Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2018 SM (Street Mod) Autocross Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is anyone running 335/30 18 and if so what sort of offset wheels did you find to bring them in as close as possible to the struts and clear the caliper. granted mine is a x but fitment should get me close
Old Mar 12, 2018, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
335/30/18 was my plan on a 9... on 18x12 +20. I haven't had a chance to test fit the setup though.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 01:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
Richard, whats the plan now for getting the car back together?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Eh, deciding whether I actually want to get it back together or just part out. Heart really isn't that in it right now.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by RJones
Eh, deciding whether I actually want to get it back together or just part out. Heart really isn't that in it right now.
Bummer dude, but seems like cycling getting more and more serious. You running at Crows this year? I have an open seat right now. Ive been considering moving on to some ST platform getting out of the SM power game. Once I finish the rear suspension for the Evo, might need a new platform to start working on.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

I'm still running FS with Sean occasionally, but I don't think we're that serious this year. Not planning to do either of the Crows national events. My training load for cycling is somewhere around 12-14hr on a given week, with races most weekends, so not sure where I would even find time for the Evo if I had it back. If the motor gets done sometime soon, I'll probably just tinker around with it when I have time.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Plan for 2018...more seat time, more seat time, more seat time.
Already working on my front splitter and hopefully a big ole **** sometime later on this year. Definitely time for a real front diff as well since I'm spinning the inside tire in tight corner exits.
Three events under my belt so far with good results including Champ Tour at Dixie where I finished 3rd!!! woot woot!!!. C
Old Mar 26, 2018, 08:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
I keep telling myself I'll try SM when my motor finally lets go, but (un)fortunately it never does.

Beyond a built motor, what other reliability mods are required to keep an SM car semi-reliable?

Are any of the transfer case rebuild options sufficient? Or is the T-case a wear item every few years at these power levels?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 09:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Construct
I keep telling myself I'll try SM when my motor finally lets go, but (un)fortunately it never does.

Beyond a built motor, what other reliability mods are required to keep an SM car semi-reliable?

Are any of the transfer case rebuild options sufficient? Or is the T-case a wear item every few years at these power levels?
Im still on my first T-case rebuild which I just did for piece of mind. Seems if you keep Pro's and launching within reason they can hold together just fine. I can make 500whp but typically run at 400whp and also run a single plate (XTSS) instead of a twin disc clutch. Basically just take care of her and dont beat on it needlessly. That said, once moving theres no holding back with the exception of max boost. Though definitely get rid of stock front diff if you still have it.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 09:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Crows Tour, SM is dead. Long live SSM
Old Apr 12, 2018, 02:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was trying to go on and corner balance my car today and running into a issue trying to get from to rear better and curious what you all think. Is it worth it to mess with my sway bar link mounting to get more clearance between my sway bar link and the spring seat? keep in mind this is full tank of gas, full size battery and heavier winter wheel set still on it along with i may leave the factory seats in it for tt rules
lf 948 rf 968
lr 668 rr 663
Old Jul 23, 2018, 08:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Just wrapped up Packwood Tour and Pro weekends and talk about a roller coaster of emotions.. Been trying to get the new setup dialed as well as fit with the flags and the tires beside the spring instead of the perch. The new setup is with no front sway bar which by Pro is now working SO GOOD.

Tour: Saturday was a crap shoot, in the 12 runs we didnt get the back of the car to move 1 time. It was just way too planted and while we had solid grip we had no yaw to get the car to turn around things. Fast enough for a good 1st margin (like 1.3 seconds lead) but frustrating to drive. Also PAX results were sad along with where I know I normally place to others. In fact, because of the lack of rotation I would say I wasnt faster and might have been slower than just running my DGAF RE71r's. We also made a bar setting change in the rear but even on full soft we were lifting a rear which means more bar isnt going to help in the area we needed.

Had many comments wondering what was going on since car just didnt look like normal. People just thought it looked slow and painful, I agreed

Sunday we jacked up the rear tires pressure 4psi and it was a huge difference in balance. Front grip of course is the same but now the rear is actually playful. Unfortunately is was about 100deg in the shade and way hotter on the asphalt. My head was fried since we ran last and I just found my self coasting around things and through slaloms. So times were again weak but car actually felt like a huge improvement. Even with the balance change the average sat to sunday split of most people was around 0.5 sec, and I managed to go about 1.5 sec slower.

Oh well, still got a win.

Pro: I ordered 100lb/in heavier springs for the rear and swapped them in Friday before pro and set rear bar back to full soft. Reduced spread on pressure to 4psi. Launch set to 5000rpm with a med boost setting that seemed to hit around 24psi and held pretty steady there. That setup seem to light up the tires quite a bit netting mostly 1.7 60fts but clutch and drivetrain stayed happy so I stuck with it.

To make a class we got some CSP guys to jump to SSM for a full S1 which gave them a good chance to win 2nd place tires. They can be pretty dang fast so I was sorta worried even though I had a pretty significant advantage on the line. Walking the course most people seemed to think it was too tight and definitely a miata course. Well there were two really tricky turn-arounds and my data says I still managed to hit 60 before I had to brake for first turn. There were some good digs to pull out of so I would definitely consider this a power course, time potential seemed to agree there were huge advantages to have HP.

Balance change from the spring change made a huge difference. Car was dancing and doing great things, all 4 tires were heating up at about the same rate, and car was just super fun to drive. Really seemed to respond well to almost over driving as long as you get early on everything. Over driving just got the rear to dance around things. I struggled with the lights as I was practicing preloading the clutch so things were just coming off the line so much faster. I had to try and find a place between last yellow and green to go on, didnt work very consistently for me. My two fastest runs saturday were with redlights, but data shows one side was a 1sec improvement and other 0.2sec.

I ended up top qualifier with a left side run having a 1.0 light, and right side having a 0.8 light. Terrible, or you might say lots of sand for the super challenge. I had a 1.5 sec lead over 2nd, but the CSP guys that jumped managed to get their 2nd place tire.

Was all ready with my game plan for super challenge and tried to run easy laps with my "sand", 1st lap the messed up on the computer and our lights dropped at the same time. I ran anyways with a 1.3 reaction because I was suppose to go 2sec after my opponent. So now we have a re-run. Next side Im just trying to take it easy and hit my points. Well, turning in at slower speed doesnt rotate a car, turned right into a cone... FUUUUUU. Try to go ham on the other side and break out to save things but its no good. Light was a low .5xx and data says I was 0.2sec slower than my best run (other redlight) so I made up time but not enough. Boooo, time to pack up RV/Trailer and head home.

TLDR; Car sucked, Car got better, Car got awesome. Won 4 tires between Tour and Pro, won Top Qualifier for $100.
The following users liked this post:
alpinaturbo (Sep 4, 2018)
Old Jul 23, 2018, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Congrats man! Considering all of that you still won pretty nicely! Enjoy it and good luck in Lincoln!
Old Jul 23, 2018, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Car looked much improved this weekend!

Zack
Old Sep 3, 2018, 02:25 PM
EvoM Guru

#solonatshasstarted

Practice in the books, possibly 100% irrelevant cause forecast calls for constant rain. If it's wet enough, should be on h2o's but as long as it's just damp we'd stick with A7s.

FWIW, practice felt good. Car is pushy at the limit there but if you're patient coming in and agressive coming out with tidy lines it seems to be quick.

Quick Reply: 2018 SM (Street Mod) Autocross Discussion