the these failures & noted they are done w/them, I would likely never trust them in a build

What a big engineering / manufacturing mistake, if that is true?

Thats the cost of being in business and making mistakes in design /production
Maybe I worded that wrong. I don't think they had knowledge of it prior to it being a wider spread issue, but they have become aware of it by now. I've never had any issues with Manley stuff in the engines that I've built. I'm happy to hear they've kept their eyes open about this and are rectifying it.

The old design wasn't without reason either. Their intention for drilling that oiling hole as it was to increase lubrication to the #4 rod.

The rep I spoke with also mentioned that twin/triple disc clutches only make this issue worse.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
We've talked to Manley few years ago already. They were well aware of the issue and told us it wasn't the crank and told us to try different clutch setups. We've did that and no change. almost all your forged cranks are coming from the exact same china plant with a different name on it.

dont waste your time on a forged crank, stay stock (or Eagle), or go right to a billet crank.
The following users liked this post:
DontStopMe (Jan 10, 2018)
Old Dec 10, 2017, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Hey guys, congrats on the win! I am not familiar with this event so didn't read it till now. Great vid. Loved it.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
For anyone that is interested here is the recap video from the event. We had the gear and gasoline guys following the RS Motors evo for the weekend and documenting how it went.

The following 2 users liked this post by the-moss:
DontStopMe (Jan 10, 2018), Jeff_Jeske (Jan 27, 2018)
Old Jan 9, 2018, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dope.. Congrats!.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 07:24 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

The Short:

Andy & RS Motors had a bit of an issue today at Superlap ButtonWillow. Some type of CDI issue w/the no lift shift & cylinder no. 2 lost all pressure They drove 3 plus hours north to RS Motors West & are doing a full engine swap. (These guys work so hard).

They have a donor engine avail (RS built 2.0) & will be installing that into Andy's RS Motors EVO & will return back to the track Friday

This years RS EvO was a step or two ahead of last years & were all set to run sub 1:40 laps

Always pulling for these guys to do well & hate to see this level of issue right at event start

The following users liked this post:
Is2scooby (Nov 18, 2018)
Old Nov 8, 2018, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Always pulling for Andy too. Love how he's surrounded by such a capable and determined team, makes all the drama melt away.

Just how many motors has Andy gone through lol. There should be a "special episode" boosted puts together on all the WTF moments haha.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 09:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Their efforts and push is amazing. Hard not to root for them to succeed even though Im a Team Professional Awesome fanboi. Either way, evo needs to be on top!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 05:53 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Engine swap complete late last night. RS Motors are heading back to BRP

Old Nov 9, 2018, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I believe Tom O'Gorman ran a 1:40 yesterday in Professional Awesome's Evo. Looking forward to seeing what they can do today.

Quick Reply: GTA Super Lap Battle Buttonwillow / RS Motors